Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Demaray NCAA Finals Videos

Default Re: Matt Demaray NCAA Finals Videos

He was a stud, for sure. I remember when he lost in the MN State finals his senior year against a kid from Simley, MN named Derek Jones. It was a big deal back then. Jones ever reached the level Demaray did in college though.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachWhite View Post
    He was a stud, for sure. I remember when he lost in the MN State finals his senior year against a kid from Simley, MN named Derek Jones. It was a big deal back then. Jones ever reached the level Demaray did in college though.

Jones was from Simley?
    Hey CoachWhite, where are you from?

Yeah, here is a write up on the Simley team from that year...

Winning championships is all about pressure. Winning your school's first championship is even more difficult. The Simley Spartans were in tough Region 1AA until this fateful year. The transition to Region 3AA in 1986-87 presented the Spartans a chance at the State Tournament without having to go through the Apple Valley Eagles in the region tournament. After beating the Hastings Raiders 40-12 in the region tournament the Spartans were "Going to the Show" for the first time.

Simley's first match pitted them against a strong team from Buffalo. Simley would only win two of the first four matches. Wade Short and Bob Smith got the Spartans on the board with lopsided victories. Tom Calvin squeaked out a 2-0 win, and the Spartans were on their way to seven more wins with Will Short beating a former Simley wrestler in Jason Hanson. Dan Harrison followed with a Technical Fall. Kevin Ahern scored a pin, and the route was on. Brady Harrison kept Buffalo searching after a tough 7-4 victory. The undefeated Chris Short pounded his opponent with a Technical Fall in 1:22, and Joe Schmidt finished off Buffalo with a 13-6 win. The final score of the dual meet was 43-11.

The victory over Buffalo presented the Spartans with a familiar foe. Waiting in the Semi-finals was Apple Valley. Earlier in the year the Spartans had split with the Eagles. The pressure of meeting the Eagles was mounting. Simley's goal was to try to win a key match or two in the lower weights in the hope of keeping the score close. The Spartans wouldn't have to wait long. Simley's 98-pound wrestler and son of Head Coach Jim Short pulled of a huge upset. Wade Short put Apple Valley's Brian Kemp on his back and wouldn't let him up. Earlier in the season Kemp pinned Short at an Owatonna Tournament. The fall presented Simley with an early 6-0 lead.

Apple Valley was reeling after the upset victory and managed close victories at 105 pounds, 112 pounds, 119 pounds, and 126 pounds. The four consecutive victories gave the Eagles the 13-6 lead, but it wasn't going to be enough. Simley's Will Short scored a big win over Tom Haze and gave the momentum back to the Spartans. Derek Jones off a huge upset of three-time State Champion Matt Demaray of Apple Valley dominated Rob Ingels and gave Simley the lead. Demaray beat Dan Harrison 3-0, but Kevin Ahern came right back for the Spartans with a solid win over Bobby Green by the score of 9-1. The dual meet score was close at 20-16. Time was running out for Valley. Jason Skapyak handled Simley's Brady Harrison giving the Eagles their last lead of the night (22-20). Chris Short put the Spartans up for good with a Technical Fall. With a 26-22 lead it was up to Joe Schmidt to put the Spartans into the finals. Joe never left the outcome in doubt with an 11-3 win. Simley had earned a tough victory and a place in the finals.

The Championship matched put Simley in a difficult position. Their opponent, Grand Rapids, was a bit of an unknown. Simley was expecting St. Francis to come out of that region. The early weights had the same goal as the previous dual meet. Keep it close so the bigger wrestlers could put it away. Unfortunately Simley would lose five of the first six weight classes, the last coming with Joe Seeger upsetting Will Short in a very exciting match.

The losses put Head Coach Jim Short in a difficult spot. He looked down his bench and decided to bring in Eric Lacher and move up his wrestlers up one weight class. Lacher hadn't wrestled in the tournament and was losing 5-0 to Chad Holm after the second period. Another loss here would put Simley in deep trouble. The team score was 15-3 and losing this match would have Jim Short scrambling for the victory. Lacher wasn't going to let that happen. The senior went on the offensive and managed to cradle Holm. With 20 seconds left Lacher scored the pin, and Simley had new life.

It was now Simley's turn for a string of victories. Derek Jones scored a Technical Fall bringing the team score to 15-15. The Jones win was followed by Dan Harrison's major victory providing Simley with their first lead. Kevin Ahern widened the gap by beating Bob Brink 7-2. Chris Short put the match away with another Technical Fall, and Simley had the school's first ever State Championship. Joe Schimdt tied Carey Tribbett, and the final score was 30-17.

The Minnesota Wrestling Championships celebrated its fiftieth year in 1987. Simley was very proud to be celebrating their first championship. The Spartans had only three seniors (Eric Lacher, Chris Short, and Joe Schmidt) on the squad. The Spartans were still a young team with seven returning state qualifiers. The pressure of winning a State Championship would be back in 1988.

Simley Spartan 1987 State Championship Team:
    98 - Wade Short
    98 - Andy Kirchner (State Qualifier)
    105 - Cory Nelson
    112 - Bob Smith
    119 - Rick Spychalla (State Qualifier)
    126 - Tom Calvin
    132 - Will Short (State Qualifier)
    132 - Scott Stowell
    138 - Derek Jones (State Champion)
    138 - Eric Lacher
    145 - Dan Harrison (3rd Place)
    155 - Kevin Ahern (4th Place)
    167 - Brady Harrison (State Qualifier)
    185 - Chris Short (State Champion)
    HWT - Joe Schmidt (State Qualifier)

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    Jones was from Simley?
    Hey CoachWhite, where are you from?
    Yes, he wrestled that year for Simley but I believe he finished his HS career at Minneapolis Roosevelt.
    I am originally from Western PA but moved to the Minneapolis area before my 10th grade year, which is the same year Jones beat Demaray. I now live in ND, where I wrestled in college.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachWhite View Post
    Yes, he wrestled that year for Simley but I believe he finished his High School career at Minneapolis Roosevelt.
    I am originally from Western PA but moved to the Minneapolis area before my 10th grade year, which is the same year Jones beat Demaray. I now live in ND, where I wrestled in college.
    Man I thought I was going crazy or something, I knew Jones wrestled for Roosevelt, I never knew he was at Simley. Where in ND? I'm an Dakota boy...Bismarck.

I live in Ellendale now but went to Jamestown, wrestled there 91 to 94 after Juco. There was a Trusty at UMary a couple years ahead of me, was dominant at 142. That you?

Brian Kemp was a wreck after that match. It was kind of the beginning of the end for Kemp as he was going to be the next big thing at Valley as he cracked the line-up in eighth grade. He never really did anything after that. I used to be a 98/105 lb alternate that year and Kemp just really never had his heart in it after that though he continued to wrestle.

I remember that was Joey Vennewitz for AV at 105 but can't remember who was at 112 and 119. I think 126 was Tim Duren.

That was an awesome Simley team just loaded with Short's, Harrison's and Aherns.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Some questions for the Minnesota guys........
    Didn't Kemp ended up @NDSU?
    Joey had loads of talent, how'd thing turn out for him?
    What's the story on Jones going from Simley to Roosevelt?

I had heard rumor that Brian Kemp committed suicide but haven't seen any articles to back that up. Not sure what happened to him after high school. If he ended up at NDSU I would imagine that Bill Demaray had something to do with it and I would say good for him.

Joey Vennewitz hung around Apple Valley for quite some time and I ran into him about seven hears ago. I think he was doing cable installation or something like that. He is also still coaching in the room I hear from time to time. Wouldn't surprise me if the kid is still around 125-130 and solid muscle.

Joey is one of those guys you cling close to because a kid like that is getting in to heaven and if I can just hang on his coattails, I might get in too. Great guy. Good friend. He took me under his wing when I moved there as a sophomore and was a friend to me from the get go. I heard that he had a near death experience last year or so when he wiped out on his watercraft. The guy that was with him I guess noticed that he was down, got in the water, pulled him out and performed CPR on him. Crazy story.

No idea about Jones.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."