Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Top NCAA Finals Matches Past 30+ Years?

Default Re: Top NCAA Finals Matches Past 30+ Years?

People should be posting video of these matches

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Brother R.Payton,
    Darryl Pope wrestled for Cal Bakersfield in D2 not D3 (I know its a small deal, but as a former D2 guy myself, gotta have our best guys give D2 it's due ). As you probably know, Pope and several other tough guys followed coach TJ Kerr from San Jose St. to Bakerfield when Joe Seay left for OSU. Sort of the same deal as the whole Iowa-Va.Tech dust-up, but since it was pre-internet, i didn't create the same controversy. Pope was an AA (5th) for San Jose as a soph. You are right about his dominance his senior year. He was a beast. Kind of Metcalfesque, but more physical and mean, IMO. Fun guy to watch wrestle.
    Small bit of trivia, the year before Pope lost to Chiparelli, Rico was decked in less than 1:00 by Pope's San Jose/CSUB teammate Marvin Jones in the NCAA consolation finals. Sweet bodylock throw!
    I first saw Pope at an AAU tournament a coupla hundred years ago -guys were afraid of him -literally-one guy walked off the mat -like the one hwt did against the Russian Experiment -like -hey -I am a mere mortal -first time I ever saw something like that at that level.
    PS -my bad about the Div 2 thing but I thought San Jose ST was Div 3 at that time .
    Last edited by r.payton@att.net; 08-11-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by coachbull View Post
    Gene Mills vs. Joe Gonzales 1979 118 lb NCAA finals match. One of the best all time. See it here.

http://www.genemills.com/genetube.htm
    This IS the best of all time.

P. Smith/Ryan
    Brands/Zuniga
    Cuvo/Weiland
    Kelly/Penrith
    Chiaparelli/Pope
    Mills/Gonzales
    Schultz/Banach
    MacIlravy/Abas
    Krieger/Heffernan
    Skove/Elinsky
    Alger/Mayo
    Jaworsky/Kolat

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    This IS the best of all time.
    How did Mills stop those 2 first period shots ?Also -can you believe the ref warning Gonzo ? Never happen today -the warning , I mean. Great match.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Ehhhem...
    My bad Brother Jensen. Or course, I assumed you were speaking of STEVE Banach of Brown v. ERIC Schultz of Ohio St.! Silly me !

Pope still is at Bakersfield coaching. He was and still is a physical machine.
    During his career he had a problem agianst a little known wrestler from San Francisco State University named Andrew Steffen who Pope had a 2-3 record against. MOJO can give you more info on Steffen (his former teammate) Had to bring up the Gators.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Oh, yeah, the original question - Best NCAA finals. Have to agree with the brothers who mentioned Mills v. Gonzo and Carr v. Monday. Amazed that no one has nominated Mark Schultz v. Banach or Dave Schultz v. Mike Sheets! Classic matches. My favorite besides the ones mentioned however, would have to be Billy Kelley v. Brad Penrith. Kelly caught Penrith in that text book spladle for the fall, winning the NCAA title for Iowa St. and breaking Iowa's win streak. It was the first time in my then brief history of involvement in the sport that the tourney didn't end with a bunch of guys in black and gold crowding around the championship trophy posing for pictures! I thought that was against the law or something!
    Bill Kelly's response to the press after the match was classic! When asked what he called the move that got him the win and the National Championship, he relied, "I call it a pin!"

Redshirt

Dan Gable and Larry Owings of Course! wait thats 1969. nevermind.