Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Default Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Herkey's thread got me thinking and I think this is an interesting thing to discuss. Who were the best and worst picks of each round? Going into the year, I was kind of worried about the first round because I didn't think that there was a clear-cut favorite at any of the ten weights. That has proven true, so it's kind of hard to evaluate that first round for the worst wrestlers.

As a reminder, here are the draft results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...oL&hl=en#gid=1

1st Round:
    Best: Jordan Burroughs
    Worst:????
    Burroughs is an easy pick in my mind. He puts up bonus points like Herkey picks up Iowa wrestlers, and I now consider him one of the three safest bets to win his weight class at NCAAs. I really don't know about the worst pick; none of them strike me as bad NCAA picks right now. Kilgore didn't produce the early-season pins that I expected him to, so I'm a little disappointed in him, but I'd still rather have him than any other 197.

2nd Round:
    Best: Jordan Oliver
    Worst: Chris Perry
    No one has come close to beating Oliver this year, and he's already wrestled great competition. Taylor's bonus points may swing this my way once he faces Bubba, Hall, and Fittery. Perry simply has not come close to meeting expectations. I don't really understand it. In Herkey's thread I said Wright would be the second worst, but I think I might take that back and put Sanders in there. It's not that he's a terrible wrestler, but he's exactly what he has been the last two years, and I think that was rather to be expected.

3rd Round:
    Best: Anthony Robles
    Worst: Zach Bailey
    I don't think Robles has a better shot at the title than Honeycutt, Leblanc, or Hall, but his bonus points set him apart. Winston also gets consideration for worst.

4th Round:
    Best: Kevin Levalley
    Worst: Torsten Gillespie
    I give Levalley the nod over Foster because he has wrestled better competition. Gaethje and Lindsey are right behind Gillespie for the worst picks.

5th Round:
    Best: DJ Russo
    Worst: Justin Lister
    None really jump out as me as the best picks here. Russo would, but he had a terrible Midlands performance. Cayle Byers has to get some consideration, as well. The worst is either Lister or Lane. Nauman hasn't met expectations.

I'll take a look at the other rounds later. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    4th Round:
    Best: Kevin Levalley
    Worst: Torsten Gillespie
    I give Levalley the nod over Foster because he has wrestled better competition.
    Between Levalley and Foster only one of them has a win over an All American this year. It's not Levalley.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

6th:
    Best: Bedelyon(KR)(Tommy Spellman honorable Mention)
    Worst-Tommy Spellman(ACC)

7th:
    Best: Steve Bosak(GBR)(to be fair Paul Young has been amazing for me this year as well, but Bosaks the guy)
    Worst:Nate Moore(Herkey)

8th:
    Best:Ed Ruth(VA)
    Worst: Brandon Rader(Ugly)(Stabile(ACC) and Deitchler(Buck) pretty bad as well though I don't penalize the JD pick since nobody ever can know anything about a Minny wrestlers health)

9th:
    Best: Rollie Peterkin(Gold)
    Worst: Eric Grajales-if only he went 33.(VA)

10th:
    Best: James Nicholson(RD)
    Worst: Michael Martinez(KR)

11th:
    Best: Devin Carter(Gold)
    Worst: Alex Meade(Herkey)

12th:
    Best: Scheidel(KR) and Jack(VA) Both have been massive scorers and are aa contenders. Hon mention for Kyle John who has scored ungodly points but isnt exactly AA caliber.
    Worst: Lee Munster(buck) If Viratas hadn't said definitively Munster was wrestling perhaps this unspeakable tragedy could have been avoided.

13th:
    Best:Micah Burak(GBR) Beat top ranked Kilgore and has been solid all year
    Worst: Sam Sherlock(KR)

14th:
    Best:POTENTIALLY Montell Marion(Herkey) if he comes back in same form as last year. If not him then Sanjaa(Gold)
    Worst: Alec Ortiz(buckv)

15th:
    Best: James Fleming(GBR)
    Worst:Ben Ashmore(Ugly)
    Best:

Edit: Alan waters probably the best 15th round pick, though I know Fleming has scored more.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    6th:

14th:
    Best:POTENTIALLY Montell Marion(Herkey) if he comes back in same form as last year. If not him then Sanjaa(Gold)
    Best:
    Marion hasn't scored a single point!
    Sanjaa has scored points, been ranked, and been traded for a stud like Kennedy. Sanjaa was definitely the best pick of the 14th!

That's your opinion. If you could choose one to have on your team who would that be? Sanjaa rode hype and beating nobodys to get a decent ranking and lost to Nadhir who has been the only formidable opponent he's faced. Call me nuts but I might want a returning national finalist over him.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    That's your opinion. If you could choose one to have on your team who would that be? Sanjaa rode hype and beating nobodys to get a decent ranking and lost to Nadhir who has been the only formidable opponent he's faced. Call me nuts but I might want a returning national finalist over him.
    I choose Kennedy?

6th Round
    Best: Tyler Caldwell
    Worst: Tommy Spellman
    I say Caldwell over Bedelyon because Bedelyon has missed a lot of time so far. I wasn't very high on Caldwell coming into the year, but I've been impressed by him. As for the worst, there were lots of busts in this round. Spellman was and continues to be a headscratcher. Beets was an AA, so I can see the pick based on that, but I just don't think he was good enough to merit a 6th round pick. Miller and Gelogaev have obviously done next to nothing so far because of injuries.

7th Round
    Best: Justin Kerber
    Worst: Nate Moore
    Kerber and Bosak are very comparable. I give the edge to Kerber because his weight is weaker and I think it's very reasonable that he finishes 3rd. Young, while being great for bonus points, isn't likely to place all that high at NCAA's. Nate Moore gets the edge over Cody Cleveland because Cleveland was actually a somewhat proven commodity R12-type guy and has just been injured. Both are pretty comparable, though, and honestly I don't think either would be terrible picks if they were wrestling right now.

8th Round
    Best: Ed Ruth
    Worst: Nick Stabile
    Ruth is the hot topic right now, so I'll take him. Flores is right there, though; it wouldn't be surprising for Flores to place higher than Ruth at NCAAs. Tomei has also proven to be a great value for this round. Rader, Wilps, Deitchler, and Stabile have all been complete duds for various reasons.

9th Round
    Best: Rollie Peterkin
    Worst: Jake Kerr
    I remember at this point in the draft I felt that there was no one who stood out as a great pick. I needed a 125 and a 133 and was picking between guys like Perelli, Peterkin, Grajales, Patterson, Zanetta, Hutter, and Martinez. I looked at a bunch of results and was surprised that Rollie actually had a pretty good year two years ago, so I picked him. He's been just about what I expected him to be: consistent and competitive. I think I made the right choice. Kerr, on the other hand, has simply never been worth anything in fantasy wrestling. I was shocked to see him ranked in the top 10-15 the whole time he had the starting spot. I don't mean to pick on the guy, but I just don't understand it.

10th Round
    Best: James Nicholson
    Worst: Sean Nemec
    I didn't have a very high opinion of Nicholson and wouldn't have drafted him at all because I had heard that he wouldn't be wrestling at least the first semester. But he's proven me wrong and been excellent this year. He beat Sanders and a bunch of other quality guys and is undefeated. I think Nemec has won maybe two matches all year. He wasn't great at 157, has had a lot of injuries, and dropping to 149 seemed like a terrible idea to me. Scotton gets an honorable mention.
    Last edited by Gold; 01-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.

11th Round:
    Best: Devin Carter
    Worst: Danny Zilverburg
    Carter has been great this year. It also seems like he improved a lot technically in the month of December. I haven't seen him wrestle at National Duals, but majoring Sentes, keeping it to 8 points against JO, and closing the gap with Graff to just one point tell me that he has really improved a lot in a short amount of time. Zilverburg hasn't beaten anyone I've heard of, and has lost to a guy I haven't heard of. Zanetta started the year off looking even worse, but had a good Midlands, so maybe he's righted the sinking ship.

12th Round:
    Best: Nate Schiedel
    Worst: Justin Zeerip
    I've never watched Schiedel, but he's put up a good bit of bonus points, been pretty consistent, and has a shot to make the podium. I don't know that Zeerip is actually the worst pick, but he could be. I dropped him before the season even started, I think, and had an argument about even drafting him. Did I think Zeerip was a great wrestler? No. But I was backed into a corner and had to defend myself. And also, I recognized the weakness of 174 in the Big Ten and truly believed that if Zeerip had improved much (he improved a lot from his frosh to soph year), he could make the Big 10 finals. I was wrong.

13th Round:
    Best: Micah Burak
    Worst: Sam Sherlock
    Burak is an easy pick in a round that didn't produce many good picks. He and Stephens are about the only two good ones. Sam Sherlock is a true freshman, didn't have a lot of hype, and apparently is the third-best 125 pounder on his team. When kr made the pick, I thought maybe he saw something that I didn't; maybe there were rumors that Sherlock was an absolute monster in the room who was pounding on everyone all the way up to 184. It seems that was not the case.

14th Round:
    Best: Ganbayar Sanjaa
    Worst: Alec Ortiz
    Buckvader kind of stated my case here. There isn't anyone who has totally lit up the national scene so far, so the fact that Sanjaa has been very competitive with everyone he's wrestled, ranked high and converted into a stud (Kennedy) makes him the best pick. Marion is way too much of a question mark at this point, and there's no way I see him sniffing the finals at either weight if he does makes his way back into the lineup. Albert White would get some consideration if he were still in the starting lineup. Ortiz has just done nothing. Same with Trent Weatherman, but he has at least started consistently.

15th Round:
    Best: Alan Waters
    Worst: Ben Ashmore
    Waters gets the nod over Fleming because he is a bigger NCAA threat and has beaten better competition. There are a lot of bad picks. Ashmore probably wouldn't be the worst if he hadn't quit the team, but he did. Trumbetti gets consideration because he has been absolutely worthless the entire year for KR.