Thread: Wrestling 411: May 1 Randy Lewis Returns to the Mat

Videos Wrestling 411: May 1 Randy Lewis Returns to the Mat

The last time Randy Lewis stepped on the mat in a competitive sense was in 1992. The old joke has been Lewboo has talked about getting on the mat for some time. Well, we get the straight dirt from Lewis on Wrestling 411 as the 1984 Olympic Champion tells all about his plans to wrestle at the Northern Plains Regional on May 16. Listen to what Lewis has to say about his "comeback," and what he's looking to get out of it, not to mention, the tricks he's got up his sleeve for wrestlers not even born when he won his Olympic Gold in Los Angeles in 1984.

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/gq1l_pR4j6Yg%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="360" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
    Last edited by Dart Shark; 05-01-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Default Re: Wrestling 411: May 1 Randy Lewis Returns to the Mat

sweet interview btw
    Gold is an idiot.

I'll be there.

Jim where and when? I was going to rearrange a few things a go myself.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Quality interview, nice work guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Jim where and when? I was going to rearrange a few things a go myself.
    Young Arena. I'll be going both Friday and Saturday. I'm not sure when 74 kilos will wrestle.

I'm pumped to see him wrestle. There will be a lot of good wrestling because so many people are still trying to qualify for World Team Trials.

Nice interview BTW.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:12 AM CDT
    <!--End Time--><!--Headline-->Lewis' return ends in semis <!--End Headline--><!--SubHead-->
    <!--Byline-->
    By JIM NELSON, jim.nelson@wcfcourier.com
    <!--End Byline--><!--Text-->WATERLOO --- At an age when most men are beginning to stare down retirement, Randy Lewis decided to find out if he was still tough.

Wrestling for the first time since the 1992 Olympic trials, the 49-year-old and 1984 Olympic gold medalist showed he's pretty tough for a guy who will turn 50 next month, but not quite tough enough to tame all the youngsters of his given sport --- freestyle wrestling.

Lewis, also a former two-time Iowa national champion, won a pair of matches Saturday at the 2009 Northern Plains Senior and Junior Regional championships at Young Arena before losing in the semifinals to Northern Iowa's two-time all-American, Moza Fay.

"It was fun," said Lewis. "It was real fun those first two matches. It was fun against Moza. It was a great experience for me. I'm glad I did it."

Fay, more than a quarter-century younger than Lewis, dominated the 163-pound semifinal, winning 9-2, 7-0.

"I made a couple of mistakes in that match against Moza, and he is too solid for me to give up that much position," Lewis said. "And once he got on top it was pretty much over.

"I told myself before this started if I got in a tight situation where if it was a decision to get hurt or turned, I was going to let them turn me, and that was the decision Moza Fay gave me."

Fay was his usual humble self in victory, raising Lewis' hand at the conclusion of the match as several hundred fans stood and applauded the former Hawkeye great.

"Honestly, I was nervous going into that match," Fay said. "I mean really nervous, because he is an Olympic champion and I didn't care if he was 49 years old.

"I knew he probably wasn't going to win it, but it was cool to wrestle him and good for the sport. I just wish it wasn't me who had to beat him."

Fay lost in the finals to Illinois' Mike Poeta, 4-1, 9-3.

Lewis opened with a 1-0, 3-0 win over James Reynolds of the Maverick Wrestling Club and beat Trent Larrieu of the Victory School of Wrestling in the quarterfinals, 3-1, 5-1, to reach the semifinals.

"I think I let a few people know I still have some stuff ... probably not as much as I thought I had," Lewis added, laughing.

In other action, Iowa all-American Daniel Dennis beat reigning 133-pound national champion Franklin Gomez (1-0, 0-2, 0-0, 1-0) in the 132.25 semifinals before topping Northwestern's Brandon Precin 7-0, 2-0 in the finals.

The Northern Plains is a last-chance qualifier for the World Team trials May 30-31 in Council Bluffs.

Other champions were Cruse Aarhus of the Panther Wrestling Club at 121, Jared Frayer of the Gator Wrestling Club at 145.5, Chris Pendleton of the Gator Wrestling Club at 185, J.D. Bergman of the New York Athletic Club at 211.5 and Eric Thompson of the Cyclone Wrestling Club at 264.5.
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.