Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 2016 Games for Chicago

Default No 2016 Games for Chicago

11:29 a.m., ET: Chicago is out. The Windy City has been removed from consideration after just one round of voting. Tokyo went out in the second round, leaving Rio de Janeiro and Madrid.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/200...openhagen.html

That means no wrestling at McCormick Place in 2016 ;-(

Default Re: No 2016 Games for Chicago

So bummed. If Chicago can't get out of the first round of voting, it doesn't bode well for any US city in the near future. Not sure I'd want to even try if I was the mayor of a major city - SO much money and effort goes into the process.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

The Los Angeles Times explanation of why not Chicago. I see that Rio got it instead.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...tory?track=rss

Isn't Rio like the murder capital of the world?

True. Rio has issues. They are the underdog we can never be, and hopefully the infusion of cash will do good things for the infrastructure and the economy there.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Well, South Africa got the world cup of soccer... and there isn't many places more murder filled than that. Maybe this is starting a trend

I knew from the start Chicago wasn't going to get it. Nothing culturally or historically interesting about Chicago. I'm glad Rio got it. That's a great city.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Veteran sports writer/reporter Christine Brennan, in an interview with Ray Suarez on PBS' "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" this evening was as stunned as much of the US. She said that, just this week, Rio was forced to pull out of hosting a World swimming event to be held LATER THIS MONTH because the facilities weren't ready and there was no money to complete the project. She thought that the IOC voters voted with their heart, not their heads -- that they were won over by Brazil's prime message of "There's never been an Olympics in South America, isn't it about time?" (She said there was a graphic in their presentation -- a world map with 30 past Olympic sites (Summer and Winter Games) highlighted in Europe, and 12 for North America... and nothing in South America.)

She also said that there is considerable tension between the IOC and USOC, and that didn't help Chicago's bid. She said that the revolving door of "management" at the USOC makes it difficult for the IOC -- which she described as the "the oldest of the old-boy network" and "very Euro-centric" -- to feel comfortable dealing with the US Olympic body.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Olympics Rio puts on. Will it be like Sydney or Beijing, which seemed to be very efficiently run, with facilities completed way ahead of time... or more like Athens, where paint was drying on rapidly-finished facilities as athletes and fans were arriving? Or will Los Angeles get a call in late spring 2016, "Help! Rio can't handle it! Can you play host?" as they nearly did, according to some reports, in 2004 when Athens was having trouble getting its act together.

Mark

Brother Mark,
    Here is an interview with my friend Jim Scheer regarding the advantages Rio had over Chicago. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...s100438D22.DTL