Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Terry Brands want to continue to be in Tom's Shadow?

Default Does Terry Brands want to continue to be in Tom's Shadow?

Kidding.. Kidding... but I knew that would be "Click Bait".

In all seriousness - You've got a glaring "Gable" reference, one of the top 5 wrestling programs in the country, and it's right in Iowa. While I know his Iowa ties run deep, think of the impact those two (Tom/Terry) would have on wrestling with a ultra-competitive in-state rivalry.

Most sports sites would really like to cover twins running two powerhouse programs, in the same state, both vying for a national title.

You'd keep a ton of talent in-state and bring it in from all over... this is probably a 'gimme' with whoever they pick, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that could compete with Tom Brands on Iowa recruiting better than his twin brother.

I can understand the idea that he probably would rather work with his brother, but why not move over to Ames, improve the rivalry and wrestling along the way.

'Hiding' all of the best coaches in the midwest has been a problem for wrestling on the east & west coast (with a couple exceptions, but nothing close to the 'quality coaching density' of the U of Iowa)

I think Terry Brands (now, since its open) or a Combination of Zadick/Schwab (in the future, since they are still competing) would be execellent out west at ASU, too.

Default Re: Does Terry Brands want to continue to be in Tom's Shadow?

Zadick to ASU? Trying to move my man away from me?

What I do know, Tom doesn't want Terry to go anywhere. At some point Terry will feel "right" about a head coaching position and take it.

I've heard Terry got a raise. Who knows maybe Iowa State makes a bigger play for Terry($$$).
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    What I do know, Tom doesn't want Terry to go anywhere. At some point Terry will feel "right" about a head coaching position and take it.

I've heard Terry got a raise. Who knows maybe Iowa State makes a bigger play for Terry($$$).
    Yeah, I think they'd need to offer him a pretty penny to pull him away, but he is certainly ready to take over that program, right now.

I've heard that Terry is holding out for the Oklahoma job.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Olympic Champ

Schlottke, you rabble rouser, you. Your thread title is worthy of that other forum.

I can't believe Terry would not jump at the ISU job if he had a chance.
    Does he want to be an assistant forever?
    Do you think he is afraid to compete with his brother?
    He is a Hawkeye through and through, but he can't be making very much as an assistant and when it comes time to putting food on the table and winning his wn championships, I can't believe he wants to stay an assistant.
    ISU is and will always be a top five wrestling school. Oppurtunities like this don't come up very often.

I think Terry makes about $120,000 now with his salary as Assistant Coach and being the head coach of the HWC. It least that is the number that is getting bounced around on the Hawkeye Boards.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Do you think he is afraid to compete with his brother?
    I think the Brands brothers define sibling rivalry and if they coached against one another, they would raise the intensity of the sport to new heights.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.