Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: 2009 Senior Worlds Results/Discussion: 55/66/96 FS Discussion

Default Re: 2009 Senior Worlds Results/Discussion: 55/66/96 FS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Is it a different Mankiev? If so I'm changing my pick to Sourian

Mishine got man handled by El Fatah a few years back but apparently the Egyptian's not competing so I'll stick with the russian for my pick.

Not sure this is the right thread for this comment, but the head-case-ness that people were mentioning about Garzon runs through the entire cuban lineup, I think (Lopez excepted, of course). They're good wrestlers alright but they can't seem to beat the best of the best... how many silver and bronze medals to Garzon, Fundora, Quintana Romero and Rodriguez have? And how many gold? They seem to lose in ugly or suprising ways too, it's not like Cuba just sucks at the clinch or something. I dunno what the ratio of technical weakness to mental weakness to losing matches on purpose is, but something's going on with that team and has been for a while IMO.
    This is Bekhan Mankiev; Nazir's younger brother. He placed 3rd at Euros and I think he got 1st at Nationals.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Is it a different Mankiev? If so I'm changing my pick to Sourian

Mishine got man handled by El Fatah a few years back but apparently the Egyptian's not competing so I'll stick with the russian for my pick.

Not sure this is the right thread for this comment, but the head-case-ness that people were mentioning about Garzon runs through the entire cuban lineup, I think (Lopez excepted, of course). They're good wrestlers alright but they can't seem to beat the best of the best... how many silver and bronze medals to Garzon, Fundora, Quintana Romero and Rodriguez have? And how many gold? They seem to lose in ugly or suprising ways too, it's not like Cuba just sucks at the clinch or something. I dunno what the ratio of technical weakness to mental weakness to losing matches on purpose is, but something's going on with that team and has been for a while IMO.
    Haven't the Cubans been suspected of throwng matches for $$$?

Damn I hate school, but I'm real glad Gatsalov won and the other two Russians medaled, although gold would've been alot better for those guys. I'm real happy to see Gatsalov back to his winning ways. He is just insane. 4 world titles already. It's ashame he didn't go to Beijing.

I came out right with my prediction of Lebedev and his 3rd place finish. He wrestled hard and still seemed to be displeased with his bronze. Hopefully I get to see him again next year. Djukaev wrestled well. It could have gone any way, but the Iranian seemed to get it. I also really wanna see Batirov again. If anyone has any info on him and if he's wrestling still, then please share. Overall, good first day for Russia.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Haven't the Cubans been suspected of throwng matches for $$$?
    yes, and I suspect that's part of it. However, I think they just plain do stupid things on the mat as well sometimes.

Examples:
    Garzon is beating Shahin up and gets thrown big 3 matches in a row! Then gets cradle-pinned at these worlds with no Shahin there. Also loses to Bill Zadick (not sure how because I haven't seen the match).

Quintana at the 1993 worlds vs Adbullev stands up from the ground position and gets suplexed. Gets reversed to his back from the top position to lose on the 2004 Olympics./

Rodrigues stands there like a pylon vs Makhov in their world finals (or maybe that one was a work?)

Fundora gets lit up by just about every world-class wrestler he goes up against, including a 5 pt throw by Aldatov, repeated tech-falls by Saitiev and a grab-the-head fireman pin by an unknown Terziev

Romero gets inside-tripped right to his back twice in a row by a comically undersized Adam Saitiev in the olympic finals. I'm hoping his world finals loss to Mindo was on purpose as is suspected, othewise it was the most uninspired wrestling I've ever seen.

Most of these matches are found on the "good matches" thread if you want to check them out, a lot of them are quite entertaining.

yes, and I suspect that's part of it. However, I think they just plain do stupid things on the mat as well sometimes.

Examples:
    Garzon is beating Shahin up and gets thrown big 3 matches in a row! Then gets cradle-pinned at these worlds with no Shahin there. Also loses to Bill Zadick (not sure how because I haven't seen the match).

Quintana at the 1993 worlds vs Adbullev stands up from the ground position and gets suplexed. Gets reversed to his back from the top position to lose on the 2004 Olympics./

Rodrigues stands there like a pylon vs Makhov in their world finals (or maybe that one was a work?)

Fundora gets lit up by just about every world-class wrestler he goes up against, including a 5 pt throw by Aldatov, repeated tech-falls by Saitiev and a grab-the-head fireman pin by an unknown Terziev

Romero gets inside-tripped right to his back twice in a row by a comically undersized Adam Saitiev in the olympic finals. I'm hoping his world finals loss to Mindo was on purpose as is suspected, othewise it was the most uninspired wrestling I've ever seen.

Most of these matches are found on the "good matches" thread if you want to check them out, a lot of them are quite entertaining.
    I must add :
    Ortiz lost to a very weak Macedonian wrestler at the 2001 worlds .

Ortiz def. Barzakov
    Barzakov pinned MKD
    Ortiz lost to MKD ====>> Barzakov advanced !