Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Bubba Jenkins

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Bubba Jenkins

When I talk about 4 minutes I mean to say that in freestyle it might be different.

Anyway Vak you are wrong about Jenkins having it easy at Junior Worlds. In the finals he beat the Turk that beat the World champ from Metcalf's weight.

The Turk beat that Russian earlier at Europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    Did they wrestle the same guys? No. As near as I've been told, Bubba wasn't exactly wrestling in a very deep weight, whereas Metcalf was in a deeper bracket. Not to mention that Metcalf has wrestled Freestyle against many top guys, both U.S. and in the Clansmen and done very well for himself in Freestyle.
    I'm guessing that there are not a lot of easy weights at the Jr. World championship. Give Jenkins credit, he won Jr. Worlds, which is very rare for a US wrestler, and he made it to the finals in NCAAs.

Big, also has a point, if they were wrestling international rules, Jenkins might have won that match. This is not a hypothetical setup, following the current Freestyle rules, Jenkins might only have to wrestle a four minute match and has a decent chance of beating Metcalf. No question Metcalf is the better Folkstyle wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I'm guessing that there are not a lot of easy weights at the Jr. World championship. Give Jenkins credit, he won Jr. Worlds, which is very rare for a US wrestler, and he made it to the finals in NCAAs.

Big, also has a point, if they were wrestling international rules, Jenkins might have won that match. This is not a hypothetical setup, following the current Freestyle rules, Jenkins might only have to wrestle a four minute match and has a decent chance of beating Metcalf. No question Metcalf is the better Folkstyle wrestler.
    Of COURSE it's a hypothetical set-up, because now we're taking the first 4 minutes of a Folkstyle match and setting it to Freestyle rules. WE're hypothetically assuming both guys would wrestle the exact same style under a different set of rules, which is both hypothetical and dumb.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    Of COURSE it's a hypothetical set-up, because now we're taking the first 4 minutes of a Folkstyle match and setting it to Freestyle rules. WE're hypothetically assuming both guys would wrestle the exact same style under a different set of rules, which is both hypothetical and dumb.
    OK you are right. It is hypothetical, but it is not some off the wall dreamed-up rules that someone came up with to create a scenario so that Bubba would have a chance.

A clear example of Metcalf's athletic ability is him defending a deep shot by Palmer in the quarter finals, that in my opinion was very athletic - and of course his overall athleticism to even compete at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    To imply -- in any way -- that ANY of the guys wrestling in the NCAA finals is not "athletic" just seems silly.

I finally saw the Metcalf vs. Jenkins match where Metcalf pinned him and scored on him at will. If that isn't "athletic" I don't know what was.

I've never seen a wrestler -- Jenkins -- with less stamina. Metcalf was scoring on him at will. Jenkins didn't even seem to try to stop Metcalf from pinning him. And more than half of Jenkins points were escapes that Metcalf let him have just so he could take him down again ....