Thread: Line-Up Challenge

Default Line-Up Challenge

Sorry. i dont have enough posts to give a link but on flowrestling there is a challenge to give the best line up your state has to offer at these weights. post who would be in YOUR line-up from YOUR state. thanks and enjoy lets see whos state is the best!

MY Team California

118: Abas

126: Guerrero

134: Azevedo

142: Tirapelle

150: Kelly

158: Welch

167: Dave Shultz

177: Mark Shultz

190: Varner

HWT: Steven Neal<!-- / message -->

Default Re: Line-Up Challenge

I love the effort these guys are putting out to try and get NY some wrestling love. So, I'll play along, even though I'll admit after seeing CA and NJ's lineups, they don't stand a chance.

Oregon

118-Rick Sanders-3 time D2 Champ, 2-time D1 champ and 3 time finalist, Olympian
    126-Bobby Janisse
    134-Robin Reed-Probably greatest wrestler of all time
    142-Dan Hicks-2 time NCAA Champ, Wrestler of the Decade at his weight
    150-Travis West-D2 Champ, Olympian
    158-Dan Russell-4 time D2 Champ, multiple AA in D1, World medalist
    167-Dan Conway-NCAA Champ
    177-Les Gutches-2 time NCAA Champ, Olympian
    190-Greg Strobel-2 time NCAA Champ, Olympian
    HWT-Jess Lewis-2 time NCAA Champ

Some will question my 126 pick in Bobby Janisse. He was one of OR's all time greats, but his life ended tragically while at ASU.

One thing that states like NY, CA or NY can't compare with the OR team is that other than Janisse, all of these wrestlers not only went to HS in OR, but all wrestled in college in OR. And all come from two teams, Oregon State and Portland State.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

I agree that Janisse was a major talent, but I'd have to throw Dave Nieradka into the 126 spot. 2 great wrestlers from the Pininsula club!

I'll play - here's an Iowa team

118 Barry Davis, 3X NCAA, Olympic Silver (HOF)
    126 Terry Brands, 2X NCAA, 2X World Champ, Olympic Bronze (HOF)
    134 Tom Brands, 3X NCAA, 1X World Champ, Olympic Gold (HOF)
    142 Dan Gable, 2x NCAA, 1X World Champ, Olympic Gold (HOF)
    150 Bill Nelson, 3X NCAA, Olympian (HOF)
    158 Jim Zalesky, 3X NCAA (HOF)
    167 Bill Smith, 2X NCAA Olympic Gold (HOF)
    177 Glen Brand 1X NCAA, Olympic Gold (HOF)
    190 Lee Fullhart 1X NCAA, 1X US Senior Freestyle Champ
    HWT Tolly Thompson, 1X NCAA, World Bronze

This lineup is so strong through 150 that 3X NCAA Champs like Lowell Lange, Gerry Leeman (Olympic Silver) and Bill Koll (2X NCAA OW) don't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    I agree that Janisse was a major talent, but I'd have to throw Dave Nieradka into the 126 spot. 2 great wrestlers from the Peninsula club!
    Yeah 126 was a tough weight because nationally, we really didn't have anyone "great" per say as the highest Dave ever got was 6th. Then I thought about Janisse and all the talent he had and how we never got to even witness it at the college level.

I even thought a guy worth mentioning was Marc Sprague Jr as according to people I know, Bobby Douglas still says he was the best wrestler he ever got to see. The guy won everything but never panned out in college.

Then you have to consider just how tough our HWT's in OR have been. I had to leave off Howard Harris, Larry Beilenberg and Greg Gibson and our other light weights in John Miller and Broderick Lee. Or how about leaving out Shane Webster.

Its always interesting when people talk about states all time best. Especially, this NY guy on the other forum who assumes that only the best wrestlers ever have come out of NY and no other state exists. Pretty arrogant and that's what reminds me when I watched those two on Flo mention their little challenge. I mean look at Iowa's line up. That's a crazy lineup and I have to say puts NY's lineup to shame.

It's a shame, Dave was sooo close makin the finals @ North Carolina. Knocked off #1 Purler and then lost in the semis on the old tie breaker crap.

Definately because he had a great senior level career as well. Don't know if Glenn Garrison or Matt Lindland are able to be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by stangwrestler View Post
    Sorry. i dont have enough posts to give a link but on flowrestling there is a challenge to give the best line up your state has to offer at these weights. post who would be in YOUR line-up from YOUR state. thanks and enjoy lets see whos state is the best!

MY Team California

118: Abas

126: Guerrero

134: Azevedo

142: Tirapelle

150: Kelly

158: Welch

167: Dave Shultz

177: Mark Shultz

190: Varner

<!-- / message --> HWT: Steven Neal

I think Nathan Morgan would stand a better chance over eric guerrero for 126. Just my opinion.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    I agree that Janisse was a major talent, but I'd have to throw Dave Nieradka into the 126 spot. 2 great wrestlers from the Pininsula club!
    actually, b. janisse beat d. nieradka at the 1990 us junior world trials!