Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Default Re: Why so little coverage of the NCAA in the media?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    Please don't take offense, but what sports are competing for coverage in Iowa?

In Pittsburgh the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt Bball (mens & womens) all trump wrestling. That's just the way it is.

Before you call me out, I have written to and emailed the local papers several years ago.

I now go to the internet for my wrestling news.

Wrestlingreport.com (one of the first amateur wrestling sites) was started out of frustration due to a lack of media coverage.
    I agree. The globe in Boston has been solicited for Harvard. They're not going to compete with the Celtics, Red Sox, or Patriots.
    See you in St. Louis!

When I lived in the Lehigh Valley the lcoal paper was a ton of coverage for HS wrestling but almost noting for the Nationals. They mentioned local wrestlers and Lehigh guys, but not one word about the rest of the tournament. The Lehigh Valley produces some of the best wrestlers in the country, but there was very little interest or coverage of what happens in the rest of the country and also zero coverage of Olympic level wrestling.

In Pittsburgh the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt Bball (mens & womens) all trump wrestling. That's just the way it is.

Before you call me out, I have written to and emailed the local papers several years ago.

Wrestlingreport.com (one of the first amateur wrestling sites) was started out of frustration due to a lack of media coverage.
    G&P not going to call you out. I mentioned the same thing. I will agree with GG that the base of wrestling fans in Ohio, Pa, ect are on par or maybe larger based on population than Iowa. So why is there not better coverage?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

One other thought - we all love a sport where overcoming adversity is a hallmark. We expect our favorite wrestlers to rise to the occassion and win no matter the odds. Why should we expect anything less from ourselves when it comes to promoting wrestling. We don't have the luxury of being "Pencil-Neck" Dransfeldt in Oregon - having a free forum to say how pickup basketball is better than intercollegiate wrestling (that has produced more Nobel Peace Prize winners than "shirts and skins" hoops ever will). IT'S OUR JOB to fight the battle.

I can add this.

The main sports writers have been around for ever. They get to "major league" stories.

It's the 4th, 5th & 6th guys in the writer's pecking order that would the ones who cover minor sports like wrestling.

The problem is that these guys come and go continuously. Every once in awhile we get one who knows wrestling and we get ok coverage.

I'm sorry - I can't drop this. This is why guys like Andy Hamilton (yes, of the Iowa City Press Citizen, but also ESPN.com) and our own Dart Shark and Ideamark are so important - they're getting the word out to more than just the hardcore.

Also - don't underestimate the influence that someone like DH can have with that exciting photography.
    Last edited by gg121and2; 03-26-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

But it's easy for you to say from the wrestling bubble of Iowa. The Hawkeyes are your pro team. In Pennsylvania and Ohio, you have the pro teams of Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati and the juggernauts of Penn St. and Ohio St. football to contend with. Who do you have to contend with in Iowa, the triple A Cubs?

World Champ

Traditionally, even in Iowa, football and basketball trump wrestling in years when they're decent and wrestling is down. Lately, this is less so because folks there are starting to recognize wrestling more as part of regional culture than just a sport where they excel. Call this the Gable effect. It's also changing because, as you've pointed out, the web makes community development around esoteric interests easy. Schedules, rosters, and results are a few clicks away. My guess, and its only a guess, is that some (perhaps GG) would argue that it's less about wrestling's failure to compete for attention, and more about our collective failure to promote it properly. I'm not sure.

News is a business. Print and broadcast media report news, and if only a few people show up at wrestling meets, it isn't news. If no one calls or writes, newspapers assume that no one cares. It's no different in Iowa, Pittsburgh, Iran, or Mongolia. As you say, that's just the way it is. So if it's been a few years, call or write again.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    But it's easy for you to say from the wrestling bubble of Iowa. The Hawkeyes are your pro team. In Pennsylvania and Ohio, you have the pro teams of Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati and the juggernauts of Penn St. and Ohio St. football to contend with. Who do you have to contend with in Iowa, the triple A Cubs?
    The Hawkeyes are not Iowa's pro team. The Cubs and Bears and Vikes and Packers are Iowa pro teams. It is almost provincial for people in large metro areas not to see their larger sphere of influence. In Maine, they follow the Red Sox and Patriots, but Maine doesn't have a pro team either.