Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 14

Thread: Changes for Next Year

  1. #1

    Default Changes for Next Year

    I've got these saved in a document for now, but I figure I'll toss up a thread to solicit some more from you guys.

    1. Finish the damn draft before the season starts

    2. Add in the PSU Open, MSU Open, Body Bar, and then some tournament of primarily West Coast teams as scoring events

    3. All Star Dual will count for points

    4. Keeper Option will be a go.

    5. Two wild card spots to NCAA's for highest non top 4 teams during Conference week. Do away with h2h in the playoffs.

    Any of you guys know a tournament with mostly West Coast schools where teams send most of their starters?
    Last edited by JensenS; 02-01-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  2. #2
    National Finalist MOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I've got these saved in a document for now, but I figure I'll toss up a thread to solicit some more from you guys.

    1. Finish the damn draft before the season starts

    2. Add in the PSU Open, MSU Open, Body Bar, and then some tournament of primarily West Coast teams as scoring events

    3. All Star Dual will count for points

    4. Keeper Option will be a go.

    Any of you guys know a tournament with mostly West Coast schools where teams send most of their starters?
    Brother Commish,
    These changes sound great. As far as your question regarding West Coast schools, The Cal Fullerton Open and the Best of the West are two that lots of West Coast D1 schools participate in. The All Cal Tourney at SF State is primarily D2 I think, although Stanford, Cal Bakersfield and Cal Poly send mixed teams 1st and 2nd stringers.

    Also, its not a western tourney, but how about considering the Keystone Open here at Penn? It's fairly small, but the list of teams has included Iowa St.; West Va.; UVa. Edinboro, and Navy among others. Its fairly early season too (Nov.or early Dec.).

  3. #3

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Thanks Mojo, will definitely go with at least one, from the Fullerton Open, or the Best of the West, maybe even both to try and get some primarily West Coast competition.

    I'll think about the Keystone Classic, the Missouri Open, and maybe the early season Brockport tournament too.

    Probably go with two out of the four here.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  4. #4

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    I dont know about the whole open tournament thing... a lot of those tournaments dont exactly have the best competition around.

    Id rather have a system where if you get a win over a ranked guy in a tournament like that you get points for it but all the d3 guys and d1 3rd stringers dont count for points.

  5. #5
    National Finalist MOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I dont know about the whole open tournament thing... a lot of those tournaments dont exactly have the best competition around.

    Id rather have a system where if you get a win over a ranked guy in a tournament like that you get points for it but all the d3 guys and d1 3rd stringers dont count for points.
    Brother LoSt,
    I think that is part of the strategy when making picks, look at the schedules to determine where you are most likely to score points, as opposed to just picking the highest ranked wrestler. I actually would be all for counting ANY tournament on the wrestlers schedule.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I dont know about the whole open tournament thing... a lot of those tournaments dont exactly have the best competition around.

    Id rather have a system where if you get a win over a ranked guy in a tournament like that you get points for it but all the d3 guys and d1 3rd stringers dont count for points.
    I'm adding a few more competition dates for next year, this isn't debatable.

    I also think I'm going to tinker with the "your guy knocks off a #1 ranked guy" bonus. I think I'm going to make it relative to how your guy wins. You win a decision, its the three for decision, and then three bonus. You win a major over the #1, its the four for the major, and then a four point bonus, and then so on.

    Also due to popular demand I'm going to institute some level of bonus for winning a tournament, so that we don't have as many instances of 3rd placers at weights outscoring champions.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  7. #7

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I dont know about the whole open tournament thing... a lot of those tournaments dont exactly have the best competition around.

    Id rather have a system where if you get a win over a ranked guy in a tournament like that you get points for it but all the d3 guys and d1 3rd stringers dont count for points.
    you gotta love LoSt...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I'm adding a few more competition dates for next year, this isn't debatable.

    I also think I'm going to tinker with the "your guy knocks off a #1 ranked guy" bonus. I think I'm going to make it relative to how your guy wins. You win a decision, its the three for decision, and then three bonus. You win a major over the #1, its the four for the major, and then a four point bonus, and then so on.

    Also due to popular demand I'm going to institute some level of bonus for winning a tournament, so that we don't have as many instances of 3rd placers at weights outscoring champions.
    I guess its your call but I think we might as well add all open tournaments if we're going to use more then just the big ones

  9. #9

    Default Re: Changes for Next Year

    No, we might as well not.

    Its not like I said I'm going to retroactively score these open tournaments for this year. If I'd said that, then yeah maybe there might be some objection.

    Everyone will be drafting under the same rules, you'll have the same opportunities to poach points at the few tournaments that I add in that everyone else will.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •