Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys who are screwing you over

Default Guys who are screwing you over

Thought it would be nice to have a list of all the guys who were drafted who are injured/redshirting/moving weights and making peoples lives suck. So far my team has remained intact but if past history is any indication most of us will have at least one thing go wrong before season starts

Mojo:
    Loupanchanski to 149 leaving him with no 141

Gofer:
    Kilgore to 197 leaving him with no 184
    Shuster to 157

Someone has told me Andrew Alton is likely to redshirt and of course there are the rumors of Cashe taking a RS floating around as well, but neither of those are confirmed.
    Gold is an idiot.

Default Re: Guys who are screwing you over

Yeah, Kent State came out with some surprises...lets hope Shuster comes back down to 149 eventually.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

YOu don't get the back-ups I thought anymore unless your guy is OUT (injured) and even then you would have to call using them before the fact. I learned this with Rader and Colin Johnston the last two years.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

White -Rutgers-ineligible first semester !! And his back up is worthless !! Was actually losing to someone from East Strousburg until the kid pinned himself !!
    I thought with Rutgers schedule White would pin about 20 guys this year . DeMarco is 2-0 this year but 6-7 career .

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    YOu don't get the back-ups I thought anymore unless your guy is OUT (injured) and even then you would have to call using them before the fact. I learned this with Rader and Colin Johnston the last two years.
    I think you are only partially right Brother Gofer. I believe that the rule is that you can use back-ups for dual meets without naming or calling them out before hand if you (like most people) don't have prior access to that info. I still put down for example: 133 Keller OU (or backup). I thought that that was true across the board, but one of our brothers in the league related that it was different in tournys, and that you must name the backup if you are going to use him. While I don't remember that rule change,my source is usually pretty spot on (other than his prediction that Elvis Presley was going rise up from his plot on Graceland and take the coaching job at UT Chattanoga. Jest between you and me brother Goph,I think that he was drinking that cheap, homemade rot-gut out of a Mason Jar!) Other than that unfortunate episode, he is usually a pretty good information source. Just the same it's probably a wise idea to double check this with the Commish, for he is wise !

Brother Mojo you are correct. I was remiss. Every year it takes me a few weeks to get this figured out. In an Open Tourney though where your drafted wrestler on paper is entered as is the back-up, I think you HAVE to take your drafted wrestler (ex Shuster and Cathell). The rule originally was adopted to cover injuries, not to benefit someone who's guy gets beaten out in Wrestle-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO;346469
    [INDENT
    Brother Mojo you are correct. I was remiss. Every year it takes me a few weeks to get this figured out. In an Open Tourney though where your drafted wrestler on paper is entered as is the back-up, I think you HAVE to take your drafted wrestler (ex Shuster and Cathell). The rule originally was adopted to cover injuries, not to benefit someone who's guy gets beaten out in Wrestle-offs.
    [/INDENT]!

Agree. To avoid confusion a little bit, I'd propose an amendment too that if you list the backup over the starter and the starter does wrestle at the same weight you automatically get his points instead of the backup, regardless of if he wins the tourney or goes 0-2 (as long as he wrestles at the weight you started him at). If the starter wrestles at a different weight and the backup wrestles at the weight you listed him as then you score no points.

Currently things can be a little fuzzy because you might list a backup not anticipating that the starter will attend a tournament due to injury or weight, but then the starter shows up anyway. Most tournaments dont have open registration so there might be a lot of instances when you have no way of knowing if your starter will be in attendence.

I dont think this particular issue has come up yet, but its very likely it will at some point down the line, so it would be nice to figure it out ahead of time.

Another thing that would be nice to establish is guidelines for when a guy is considered to just be "bumping up" a weight and when he is actually wrestling at a different weight class then the one you drafted him at. I know a few years back Trusty kept starting Kinser at 149 and scoring points long after it was pretty clear he was going to be at 157 that year, something I took a lot of issue with. Similarly I think some people had some issues with me starting Feist at a variety of weights two years ago since he started out drafted as a 174 and then bounced between 197 and HVY for the rest of the year.

I do think its pretty clear that for tournaments if your guy is not at the weight you list him then you score zero points, end of story. But for duals it can be a lot harder to decide. Any thoughts commish?
    Gold is an idiot.

My general thoughts would be that you only get "bump up" points when its very clear that a guy is going up for the team. For example if he wrestles 125 one dual and then 133 the next, or if he wrestled 125 one week and 133 the next. But for a guy starting off the year who just cant make weight yet I think thats something you should have to deal with (IE Joe Booth cant be scored at 157 until he gets down there).
    Gold is an idiot.

BTW Gofer, it does sound like Shuster might go down to 149, but given his results thus far it doesnt seem like he'll be much help to you at either weight.
    Gold is an idiot.