Thread: Toughest NCAA Bracket...

Default Toughest NCAA Bracket...

With the discussions about the best of all time and such, I was wondering what some of you thought the toughest NCAA brackets were. One that comes to mind for me is the 1994 158 pound bracket. It had Pat Smith winning his 4th title, Markus Mollica a returing NCAA Champ and future 2 timer taking 5th, Joe Williams a future 3 timer taking 7th and Barry Weldon a future NCAA Champ DNP. That's 10 NCAA titles. The placers were...

1- Pat Smith
    2- Sean Bormet
    3- Earl Walker
    4- Dan Alar
    5- Markus Mollica
    6- Aaron Moran
    7- Joe Williams
    8- Dan Wirnsberger

Default Re: Toughest NCAA Bracket...

Quote Originally Posted by BARR View Post
    With the discussions about the best of all time and such, I was wondering what some of you thought the toughest NCAA brackets were. One that comes to mind for me is the 1994 158 pound bracket. It had Pat Smith winning his 4th title, Markus Mollica a returing NCAA Champ and future 2 timer taking 5th, Joe Williams a future 3 timer taking 7th and Barry Weldon a future NCAA Champ DNP. That's 10 NCAA titles. The placers were...

1- Pat Smith
    2- Sean Bormet
    3- Earl Walker
    4- Dan Alar
    5- Markus Mollica
    6- Aaron Moran
    7- Joe Williams
    8- Dan Wirnsberger
    The 118lb bracket back in 1975 had...

Shawn Garel (Champion), Mike Land, Marc DiGirolamo, Andy Daniels, Mike McArthur, Jim Haines, and Nick Gallo. ALL 7 were NCAA champions!

In addition it had Mike Brown, Jack Spates (# 1 seed), Rich Molina, Steve Stalnaker, Pat Plourd, Ed Knect, Myron Shapiro, and Nabil Guketlov.

That bracket has never been exceeded.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Just to bring to mind something recent.....

Askren
    Herbert
    Perry

Okie City NCAA's. Just thought it was interesting that all 3 would win the title the next year. If you Herbert wins a title next year, they will all be two timers.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Overall depth wise though Grips...174 that year probably wasn't in the top 8 million brackets of all time.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

I dont think anyone is going to come close to 118 in '75.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

I agree, that's gonna be tough to beat.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"