Thread: Reason why we should use tournament scoring next year...

Default Reason why we should use tournament scoring next year...

Something I'm going to keep bitching about until we change it, I ran a few numbers to give you an idea of why the system we use is distorted and inaccurate.

Lets look at the run Darrion Caldwell had through the tourney for starters... Pretty impressive, right?

First round WBF, +6
    2nd Round MD, +4
    Quarterfinals MD, +4
    Semifinals MD, +4
    Championship Dec, +3
    #1 Bonus, +16

Pretty impressive right? The guy domnated everyone he wrestled and scored bonus points in every match except for in the finals against Metcalf. His total score using our fantasy system was 37 Points.

Lets take a look at another wrestled who had a good tourney, Hudson Taylor.
    First Round WBF, +6
    2nd Round LOSS
    Wrestleback #1 WBF, +6
    Wrestleback #2 Dec, +3
    Round of 12 Dec, +3
    Consilation Quarterfinals WBF, +6
    Consolation Semis MD, +4
    3rd Place Match Dec, +3
    3rd Place Bonus, +10

Spanking total of 41. Now dont get me wrong, Hudson Wrestled a GREAT tourney and he is definitely worth major points. But is it really accurate to say that a guy who took 3rd at 197 is worth as many points as the OW of the tourney, a guy who scored bonus points in every match in the championship bracket except the finals?

Here is what both of these guys look like with NORMAL scoring

Caldwell
    Pigtail BYE, 1
    1st Round WBF, 3
    2nd Round MD, 2
    Quarterfinal MD, 2
    Semifinal MD, 2
    1st Place bonus, 16
    Total Points=26

Hudson Taylor
    Pigtail BYE, 1
    1st Round WBF, 3
    2nd Round LOSS
    Wrestleback #1 WBF, 2.5
    Wrestleback #2 Dec, 0.5
    Round of 12 Dec, 0.5
    Consilation Quarterfinals WBF, 2.5
    Consolation Semifinals MD, 1.5
    3rd Place Bonus, 10
    Total Score=21.5

So you can see how there is a pretty major difference... This year it didnt matter because I ran away with the title, but if it was a closer race there could be major implications. I took a brief look at last years bracket and there were a couple of FIFTH place finishers that scored as many points as a champion. Yeah, you heard me right, not third, but FIFTH. Moza Fay and Jordan Leen for example both scored 31 under our current system in 2008. I didnt bother to do the numbers but I guarentee you that this isnt the case under normal scoring

Keeping our current scoring system in place for major tournies and conferences isnt ideal, but it makes a lot of sense and I think is a necessary evil. Tourney scoring is more accurate then the way we do things, but because some people have guys in regular season tournies that others dont using tourney scoring would deflate the value of those tourneys compared to dual meets.

For conferences using tourney scoring doesnt make sense either because there are so many different conferences with difference numbers of participants and different levels of depth. For example the B10 has more placewinners per weight (8) then the EWL has teams (7), so it wouldnt make sense to start implimenting 7th/8th place bonuses. It's also important to keep our scoring system in place for conferences because changing it would deflate the value of conferences versus the regular season. We dont want Midlands week to be worth more points then the week where guys qualify for nationals, for example.

HOWEVER... with all of this being said, it makes NO sense at all to not impliment tourney scoring for ncaas. All of the scoreboards are wiped clean, so it doesnt matter that the weekly scoring will be smaller then it was during dual season. Since there is only ONE tournament, the competition level/amount of wrestlers is the same across the board. Most of all, it gives a more accurate reflection of who is doing well.

I know Jensens has said that he doesnt want to commit to going through the effort of tourney scoring, so I'm willing to volunteer to do it myself next year. It's really not any harder then the scoring we use once you get used to it, you just have to remember not to give advancement points in placement matches.

I feel like this is an important change to make in order to accurately figure out who the TRUE champion is. I havent run either set of numbers, nor do I really intend to, but its very possible Mojo would have had the winning team this year with 5 Champions and 2 other AAs if we had used tourney scoring (and if he had qualified). I am almost certain that under our current scoring I have him beat by a decent margin.
    Last edited by LoSt; 03-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Gold is an idiot.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Default Re: Reason why we should use tournament scoring next year...

Makes sense to me.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Only for NCAA's though
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

I agree, makes sense for NCAA's but keep our current scoring system for the regular season and conferences.
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman:

I could go for that...

+1!11
    Gold is an idiot.

It would realy make a lot of sense to do it at Vegas and the Midlands as well-I wrestled Howe and Stewart and stewart outscored Howe .Loss,Pin ,tech,pin ,dec,loss.-20points .Howe scored 12 .