Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metcalf wins Hodge Trophy

Default Re: Metcalf wins Hodge Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    ...people must be going apesh!t over on themat.com.
    When I checked over there earlier it was pretty tame compared to the Guillotine!

The thing that most surprised me in that article is about Sports Illustrated. You mean to tell me that no other wrestler except Hodge has ever appeared on the cover? Not Dan Gable, not Cael Sanderson? Not any of the Olympic wrestlers? That is really shocking.

Would someone please remind who Metcalf had his 1 loss to and when? I just cannot remember.

Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    The thing that most surprised me in that article is about Sports Illustrated. You mean to tell me that no other wrestler except Hodge has ever appeared on the cover? Not Dan Gable, not Cael Sanderson? Not any of the Olympic wrestlers? That is really shocking.

Would someone please remind who Metcalf had his 1 loss to and when? I just cannot remember.
    Caldwell spladled and pinned him the same dual tournament Perry was down big to Brown of ODU and got Dq'd
    Last edited by IowaState2007; 03-29-2008 at 10:38 AM.

It's a difficult argument to put up aginast BMetcalf. "The Most Dominant" has always been the top criteria with condieration to pins and an undefeated record. I have a suspicion that Phil Davis may have tip toed into the award if not for lone loss.

It was the St. Edward Duals November 24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuvAN-c36g

Of all the wrestlers in all weight classes, I thought Brent was most dominate. Congratulations to him.

I think many more rewards should be available for wrestlers. I suggest the Sanderson trophy - undefeated first, then most dominate - Pucillo. The Heart Award - highest placing most disadvantaged wrestler - Anthony Robles ( although I'm sure he would not think he was at a disadvantage)
    See you in St. Louis!

Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post

Most big wrestling events occur when there is a lot of other sporting news going on. During the NCAAs there is the NCAA Basketball tournament (I think some people call it march Madness) and baseball spring training (this week's cover). During the Olympics there are some many stories in a two-three week and wrestling is never the top story.

BTW, thumbs down to SI this week for not even mentioning the NCAAs. In the past year they have given it a little coverage and the resurgance of Ioaw is a pretty good story.

thanks for that. that was a pretty awesome display and quite a move. Interesting that his only loss was a pin. I guess that's the only way to beat him ....