Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Default Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

I read three newspapers: the WSJ, the Times, and my local paper. There was not a single word about the NCAA Wrestling Finals in any of them. Not one single word. There are two colleges in my town and several high schools. We get maybe one "color" story per year from there and they all have wrestling teams. Why is this?

Default Re: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Wrestling is considered 2nd tier. Plus this is March Madness, wrestling needs to move the season back a few weeks. Our local papers give great wrestling coverage. Oh course, I'm in Iowa we have no pro teams, if I have to choose I'd choose wrestling anyway.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Wrestling is considered 2nd tier. Plus this is March Madness, wrestling needs to move the season back a few weeks. Our local papers give great wrestling coverage. Oh course, I'm in Iowa we have no pro teams, if I have to choose I'd choose wrestling anyway.
    Or forward a few weeks. The Ivy leaque schools have late Duals to make room for January testing. JP had mid terms early Monday morning last year. He was up studying past midnight and wrestling the next day. Plus it's spring break. A lot of would be followers are down south soaking up the sun, among other things.
    See you in St. Louis!

brain fart on my part I meant having the tournament in April. Avoids midterms springbreak ect.

Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    I read three newspapers: the WSJ, the Times, and my local paper. There was not a single word about the NCAA Wrestling Finals in any of them. Not one single word. There are two colleges in my town and several high schools. We get maybe one "color" story per year from there and they all have wrestling teams. Why is this?
    Have you asked any of these papers why?

Excuse me while I climb on the soapbox.

Folks, we can change this! Yes - Wiltz (and others ) and I live in Iowa, where wrestling coverage outstrips all other markets. Why is that? If Pennsylvania is sending more other wrestlers to nationals than any other state, why isn't the Inquirer making this a lead sports story? Each of us is responsible for ramping up coverage. Write your sports editors, etc.

If we can do it in Iowa - WHY CAN'T YOU?

Ohio is a great example. High school wrestling is as popular there as anywhere. The Buckeyes just came off an exemplary finish at Nationals. The Cleveland Plain Dealer just finished featuring the performances of Ohio wrestlers at Nationals. Write them - make them understand what wrestling means to their readership.

If we don't, who will?!?!?!?

Good point GG!

Please don't take offense, but what sports are competing for coverage in Iowa?

In Pittsburgh the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt Bball (mens & womens) all trump wrestling. That's just the way it is.

Before you call me out, I have written to and emailed the local papers several years ago.

I now go to the internet for my wrestling news.

Wrestlingreport.com (one of the first amateur wrestling sites) was started out of frustration due to a lack of media coverage.

Yeah, wrestling gets coverage at Midlands and if Northwestern or Illinois has a national champion, but with March Madness, the Bulls, the Cubs, the Sox, the Blackhawks, the Bears, the Rush, the Wolves, etc., it can be tough to get the mainstream media to pay attention. Also, have you noticed how much thinner newspapers have been lately? That's because advertisers are leaving in droves.

I agree with GG that you should be an active citizen and tell your paper what you want covered. At the same time, who really cares about MSM anymore? We have all our niche coverage, the Wrestling Report, Intermat, some excellent blogs , Flo Wrestling, etc... Don't sweat the newspapers as they are a dying breed.