Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 22

Thread: OSU Buckeye Wrestling for 2008-9

  1. #1
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Possible OSU Line Up:

    125 - Nikko Triggas: 2008 NCAA qualifier, beat some good guys including McKnight, very tough on top.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    133 - Reece Humphrey: 2008 NCAA qualifier, ranked 12 or 13th pretty much all year. Had some good matches against people (including taking Gomez to the limits in the 2nd Round at NCAAs). He cuts a lot of weight though, so if he doesn't grow and struggle too much with the weight, he should AA. Also, if Palmer redshirts next year (which I think is improbable, but a lot of people speculate will happen), he would go up to 141 and be a good bit stronger.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA, MAYBE Champ

    141 - J Jaggers: 2008 NCAA Champ. Hopefully his ankle isn't too bad and doesn't cause him a lot problems next year. He could repeat as Champ his senior year, but should definitely be a solid AA (I would say for sure, but who really knows)
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    149 - Lance Palmer: Finished 4th last year, 8th this year. Has shown he can beat anyone. 149 will not be as loaded next year, and he should be solid there. Some people speculate he will redshirt next year so he can make room for Jaggers and Humphrey to wrestle more comfortable weights and have 2 years to wrestle with his brother, Collin, who will be a senior next year. I think it won't happen, but it could be cool if it did.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ (if he doesn't redshirt)

    157 - Jason Johnstone: 2008 NCAA Qualifier. OSU has 3 wrestlers that would be pretty good 149s: Jaggers, Palmer, and Johnstone. However, there is only 1 spot, and Palmer holds it. Johnstone has battled with wrestling bigger guys the last 2 years, but this year he started to do some good things. I predict him as an AA next year as he fully grows into the weight.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    165 - Colt Sponseller. What can I say? Has one of the best motors out there. He is incredibly swift and fluid--a takedown machine. Everyone was pretty much shocked that he didn't qualify for NCAA's, and many expected him to AA. 165 was a relatively weak class this year, and it loses several of it's top competitors next year. Sponseller will still be there, and I expect him to AA very high, and quite possibly win it all.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    174 - ???: The weakest spot in the lineup this year for the Bucks as Sr. Alex Picazo struggled immensely with the weight cut down from 184. There isn't really anyone to step up next year, either. Best chance is probably Cody Magrum (3x State Champ in Ohio), who will be a true freshman. However, Magrum wrestled at 189 this year, so 174 might be too big of a cut. So who knows.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Qualifier

    184 - Mike Pucillo: 2008 NCAA Champ. Likely a finalist for OSU again next year, but it will be interesting to see how he does against Herbert. Regardless, should not finish outside top 3 unless he gets injured.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    197 - John Weakley: 8th place at Big Tens. Weakley is an incredible athlete, but has very raw wrestling skills. He is one of the strongest, most muscular guys you will see. I think he should have redshirted this year. With another year of training and learning from some great upperweights under his belt, he should polish his skills a lot and be a true force in a weight class that is losing a LOT of seniors after this year.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA


    285 - Corey Morrison. There are a few guys that could push for this spot. John Hiles will be a true freshman and is a very technically solid HWT. He was nationally ranked as a high school senior. Eric Diagosta has only been wreslting for about 4 years, but he has some promise. Still I don't think he will ever crack the starting lineup. Jesse Campbell is also there, but also will probably never start. Corey Morrison is a pretty athletic HWT, and started all year last year after taking the position from injurred AA Kirk Nail. Morrison will likely get the spot, and should qualify, and possibly AA at NCAAs after working with great guys like Bergman and Rowlands.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    Team - Ohio State Buckeyes: 2008 Runners up. should be much better than they were this year, as they are losing only Bergman and Picazo (who didn't do much this year). They really surprised me this year by finishing 2nd, but if all of them show up and wrestle their best, they could have done even better. Palmer was so close to beating Metcalf, and Humphrey was so close to beating Gomez. With the moment from those wins and if Sponseller had been at NCAAs, they could have won the title, assuming they all wrestled their very best, which many did, and Iowa has showed is possible.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Team Champs

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    I'm not even sure how to respond to the above post, with Ohio State's 10 AA's and 4 (MAYBE 5 champs).
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    I'm a Colt fan after seeing him wrestle a couple of times. I think he is the best wrestler on the team, which is real scary considering they had two NCAA champs.

    Thanks for the roster update. Ohio State should gain some ground on Iowa next year.

  4. #4
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    I'm not even sure how to respond to the above post, with Ohio State's 10 AA's and 4 (MAYBE 5 champs).
    Do you know how to count?? There were 9 AAs. And every prediction was appropriately labeled "Optimistic Prediction." I did this to give people who aren't in touch with OSU wrestling an idea of the potential these guys have. Moreover, I'm not saying all these things will happen, but these men are definitely capable of making these things happen if they show up to wrestle.

    And for the record, all 9 of those people ARE capable of being AAs. 2 of them have proven they can be NCAA champs (hence 2 titles this year). Lance really can beat anyone, and Colt is relentless and in a weak weight class next year. Reece as a champ is a bit of a stretch but he is very athletic. If he didn't have to cut weight so hard, he would be a lot better.

    When OSU has 8 or 9 AAs and multiple champs next year, know that they have wrestled their best.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Do you know how to count?? There were 9 AAs. And every prediction was appropriately labeled "Optimistic Prediction." I did this to give people who aren't in touch with OSU wrestling an idea of the potential these guys have. Moreover, I'm not saying all these things will happen, but these men are definitely capable of making these things happen if they show up to wrestle.

    And for the record, all 9 of those people ARE capable of being AAs. 2 of them have proven they can be NCAA champs (hence 2 titles this year). Lance really can beat anyone, and Colt is relentless and in a weak weight class next year. Reece as a champ is a bit of a stretch but he is very athletic. If he didn't have to cut weight so hard, he would be a lot better.

    When OSU has 8 or 9 AAs and multiple champs next year, know that they have wrestled their best.
    I apologize, you had "???" labelled as a NCAA qualifier. Everybody is "capable of being an AA" and most guys on a Big 10 team are "capable of winning a NCAA championship", but even the most optimistic of predictions has to say "Hmmm, 5 wrestlers as NCAA champs? I don't think so." Reece Humphrey was not an AA this year. Predicting an NCAA champ for him? Sponsellor didn't even MAKE NCAA's and you predict an NCAA championships. It seems to me you're going beyond "optimistic" and into just "unreasonable" territory.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Reece Humphrey is alright but at this level all of the athletes are pretty athletic.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Possible OSU Line Up:

    125 - Nikko Triggas: 2008 NCAA qualifier, beat some good guys including McKnight, very tough on top.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    133 - Reece Humphrey: 2008 NCAA qualifier, ranked 12 or 13th pretty much all year. Had some good matches against people (including taking Gomez to the limits in the 2nd Round at NCAAs). He cuts a lot of weight though, so if he doesn't grow and struggle too much with the weight, he should AA. Also, if Palmer redshirts next year (which I think is improbable, but a lot of people speculate will happen), he would go up to 141 and be a good bit stronger.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA, MAYBE Champ

    141 - J Jaggers: 2008 NCAA Champ. Hopefully his ankle isn't too bad and doesn't cause him a lot problems next year. He could repeat as Champ his senior year, but should definitely be a solid AA (I would say for sure, but who really knows)
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    149 - Lance Palmer: Finished 4th last year, 8th this year. Has shown he can beat anyone. 149 will not be as loaded next year, and he should be solid there. Some people speculate he will redshirt next year so he can make room for Jaggers and Humphrey to wrestle more comfortable weights and have 2 years to wrestle with his brother, Collin, who will be a senior next year. I think it won't happen, but it could be cool if it did.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ (if he doesn't redshirt)

    157 - Jason Johnstone: 2008 NCAA Qualifier. OSU has 3 wrestlers that would be pretty good 149s: Jaggers, Palmer, and Johnstone. However, there is only 1 spot, and Palmer holds it. Johnstone has battled with wrestling bigger guys the last 2 years, but this year he started to do some good things. I predict him as an AA next year as he fully grows into the weight.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    165 - Colt Sponseller. What can I say? Has one of the best motors out there. He is incredibly swift and fluid--a takedown machine. Everyone was pretty much shocked that he didn't qualify for NCAA's, and many expected him to AA. 165 was a relatively weak class this year, and it loses several of it's top competitors next year. Sponseller will still be there, and I expect him to AA very high, and quite possibly win it all.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    174 - ???: The weakest spot in the lineup this year for the Bucks as Sr. Alex Picazo struggled immensely with the weight cut down from 184. There isn't really anyone to step up next year, either. Best chance is probably Cody Magrum (3x State Champ in Ohio), who will be a true freshman. However, Magrum wrestled at 189 this year, so 174 might be too big of a cut. So who knows.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Qualifier

    184 - Mike Pucillo: 2008 NCAA Champ. Likely a finalist for OSU again next year, but it will be interesting to see how he does against Herbert. Regardless, should not finish outside top 3 unless he gets injured.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Champ

    197 - John Weakley: 8th place at Big Tens. Weakley is an incredible athlete, but has very raw wrestling skills. He is one of the strongest, most muscular guys you will see. I think he should have redshirted this year. With another year of training and learning from some great upperweights under his belt, he should polish his skills a lot and be a true force in a weight class that is losing a LOT of seniors after this year.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA


    285 - Corey Morrison. There are a few guys that could push for this spot. John Hiles will be a true freshman and is a very technically solid HWT. He was nationally ranked as a high school senior. Eric Diagosta has only been wreslting for about 4 years, but he has some promise. Still I don't think he will ever crack the starting lineup. Jesse Campbell is also there, but also will probably never start. Corey Morrison is a pretty athletic HWT, and started all year last year after taking the position from injurred AA Kirk Nail. Morrison will likely get the spot, and should qualify, and possibly AA at NCAAs after working with great guys like Bergman and Rowlands.
    Optimistic Prediction: AA

    Team - Ohio State Buckeyes: 2008 Runners up. should be much better than they were this year, as they are losing only Bergman and Picazo (who didn't do much this year). They really surprised me this year by finishing 2nd, but if all of them show up and wrestle their best, they could have done even better. Palmer was so close to beating Metcalf, and Humphrey was so close to beating Gomez. With the moment from those wins and if Sponseller had been at NCAAs, they could have won the title, assuming they all wrestled their very best, which many did, and Iowa has showed is possible.
    Optimistic Prediction: NCAA Team Champs
    no offense but these predictions are absurd. weakley can be as strong and buff as he wants but went 0-2 against JUSTIN BRONSON


    Ye gods man I can be a minny homer sometimes but at least I try to be realistic.

    You have a question mark qualifying, that would probably be a first.

    you have a guy who has never shown himself to be AA calibur in morrison aaing

    you have reese humphrey who didnt even AA this year being a national champ.

    Pucillo beating herbert is pretty damn optimistic as well and it wont happen.

  8. #8
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    I apologize, you had "???" labelled as a NCAA qualifier. Everybody is "capable of being an AA" and most guys on a Big 10 team are "capable of winning a NCAA championship", but even the most optimistic of predictions has to say "Hmmm, 5 wrestlers as NCAA champs? I don't think so." Reece Humphrey was not an AA this year. Predicting an NCAA champ for him? Sponsellor didn't even MAKE NCAA's and you predict an NCAA championships. It seems to me you're going beyond "optimistic" and into just "unreasonable" territory.

    If you've ever watched Colt wrestle, you'd know that he is definitely one of the best at his weight class. He never stops, and wears opponents down. With his motor and determination, he is never out of a match. I would go so far as to say he has a better motor than Metcalf; however, Colt is not strong enough to manhandle opponents like Metcalf does. Metcalf is ripped, and Colt is not there yet. In the 3rd period, people wrestling Colt are just as tired as those wrestling Metcalf. Hopefully, Colt will focus heavily on his strength this year. When he builds that up, and if he does it by next season, you have an NCAA Champ. Especially in a weight class that will be vacated like 165. Also, Colt is just as driven and determined as Metcalf; he's just not as strong. To me, there is no better sight in wrestling than watching Colt be 100% in the 3rd period and seeing how his opponent takes it.

    The biggest reach for NCAA champ is definitely Reece Humphrey. I seriously doubt it will happen, and the only reason I said it is because of how close his match with Gomez was.

    As for the other three, Jaggers, Palmer, and Pucillo, if you tell me they don't much have better than average chances of being Champs, I tell you you're out of your mind.

    I really have no idea who will win the spot at 174 or how they will perform, but in a conference where 7 out of 11 wrestlers qualify, tell me that an Ohio 3x State champ (at 171, 171, 189) doesn't have an pretty good chance of qualifying in a weight class that returns only 4 big ten wrestlers ranked in the top 20.

    Finally, NO WHERE in my post did I say that OSU would have 9 AAs and 5 (or even 4) champs. I said that their were 9 individuals perfectly capable with very legitimate shots at being AA (yes, more than the average wrestler). I said there are 4 (MAYBE 5<--note the big "maybe") wrestlers perfectly capable and with very legitimate shots at winning titles. Two of them have already done so. One (Lance Palmer) showed how close he is to beating Metcalf, and has beaten Schlatter. The fourth (Colt Sponseller) I have already talked about. The MAYBE, yeah, I admit, it's not going to happen, and this is the only long shot I think I have optimistically predicted.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

    Sponsellor is a bigger reach then Humphrey, by far. Colt didn't make it NCAA's in a weak weight in the Big 10. He's just not going to win it. Guaranteed.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •