Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Default Re: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Blue - I had a conversation today with a Chicago resident about this exact topic. He was a classmate of Tom and Terry Brands at Iowa and overheard (eavesdropped?) a conversation between my favorite bartender and me about the tournament. He didn't even know that Iowa had won!

I told him that it is probable that Northwestern will have a strong team next year and that he ought to get out and see them and that Iowa City is close enough that he could get to meets. I also gave him the urls of The Wrestling Talk and HawkeyeNation.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying about the Tribune and the Sun-Times devoting so much time to the Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks and comparing that to us having Andy Hamilton and J R Ogden. Okay - we have an advantage. But, why accept that?

I happen to "know" someone who writes a great blog about wrestling and the martial arts from the female viewpoint. That's exactly the kind of thing we all need to be doing. If wrestling - especially the college version - is going to gain in popularity, we don't have the luxury of waiting for someone else to do it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Send her some travel brochures to beautiful downtown Des Moines too.
    Naaa - I'm trying to get her to come to Cedar Rapids for DIIIs next year. BTW - have you been to Columbia, MO? (Sorry, blue)

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Have you asked any of these papers why?
    Yes, I have asked and, of course, gotten no response. They cover women's basketball -- and we have no local team -- to death and I don't know a single, living soul who watches or cares about women's basketball.

I've been to Columbia, MO it's nice GG.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    Naaa - I'm trying to get her to come to Cedar Rapids for DIIIs next year. BTW - have you been to Columbia, MO? (Sorry, blue)
    Yep, one of my colleges' football and roundball teams played there often. (Sorry, blue)

Please don't get me wrong-I LOVE Iowa. I've been to Iowa City, Ames and Cedar Falls, and I had a blast in each place. This fall, my niece is enrolling at UNI, and I plan to visit her many times. So many times, that she is getting a bit concerned that I might cramp her style.

Oh, and did any of you notice that I spent my four years in Columbia, and got the hell out of there? It's a great place to go to college, and I'm glad I lived there, but I'm a city gal. I had to get back to the land of pollution, crowding, crime and traffic!

I'm in my mid-40s and belong to an internet wrestling club. Get together with guys all over the world to do freestyle wrestling. All ages, all skill levels. Many of the guys wrestled in HS or College, some just picked it up later.

Just about everyone I've met has one thing in common (besides wrestling): they don't tell their "non-wrestling" friends that they do this. It seems wrestling is the one sport that guys cannot continue to do after college because many people think there is something weird about it. I let it slip at a dinner party once and a woman looked at me and actually said "but, it's so gay, isn't it?" And that's not an isolated comment.

A woman who used to clean for me had a son who was going off to college. I met him. He was 5'8", very muscular and compact. My first thought was to ask her if he had been on the wrestling team in HS. She said he started it but she felt it was "kinda gay" so she convinced him to quit and do football instead.

I was flabbergasted. I also got weird looks like that from my local newspaper editor when I suggested more wrestling coverage.

It seems like there needs to be a lot more education on this subject and, perhaps, that could lead to a better understanding and more coverage of wrestling in the media.

PS: I live 45 minutes from the Iowa border. We don't have a major sports team of any kind within 3 or 4 hours of here. Still no wrestling coverage but lots of every other sport including Figure Skating!

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Oh, and did any of you notice that I spent my four years in Columbia, and got the hell out of there? It's a great place to go to college, and I'm glad I lived there, but I'm a city gal. I had to get back to the land of pollution, crowding, crime and traffic!
    Does that mean you've moved to Boston? WELCOME!