Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Askren nominated for ESPN

Default Askren nominated for ESPN

John Fuller worked his magic again, and Ben Askren was nominated for an ESPY:

http://espn.go.com/espy2007/index.html#/vote/

Vote for him! And even if you think he won't win, still vote. It shows support for wrestling.

Default Re: Askren nominated for ESPN

Givin' props to ol' Fuller eh?

Yes, Fuller does do a solid job at making sure wrestlers are represented in some way, shape or form with the ESPY's.

Looks like the WT board gave me a news item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dart Shark View Post
    Givin' props to ol' Fuller eh?

Yes, Fuller does do a solid job at making sure wrestlers are represented in some way, shape or form with the ESPY's.

Looks like the WT board gave me a news item.
    I can be helpful from time to time.

Yeah, I give credit where credit is due.

Good to see him still giving back, and a heck of a guy too!

I doubt he wins, especially up against Durant. But great to see him nominated none the less.

I'm gonna vote for the guy that I think should win.... "good for wrestling" or not. If you do anything else -- it kind of defeats the purpose of the vote, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rstrong View Post
    I'm gonna vote for the guy that I think should win.... "good for wrestling" or not. If you do anything else -- it kind of defeats the purpose of the vote, eh?
    Well, this is a wrestling message board, so it's reasonable to assert that most of the people who are on here want to do what's best for wrestling. It's also reasonable to assert that wrestling fans would also look at a guy who went undefeated for two seasons as the best college athlete over a couple of basketball players and a football player.

And really, the purpose of a vote is to do whatever the heck you want with it. According to the other message board, there is a guy who voted for Arizona pitcher Taryne Mowatt because she is "smokin' hot." Does THAT make her a better athlete than Monica Abbott, the most dominant pitcher in recent history, or Candace Parker, an all-around amazing basketball player as well as one of the few women who can dunk? Of course not. But he gets to click on the nominee that he wants to, and he doesn't need to give a reason. So vote for who you want, rstrong, but don't deride the people who use their vote to better their favorite sport.

The point is that as wrestlers, ex-wrestlers and wrestling fans, we understand more than the general public or even the average sports fan what it took for Askren to accomplish what he has done. If, with our specialized knowledge, we believe that he deserves this award, we should mobilize our wrestling brothers and sisters, who compromise a vast minority of the voters, to give Askren the support that we believe he deserves. I doubt that many lay people (non-wrestling fans) will vote for him.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

And consider that Durant probably can't benchpress Askren ... seriously, that guy can't send up 180 once? I think in my sad shape right now I could go rip that out and be like "ok, I'm done."