Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Default Re: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Notable Undrafteds:
    Andrew Alton
    Jon Morrison
    Jesse Dong
    Travis Rutt
    Robert Hamlin
    Tony Nelson
    Tony Ramos
    BJ Futrell
    Ryan Desroches
    Kevin Steinhaus
    Andrew Long

EDIT:
    As I look at these, it's interesting to see how good of a team they make.

125: Jon Morrison
    133: BJ Futrell, Tony Ramos
    141: Andrew Alton
    149: ?
    157: Jesse Dong
    165: Ryan Desroches
    174: ?
    184: Robert Hamlin, Travis Rutt, Kevin Steinhaus
    197: ?
    285: Tony Nelson
    Last edited by Gold; 01-10-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: Midseason Hindsight: Best and Worst Picks of Each Round of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Notable Undrafteds:
    Andrew Alton
    Jon Morrison
    Jesse Dong
    Travis Rutt
    Robert Hamlin
    Tony Nelson
    Tony Ramos
    BJ Futrell
    Ryan Desroches
    Kevin Steinhaus

EDIT:
    As I look at these, it's interesting to see how good of a team they make.

125: Jon Morrison
    133: BJ Futrell, Tony Ramos
    141: Andrew Alton
    149: ?
    157: Jesse Dong
    165: Ryan Desroches
    174: ?
    184: Robert Hamlin, Travis Rutt, Kevin Steinhaus
    197: ?
    285: Tony Nelson

You forgot Andrew Long as an undrafted...

Also RE Sherlock, if you look @ PSU's 133 from last year's perspective, Bryan Pearsall was 3-20. Everyone was talking about how SS, a true FS, was going to come right in take over the 133 spot. That didn't happen.

BP beat him in the room. Everyone thought that SS sucked all of sudden. That's not true either.

Sherlock was a PIAA champ as a junior who wrecked his knee in the start of his senior year so he didn't wrestle @ all his last year in HS. He was still recovering but since BP was SO bad last year people just assumed it was Sherlock's spot. Pearsall of course has been one of the surprises on the team full of them.

So Cael decided to RS Sherlock & he actually did well in a couple of Open Tourneys so once I heard that I dropped him. If those tourneys would have been scoring ones, I might have kept him & wracked up some points but they weren't so I didn't.

Knowing what I did I think it could have turned out to be a steal of a pick as no one was really paying attention to PSU's 33 spot. It didn't turn out that way but ironically enough I got PSU's 133 anyway! I stayed on top of the Andrew Long story so well I knew that he would available weeks ahead of time & pounced on him as soon as I knew 4 sure.
    Last edited by kr1963; 01-10-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Except you took him in the 13th when nobody would have ever drafted SS in the first place, so you could have let him slip to 15 and taken somebody better at 13. That's what confused me.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    You forgot Andrew Long as an undrafted...

Also RE Sherlock, if you look @ PSU's 133 from last year's perspective, Bryan Pearsall was 3-20. Everyone was talking about how SS, a true FS, was going to come right in take over the 133 spot. That didn't happen.

BP beat him in the room. Everyone thought that SS sucked all of sudden. That's not true either.

Sherlock was a PIAA champ as a junior who wrecked his knee in the start of his senior year so he didn't wrestle @ all his last year in HS. He was still recovering but since BP was SO bad last year people just assumed it was Sherlock's spot. Pearsall of course has been one of the surprises on the team full of them.

So Cael decided to RS Sherlock & he actually did well in a couple of Open Tourneys so once I heard that I dropped him. If those tourneys would have been scoring ones, I might have kept him & wracked up some points but they weren't so I didn't.

Knowing what I did I think it could have turned out to be a steal of a pick as no one was really paying attention to PSU's 33 spot. It didn't turn out that way but ironically enough I got PSU's 133 anyway! I stayed on top of the Andrew Long story so well I knew that he would available weeks ahead of time & pounced on him as soon as I knew 4 sure.
    I did forget Long. Fixed.

Taylor was the best pick of the draft by far. He has earned bonus every match he has wrestled this year except a thumping of Jesse Dong which was still 7 pts I believe. The worst pick was any number of Buckeyes Steiber,Nemec,Sponseller,Palmer,Jameson etc all have either had season/career ending injuries or have just plain and simply SUCKED! On a side note Devin Carter surprised the heck out of me and he along with Alton were huge steals of the draft

I'm not ready to call DT the best pick yet. You have to look at how he compares to the value around him. If he and JO both go undefeated and win titles, it will be hard to say he's the best pick, when there are some title contenders in much later rounds(alton and Ruth come to mind) IF you can get a title contender LATE in the draft that has more value. If there are comparable scorers in the late rounds it's hard to say he's the best pick.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Except you took him in the 13th when nobody would have ever drafted SS in the first place, so you could have let him slip to 15 and taken somebody better at 13. That's what confused me.
    Hindsight 20/20. I was just very high on him & didn't want to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    Taylor was the best pick of the draft by far. He has earned bonus every match he has wrestled this year except a thumping of Jesse Dong which was still 7 pts I believe. The worst pick was any number of Buckeyes Steiber,Nemec,Sponseller,Palmer,Jameson etc all have either had season/career ending injuries or have just plain and simply SUCKED! On a side note Devin Carter surprised the heck out of me and he along with Alton were huge steals of the draft
    Tigerfan got Alton on an Add/Drop.

I had been lead to believe that AA was going to RS by people @ PSU & was ready to grab Dylan when we saw what happened @ the Intra-squad.