Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arm-Spin's Greco Award

Default Arm-Spin's Greco Award

I haven't watched all the matches so I'm open to suggestions

Outstanding Wrestler: Lopez from Cuba. He just makes it look so easy, and his back suplex in the quarters was unreal. I also considered Ali-Akbari who beat two world champions.

Golden Pylon award (given to wrestler who does the least to win): Marinov at 84 kg, the tournament's only surprise winner. I've never seen anyone get his butt kicked so thoroughly and still win a match as in his quarterfinal vs Mishine. Also won at least 2 matches with 3rd period defence. Though, if I can ever summon up the courage to watch Vachadze's string of 1-0,2-0 matches I might change my mind.

Best non-winner: Amorayan at 55 kg. Man, that guy hits a lot of big throws. He also took Sourian down twice in the semis- unfortunately he used a double leg takedown.

Default Re: Arm-Spin's Greco Award

With now Albiev, coming in either Soryan or Lopez were easy calls in my opinion for best overall guy and they definitely lived up to expectations. I'll have to watch Ali-Akbari's matches as like you say he had some great results.

If I may arm-spin, I would give Outstanding wrestler to Amir Ali Akbari because of the competition he faced. And best non winner to Nematpour at 84 Kg because he couldn't compete.
    Last edited by pooball; 09-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pooball View Post
    And best non winner to Nematpour at 84 Kg because he couldn't compete.
    Yes, at least by Iranian standards.

Today, at the Tehran airport, he was honored as real world champ.

He poses for a picture of the champions together with the champs Sourian & Aliakbari and the head coach.
    In the decoration, his photo (with the gold medal from the Asians) appears together with the Moscow photos of Sourian and Aliakbari (only part of it can be seen in the first pic above).
    Like Sorian & Aliakbari + the head coach, he was awarded both a diploma and a sign (in the black box), whereas all other wrestlers and coaches got the black thing only.

Maybe you can help us to understand what is written right to his photo.
    In the national news, his non-participation was interpreted as a contribution to the Palestinian cause.

Quote Originally Posted by akzent View Post
    Yes, at least by Iranian standards.

Today, at the Tehran airport, he was honored as real world champ.

He poses for a picture of the champions together with the champs Sourian & Aliakbari and the head coach.
    In the decoration, his photo (with the gold medal from the Asians) appears together with the Moscow photos of Sourian and Aliakbari (only part of it can be seen in the first pic above).
    Like Sorian & Aliakbari + the head coach, he was awarded both a diploma and a sign (in the black box), whereas all other wrestlers and coaches got the black thing only.
    it isn't unusual in Iran ! and it's the least thing they can do for him when they order him to forfeit. I remember Arash Miresmaeili (World judo champion, who had the same story in 2004 Olympics , he was the world champion in 2001 and 2003 and the clear favourite for the gold medal) he received his draw just a day before the openning ceremony and he was the flag bearer. I remember he said somewhere that he cried the whole night in his room. so to me it's the least thing they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by akzent View Post
    Maybe you can help us to understand what is written right to his photo.
    In the national news, his non-participation was interpreted as a contribution to the Palestinian cause.
    they wrote " Pahlawan Khosh Amadi" = "Welcome Pahlawan" I'm sure you know what Pahlawan mean

Such a shame.

Can somebody explain to me why Nematpour couldn't compete? Do they have some kind of rule that they can't wrestle against Israelians?
    Last edited by Koopa_; 09-12-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Yes they have. Since in Iranian view Israel doesn't exist (at least politically), also Israeli wrestlers doesn't exist, so a physical match against a virtual opponent is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa_ View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why Nematpour couldn't compete? Do they have some kind of rule that they can't wrestle against Israelians?
    Iran does not recognise Israel as a nation therefore when Iranians are drawn against Israel the government does not allow them to compete.