Thread: Gadisov at Worlds

Default Gadisov at Worlds

Still wet behind the ears and it showed. Or is it just that 84 in Russia is THAT watered down right now? Will we see Kortoev rep. next year? Nobody has been able to tell me what Gadisov and Kortoev's match was like at Russian Junior Nationals.

Default Re: Gadisov at Worlds

or he might have had strong competition.

why should he be wet behind the ears, he had a tough competition.
    its not like all russians should get a gold medal.

Quote Originally Posted by henry View Post
    or he might have had strong competition.

why should he be wet behind the ears, he had a tough competition.
    its not like all russians should get a gold medal.

Anything less than a medal is a ultimate failure in Russian wrestling. Anything less than a gold is frowned on but not a failure. Tough competition? No Mindoraschvilli, no Yazdani... He's only 20 and barely had international experience before the tourney. That showed. Needs to up his cardio also. Kortoev seems more relaxed out there but he's still a 1st year junior.

yeah, i'd say their future looks pretty secure at 84 having these two battle it out. Watching any of gadisov's matches from russian nationals, its obvious he has some serious skills, as does kortoev, evidenced by his domination at junior worlds.

I think he got head butted in one match. That could've changed his whole day.

Yea, Russia is very harsh on whether you medal or not. If you don't medal, you are pretty much worthless and shouldn't be wrestling, if you do medal, then your pretty good, but still not great. If you get gold, then your great and everyone loves you. This is mainly through the eyes of the coaches and alot (but not all) of the wrestling community. I kind of see it this way to. For example: When Djukaev got silver the past following days at Worlds, I was really pissed. I expected nothing but gold. I see the same for myself.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    Yea, Russia is very harsh on whether you medal or not. If you don't medal, you are pretty much worthless and shouldn't be wrestling, if you do medal, then your pretty good, but still not great. If you get gold, then your great and everyone loves you. This is mainly through the eyes of the coaches and alot (but not all) of the wrestling community. I kind of see it this way to. For example: When Djukaev got silver the past following days at Worlds, I was really pissed. I expected nothing but gold. I see the same for myself.
    Well, as an American, I'm jealous. For example, Jake Herbert has absolutely the right attitude to be ultimately unsatisfied with his silver medal but I was thrilled to get that finish out of him. I would have strongly preferred gold of course, but from a newcomer without the proven freestyle credentials of Gadisov even, it's a great result.

As for the Russian, he's an unbelievable talent. He definitely needs to improve his conditioning, there's no question about that. At age 20, he also could afford to grow into the weight... which is not to say he would actually become much of a bigger 84kg wrestler, but to gain some man strength with a couple years. He definitely has the skills to be a perennial world champ, we shall see. And the in-country competition certainly doesn't hurt.