Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dook has highest team GPA in the nation

Olympic Champ

GPA might not always be a factor but it sure is nice to apply to law schools and medical schools when your GPA is way over 3.0.

I believe individually wise we had a Kansas native top on the academic AA list.
    Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz

Maybe the smartest thing that Kansas native did was go out of state!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

lawyer, a doctor - yup grades count in order to get into law / med school.

finance - nope, it's all in your personality in the interview - and it's helpful to know someone on the inside.

Same here - the major course of study counts, but I've never asked the GPA question since what you need to know in this business is learned on the job. The more critical characteristic is the ability to communicate.

Default Re: Dook has highest team GPA in the nation

The most successful people are characterized by their emotional intelligence, their ability to move from bigger picture to detail quickly/seamlessly, communication skills, and how they balance their personal and professional life.

There are a lot of C level executive that do not have spectacular GPA's. Not a prerequisite. It's also not a prerequisite to define a successful career as ending up in a board room, in a Dr's office, or as an attorney...increasing levels of responsibility and upward movement over the years of their working lives is a much better definition of a successful career.

Sorry, Big. GPA only matters once...your first job. And then only if you don't have very good communication skills in the interview with absolutely no activities outside of the classroom.

Olympic Champ

And I am sorry to see so many of you have lived a good portion of your lives and still can't see a difference between a person that excells and gets great grades and the one involved in sophistry when applying for a job.

It is truly sad to see people completely ignore academic scholarship, the notion that one's brain can perform a task much better after doing well in school.

All some of you can concentrate on is "Oh communication skills (meaning skills to bullshit), oh experience (skills learned for more bullshit), and so on"

Sure communication and skills are important but WHY DO YOU ASSUME that a person with good grades must lack communication skills?

I am talking about a full package, a great communicator, great grades and so on.

I just hope that you don't tell your children who are still in school what you are saying here on these forums. I am glad I am not working for you.

Big,
    Nobody is saying Grades aren't important. However, they are not, as many, many studies have found, THE factor that determines success.
    A 3.0 vs a 3.8 at a good university is not going to deter anyone from reaching potential.
    (A 2.1, however, may.)
    Conversely, 4.0's have been found, in a large portion of that population, to be lacking in the other factors needed to be successful.
    College teaches you the academic facts you need. It also hones the social skills needed to succeed.
    These are all generalities....you may be a 4.0 with great EI and communication skills. You should be happy to know that, if you are, you have quite a leg up on your competition because people like you are few and far between.

D's get degrees....

Big,

You forget the pioneering, risk-taking businessmen in the world. Have you ever heard of a college drop out named Bill Gates?

I have done pretty well with myself on a 3.0 GPA. With my vision, using my highschool and college networking was way more valuable than anything that showed up on my transcripts.

I have a good job with a reputable top 50 company and have two side businesses that do in excess of $800,000 a year in sales. None of that have anything to do with my GPA. Granted those upper echelon jobs like Doctor's, Lawyers etc require good GPA's but I have two E.R. doctors on my block that don't bring home salaries any higher than mine and I didn't spend six extra years in school to get started.

Just a thought.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."