View Poll Results: Which Style is more Confusing?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Folkstyle is more confusing! I dont get riding time

6 17.65%
  • Freestyle is more confusing! Why did the guy who scored more points lose?

28 82.35%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is more confusing: Folkstyle or Freestyle?

Default Re: Which is more confusing: Folkstyle or Freestyle?

Who just thinks that LoSt is confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Who just thinks that LoSt is confusing?
    Dunno, you lost me...
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Folkstyle has more rules and regulations that are confusing to new competitors. Such as locking hands, you can do it if its a pinning combination. Other things such as how you have to line up just perfectly, the penalty structure, tons of illegal moves that look legal, etc. Don't even get me started on ways to score, it will take days to tell each way to score.

Freestyle has a lot few rules and ways of scoring, you have 1 point takedown, hold and pushout, 2 point exposure, 3 point exposure, 5 point exposure and the caution structure of 1, 2 or 3. You can lock hands, you don't have to line up perfectly to start the period, match, etc.

As a coach, it is a ton easier to teach a kid freestyle than it is folkstyle. I like folkstyle better, but do enjoy coaching and wrestling freestyle also. In freestyle if you expose the back in ANY position you score points, in folkstyle you must have control, but I have seen instances where it looks like the guy is in control, but no backpoints. Freestyle also emphasizes the most exciting part of wrestling and that is in the neutral position. I like riding and turning in folkstyle, but it can get really boring to watch in some cases.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    FILA radically changes the rules so often for freestyle and greco that they become almost different sports over time. There is hardly any way to compare freestyle wrestlers today with those of just 10 years ago.

Greco was an abomination at the last Olympics. The Eastern European countries, and Russia, have essentially eliminated conditioning as a factor in both styles.

I did a LOT of freestyle back in the day. Three 3 minute periods and not too much confusion on the mat. And about the only way I could hang with good wrestlers was conditioning because, Lord knows, I wasn't very gifted as an athlete!!

I know that it is another whole thread but does anyone know why FILA changes the rules so drastically and so often?

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    I know that it is another whole thread but does anyone know why FILA changes the rules so drastically and so often?
    I think I read somewhere that, when FILA meets to discuss rules changes, they make sure that have a large supply of national alcoholic beverage of the host country. After about 5 hours of heavy drinking, they discuss rules changes...
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

FILA has not changed how you score the points, it has always been the same scoring structure.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    FILA has not changed how you score the points, it has always been the same scoring structure.
    Pushout?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Thats one change in how many years?

Folkstyle had added riding time, taken it away, made it so you can only earn one point. Some tournaments have it, some don't, maybe they all do now..... talk about confusing.

Olympic Champ

Freestyle is more confusing because:
    (1) I don't understand it as well (circular reasoning);
    (2) They keep changing the damn rules.