Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In UI wrestling room, 'iron sharpens iron'

Default Re: In UI wrestling room, 'iron sharpens iron'

So in essence, two like metals, going at each other every day over time will wear the other down. I can actually see this happening.

I predict some transfers either this year or next.
    Last edited by goferphan; 04-15-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    So in essence, to like metals, going at each other every day over time will wear the other down. I can actually see this happening.

I predict some transfers either this year or next.
    Which one is going to transfer? A senior Tsirtsis? LeClere or Slaton who will follow Brands anywhere or Dennis who stated in that article that he will not transfer.

The reason they won't transfer is because all four of those young men think they are going to be national champions next year. Not a single one of them thinks that they are going to be the odd man out. It's all about the mentallity that Brands has brought back to the Iowa wrestling team. No one thinks they will lose.

Two words: Jesse Whitmer. Waited till his senior year to finally start. national champ. He's a hero at Iowa and his story should inspire some of those guys who might not start this year..

I am only saying what many are thinking and its a real potential issue. They talk about their current depth and that is without the recruits coming in. At some point that is what creates any kind of sense of parity is that they have only so many scholarships and only so many starting spots.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Hmmm, obviously the author is not a metalurgist, or slightly knowledeable of the science because a like metal can't sharpen another identical metal. the abrasion actually dulls both because the equal density.
    I got really sad when I saw that iron sharpens iron quote cause Dave Schulz would only train with his brother Mark and he used to always quote 'Steel sharpens Steel' .

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Which one is going to transfer? A senior Tsirtsis? LeClere or Slaton who will follow Brands anywhere or Dennis who stated in that article that he will not transfer.

The reason they won't transfer is because all four of those young men think they are going to be national champions next year. Not a single one of them thinks that they are going to be the odd man out. It's all about the mentallity that Brands has brought back to the Iowa wrestling team. No one thinks they will lose.
    I realize it is giving up on a dream, but only two of them are going to be starters next year. Also with all those studs in their room, they still only have 9.9 scholarships to give out. I would think there are oppurtunities elsewhere where they could start and also get more money to wrestle.

I don't see Tsirtsis making the lineup next year and this is coming from a long time fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiertrip View Post
    I don't see Tsirtsis making the lineup next year and this is coming from a long time fan.

IMO it's hard to tell. Unless you have been to open tournaments you havnt seen what Tsirtsis or Dennis look like yet. Those guys may have bought into what Brands sells and they could be right up there with everyone else. Tsirtsis has always had the talent. I think he lacked the mental aspect which is what Brands is a master of. From all indications Dennis is very good as well. We all know that LeClere is tough as a bull and then there's Slaton. All of these fellas are vying for two spots. There are many scenarios, but whomever makes the squad, rest assured, will be a title contender. Whomever doesnt make it will be right there makeing sure those others are on top of their game. I cant wait. Can we petition the NCAA to get this season started in May?

Maybe all these "extras" should go up to 157 and push Morningstar?

Can you imagine how good they would be if Metcalf would make the sacrifice to go to 157 that way giving LeClere 149, T-Shirts 141, Slaton 133 and Falck 125?

I guess that all comes down to whether or not Morningstar at 157 is better than T-Shirts at 149. Guess that is a toss-up. Okay, not really a good idea, everyone go back to their regularly scheduled programs.