Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: 2010 Freestyle/Greco/Women's World Team Trials: Saturday Championship Series

Default Re: 2010 Freestyle/Greco/Women's World Team Trials: Friday Final Results Posted

Final Series Match Ups

Freestyle
    55 KG: Obe Blanc (Gator Wrestling Club) v. Angel Escobedo (NYAC)
    Blanc def Escobedo 1-0/2-0
    Escobedo def Blanc 1-0/1-1
    Blanc def Escobedo 1-0/3-2

66 KG: Jared Frayer (Gator Wrestling Club) v. Brent Metcalf (NYAC)
    Frayer def Metcalf 1-0/1-0
    Metcalf def Frayer 3-0/3-4/1-1
    Metcalf def Frayer 0-6/4-0/1-0

84 KG: Jake Herbert (NYAC) v. Keith Gavin (Lehigh Valley AC)
    Gavin def Herbert 4-1/7-3
    Herbert def Gavin 0-3/3-2/1-0
    Herbert def Gavin 1-0/1-0

120 KG: Les Sigman (Nittany Lion WC) v. Tervel Dlagnev (Sunkist Kids)
    Sigman def Dlagnev 1-0/2-1
    Sigman def Dlagnev 3-3/4-1

Greco
    60 KG: Nathan Piasecki (US Army) v. Jeremiah Davis (US Army)
    Davis def Piasecki 2-0/4-1
    Davis def Piasecki 2-0/5-0

66 KG: Glenn Garrison (US Army) v. Faruk Sahin (US Army)
    Sahin def Garrison 1-0/3-0
    Garrison def Sahin 2-2/0-1/4-0
    Sahin def Garrison 1-0/0-1/2-0

96 KG: Justin Ruiz (NYAC) v. RC Johnson (Sunkist Kids)
    Ruiz def Johnson 0-1/1-0/1-0
    Ruiz def Johnson 1-0/2-0

Women's
    48 KG: Clarissa Chun (Sunkist Kids) v. Alyssa Lampe (Sunkist Kids)
    Chun def Lampe 3-2/1-0
    Lampe def Chun 2-1/4-1
    Lampe def Chun 1-0/0-1/3-1

55 KG: Tatianna Padilla (Sunkist Kids) v. Helen Maroulis (NYAC)
    Maroulis def Padilla 1-0/1-1
    Padilla def Maroulis 0-2/1-0/2-0
    Padilla def Maroulis 3-1/1-0

63 KG: Elena Pirozhkova (Gator Wrestling Club) v. Veronica Carlson (NYAC)
    Pirozhkova def Carlson 2-0/1-0
    Pirozhkova def Carlson 3-0/1-0

Default Re: 2010 Freestyle/Greco/Women's World Team Trials: Saturday Championship Series

Same old Herbert... gets lit up until it REALLY matters, and then suddenly he's great again.

Default Re: 2010 Freestyle/Greco/Women's World Team Trials: Saturday Championship Series

Herbert did a lot of standing in front of Gavin in the first two matches that allowed Gavin to get to his shots. He did a much better job moving his feet in the third period.

Arm-SPin, Frayer got cautioned twice, Metcalf once. Frayer got "cautioned off" the mat. It was pretty lame.

That said, liek I said, I thought he benefited from a dubious call earlier.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

That second match between Herbert and Gavin was awesome. So much heart by both of them. It made the 3rd match seem pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Arm-SPin, Frayer got cautioned twice, Metcalf once. Frayer got "cautioned off" the mat. It was pretty lame.

That said, liek I said, I thought he benefited from a dubious call earlier.
    That's really awful. Even if Frayer really shouldn't be screwing around if he won the ball toss, and just take the damn leg.

Going through the webcast now...

Wow, was Herbert ever awful that first match. I know I already mention it, but I just don't get how Herbert looks like a world silver medalist at some times and like a takedown dummy at others. The second Herbert/Gavin match was pretty exciting. Poor Gavin- so close.

Loved Metcalf's front headlock throw against Frayer in that second match. And Frayers crazy reverse-jump-throw thingy. And the constant scrambles. That match is an instant classic.

Sigman is soooo slick. So is Dlagnev, too bad only one of these can wrestle at the worlds.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 06-13-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Regarding the Metcalf/Frayer matchup: I'd like to hear from a high level official why Frayer got cautioned. Maybe his position wasn't perfect but he didn't look like he was doing anything wrong. My position after watching and rewatching that clinch is "what a pile of crap" but I might be missing something. Someone in the know, please explain.

http://www.press-citizen.com/print/a...-Championships According to this article, it sounds like Metcalf got out and scored, rather than Frayer getting a caution. Looking at the video, that makes much more sense... still a contoversial call in that Metcalf probably started to kick out before the whistle, but not quite as "what the hell were they thinking" awful as a caution vs Frayer.

Anybody know for certain?

Oh and here's another match won by a guy clearly starting his defense before the whistle, guess it pays to cheat sometimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DVmmUmcUA
    Last edited by arm-spin; 06-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Just to clarify on the call I made on the webcast-- Since I didn't have the benefit of a replay right away with how things happened, I incorrectly called the scoring -- the point in the third period clinch. It was NOT a caution and one, Metcalf was awarded a takedown. So those who watch, my confusion (as many others) is noted, but the call was 1 point for Metcalf on a TD, not a caution. I called that sequence incorrectly.

Just got home and watched the sequence again.

Thank you for clarifying Dart Shark. In that case the official didn't flat-out rob Frayer, but rather had to make a difficult judgement call about wether Metcalf jumped the gun or not. And Metcalf deserves credit for sucessfully counterattacking from a difficult position.

Wow... I just watched this one, and Metcalf "jumps" even worse. He seems to have this "clinch" thing figured out, and has some serious power in his legs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExPtN...om=PL&index=14
    Last edited by arm-spin; 06-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.