Thread: I'm curious about Canadian high school and college wrestling.

Electric!! I'm curious about Canadian high school and college wrestling.

I don't know whether to really post this thread in the college, high school, or FS and GR forum. I know that since Canada wrestles in the international styles mostly; it kind of makes me what to post it to this forum.

For any Canadians, I have these questions to ask:

Just what styles are wrestled in high school and college (what Canadians mostly call "university") in Canada? Is it FS or GR or both? What are significant rule changes, if any, from the rules produced by FILA?

This may be hard to answer, but has any Canadian wrestled American folkstyle? If so, what are the main differences in terms of the experience? Have you found it hard to transition between styles? Which styles, folkstyle or FS/GR are the most rewarding and fun experiences for Canadians?

Do you find that wrestling is a popular sport among students in Canada? Has it gained the kind of traction it has in the United States with youth clubs and school/college teams?

What other things are significant about high school and university wrestling in Canada that you think Americans should know?
    Last edited by DoubleGrapevine; 10-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Default Re: I'm curious about Canadian high school and college wrestling.

I know Simon Fraser University (alma mater of Igali) wrestled in the NIAA and I believe they won the title one year.

They do wrestle NAIA. They even gave up one of their home meets to wrestle at East Valley HS in Spokane, and put on a short clinic just before weigh ins. I took my HS team up for the clinic and the dual against Montana Northern. I'd love to see them do it again.

I looked it up. Simon Fraser has won the title twice, 1988, 1993.
    They have also had more idividual champs than any other school (38).
    Igali won three titles, other Simon Fraser titlists I recornized were Chris Wilson and Jeff Thue

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...dWrestling.pdf

I can try to answer your questions:

1: It is almost all freestyle. As mentioned Simon Fraser wrestles some folkstyle. Some other University teams (ie Regina) also make trips to compete in folkstyle tournaments. Other than the various open national championships there isn't a whole lot of greco wrestled. College (CIS) wrestling is freestyle.

We follow FILA rules. In some high school tournnaments back-arching throws and westpoint rides are not allowed for safety reasons. In the varsity and sr. levels the refs are relatively quick to award "fleeing the hold" cautions (basically a stalling call) which you don't see much international competitions.

I wrestled folkstyle once, didn't really know what I as doing and couldn't get off bottom. It sucked, but it looked like it would be fun if I wasn't getting ridden all match. Biggest suprise was how well-built all the American wrestlers were. Wrestlers in Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia also like their greco; everywhere else it's pretty much all freestyle.

There are a lot of high school wrestling teams and a significant number of varsity programs; however, there aren't a lot of wrestling fans in Canada, apart from active or past competitors. Can't really be compared to the States.

ODH, another Simon Fraser standout you might have heard of is Justin Abdou... pretty dominant at NAIA's I think, placed top 10 in the world several times and beat Cael Sanderson in a freestyle matc.