Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OSU Buckeye Wrestling for 2008-9

Default Re: Gophers have to be disappointed

I think that 65 might be a little tougher than you think. Marable is still there, Minny will have a tough 65 pounder. ISU will have a tough 65 pounder. Leen may have to move up next year. If Welch wrestles 65 we will be extremely tough. Sponsellor needs to worry about winning a match at the B10s before winning a national championship the next year. Id think everyone would be running back to 65 after Perry and Tannenbaum are gone.

World Champ

Default OSU Buckeye Wrestling for 2008-9

Here's your chance for speculation on for Buckeye Wrestling next season. Who will start? Who will win the Big Tens? Who will AA? Who will be next year's champions?

Default Re: OSU Buckeye Wrestling for 2008-9

125: Triggas AA
    133: Livingston AA
    141: Humphrey AA
    149: Jaggers Champ
    157: Nemec AA
    165: Sponseller AA
    174: Finnicum
    184: Pucillo Champ
    197: Weakly AA
    HVY: Morrison AA

Big Ten and NCCA Champs

Palmer on RS
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-25-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Wow, Jaggers over Metcalf? I think Metcalf breaks Jaggers in two. Also, is OSU not going to have a 197 next year? You might as well pencil him in for AA as well. OSU will be good, but I think a lot of things have to go their way to get 8 AA next year.

I'd say they'd be questionable AA at 133, 157, and 285. Jaggers will not win a national title at 149 (he'd be questionable to AA at that weight, just ask Lang). Pucillo will have a very difficult time repeating as well. I think Herbert takes him with little problem. If Varner is back at 84, I think he'd get him in the rematch as well.

125: Triggas AA
    133: Livingston AA
    141: Humphrey AA
    149: Jaggers Champ
    157: Nemec AA
    165: Sponseller AA
    174: Finnicum
    184: Pucillo Champ
    HVY: Morrison AA

Big Ten and NCCA Champs

Palmer on RS
    Six wrestlers that didnt AA this year are going to next year? I could see them qualifying but top 8? As sean said 49 is not getting that much easier, Jaggars would have a better chance to repeat at 41.
    <!-- message --><!-- / message -->

All my predictions are as optimistic as the original post, I think this is what we can do, but this is why they wrestle the matches.

Triggas - Now has a year under his belt, that has proved to be very helpful in the past for many wrestlers, especially at 125. I think he will take top 8 for sure.

Livingston - Redshirted this year, as a Freshman beat Franklin Gomez and has a good chance at placing top 8

Humphrey - One match off AA this year, he shouldn't have any problem adjusting to the weight.

Jaggers - Defiantly good enough to win the weight, whether he does, we shall see.

Nemec - I expect the RS Freshman to beat out Johnstone for the spot and AA. Johnstone was only 2 wins away from AA this year.

Sponseller - He will come back focused and healthy. I expect him to place top 4 at the very least.

Finnicum - Not even sure who gets the 174 spot.

Pucillo - Already proved he's the number 1 guy here, he will be smarter, stronger, faster and better than he was this year.

Weakly - A very optimistic prediction here, but he is working out with some greats and he has to compete to keep his job. I think with one year under his belt he comes out firing next year.

Morrison - Heavyweights never go according to plan, I just hope he's on the winning end

I posted this on another thread, but it seems to belong here also.
    I know Gold already gave his optimistic prediction for Ohio State next season. I tried not to be too repetative while writing my own outlook. While I hope his are closer to being correct, I'll try and be a little more realistic, so I don't get VacAttacked.

125-Triggas. I'll say right now that he will be an AA next year. He's beaten the 4th place guy at Nationals twice this year(one of those times was a thrashing). Everything I see and hear about the kid tells me he has the mindset to be a truely great lightweight. Nikko AAs in his Soph year.

133-Hump or Livingston. I have to say that I hope Hump can make it back down for one more season, but I know it's a brutal cut for him. He could be an AA if he gets back here. What he does may depend on what happens at 149. From what I here about Livingston, he could do very well here also, maybe not AA, but I think he could make some noise at Nationals.

141-Jaggers or Hump. If the NATIONAL CHAMP stays at this weight, I'd put him at about 55% of repeating, that number drops significantly if he moves up a weight class. I know it's a tough cut but I hope he makes the sacrifice for his last year and goes down as one of the all time greats from tOSU. I think Hump could do well at this weight also, maybe better than at 133, about a 50% chance to AA if he's the guy.

149-Palmer, Jaggers or Johnstone. We all know there has been talk of Palmer redshirting so as to come back with a better shot a winning it all during his Sr year and to give him an extra year of being teammates with his brother. I'm not sure how I feel about that option. I've been hearing that at least a couple of the top 149s will be moving up to 157, that will be nice, but the number 1 guy, will still be there and though Palmer wrestles well with him, he seems unbeatable at this point. Jags would be much more comfortable at this weight, but it's not nearly as wide open as 141 was this year and looks to be next year. I would think that Palmer or Jags would be top 4 in the country at this weight next year. The situation could arise that Palmer redshirts and Jaggers still decides to to go back to 141, that would leave Johnstone, who is a small 157, to drop to 149 and be very good, he could be close to AA material at this weight.

157-Johnstone or Nemic. Johnstone finally started winning some close matches at the end of the season, and to me showed borberline AA potential. He looks tiny(against CP he looked 2 weight classes lighter) at 157, and still competes with the top guys in the country, I'd like to see him add 5 lbs of muscle and he could be an AA next season. Alot of people seem to have already penciled in Nemic at this spot, I don't know if they have inside info or what. I wish I could have seen them in the practice room towards the end of the year to have a better guess. If Nemic is good enough to take the spot away from Johnstone, I'd think he was possible AA ability right off the bat.

165-Sponseller. I would hate to be the first guy Spoon wrestles next year. He had a terrible Big 10 tourney, and failed to qualify for Nationals. From what I heard he was working out the next morning at 7 am after his last loss. If he gets a little stronger and more sharp technically, he will be an absolute monster next year. His tank is already second only to Metcalf and he should just grind the hell out of people next year with more strenth and technique. I'll realistically put him down as top 4 next season.

174-Magrum, Bergman or Finnecum. I really hope Magrum can make this weight, because otherwise this will once again be our weak link. It is hard to predict a true freshman but I would think a 3 time upper weight state champ from Ohio could at least be a National qualifier, and maybe more with several months of college training.

184-Pucillo. This just in, he is good. He actually suprised me at Nationals seeming to really tone down the aggressiveness, it worked and he got himself a championship, but I'd like him to get back to his punishing style. I'd also like to see him get a little stronger next season. The word is Varner might go up to 197, which is great, but Herbert, who took an olympic redshirt, is a freaking beast, and he'll be back at this weight class. I'd like to think Mikey can beat him, but most experts are going to tell you he has no chance. Todd will be back as well. I'm hoping Pucillo can repeat but I'm comfortable saying Top 3 for sure next season.

197-Weakley. A light really seemed to click for him at the Big 10s, He was a deffensive pin(while winning 5-0) away from being a national qualifier. His record stunk, but he was hanging with top guys by the end of the year. I hope he learned alot about being a college wrestler his freshman year and he comes out with a fire lit under his butt next season. He should be a qualifier and win a few matches, if he makes a big jump, he might be close to a low AA.

HWT-Morrison, Hiles, Campbell. I think Morrison takes the spot he held 2 seasons ago back. He impressed me for being a small HWT thrown in the fire that season. Hopefully he is up to about 250 and all the training with a national finalist and Olympic hopeful has paid off. He did beat returning AA Kirk Nail in the wrestle off 2 seasons ago, so he has potential. Objectively looking at it, I can't predict him as an AA, but I do think he'll qualify and make some noise at Nationals.

Team-Ohio State will narrow the gap with Iowa next year. The buckeyes should score about 100 pts at nationals with 5-6 AAs and maybe 2 finalists. The Buckeyes could flop and not reach my predictions but they also could explode and out wrestle them and take the team championship to Columbus.
    Last edited by JeepCreep; 03-27-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    I'm JeepCreep, and I approve this message.

I'll be back to this thread tomorrow with a reasonable prediction for next year's team. Mine won't have nearly as many AA's or national champs as Gold, but then he's got the Buckeyes performing better than ISU or the Hawkeyes did this year.

Since Ohio State is probably my second favorite team, I figure I'll step in this thread and do a little dance.

125: I'm assuming this is Triggas. I like Triggas' style a lot, I'm partial to guys who are good on the mat, and he definitely has it there. He's got a tough little style from the top with his high bar ride, and then from bottom he didn't give up a turn to Ness, and he actually did try stuff from the bottom and not just lay there. He's got some stuff to clean up from the feet, if he does that I think he could AA. But I'm not going to go so far as predict it right now, right now I think about the best call is around 2-2 at Nationals, maybe round of 12. Kid definitely has a shot though.

133: I'd guess this is Will Livingston or Humphrey. I've never really seen Livingston wrestle much, I've got it in my head that I've heard somewhere through the grapevine that he's got a great mixer. Humphrey is a tough all around wrestler, but again through the grapevine, isn't he cutting a lot of weight? Again, qualify, probably win a few matches, but I doubt we see AA here.

141: Defending national champion Jaggers, or Humphrey if he bumps up. If its Jaggers I think he definitely AA's here again. Maybe wins the title again, maybe not. This year he wrestled as well as anyone during the second half of the season, its a run that'll be tough to duplicate. I don't know if Humphrey would AA if its him, this is a tough weight. Top 4 minimum, National Title contender

149: Returning AA Palmer, or Jaggers if Palmer redshirts and he bumps. I think either guy would be a middle of the road AA here at the weight. I like Palmer a lot, and he's definitely come along, but I think he's still a little limited from the feet offensively against the best guys. Jaggers is tough obviously, but I don't know how well some of the funk would work. AA, somewhere between 4-8 would be my guess for either Palmer or Jaggers.

157: Assuming this is Nemec. I don't know much about him with how he wrestles, but from the results that I saw he had a pretty solid redshirt year this year. If one were to hazard a guess at the best guys coming out of redshirt next year he'd probably be one of them. Qualifier, and again much like Triggas a possible, but not probable AA.

165: While I'm not quite as high as Sponseller as some of the people who reside in his home state, I still like him a lot and think he definitely AA's next year. Great goer from the feet, he just tightens some things up next year he'll be right up in it. I don't know if it'll be enough for Marable or Lewnes, but other than them I think the sky is really the limit for this kid. AA, 3-8.

174: ???. I'm not going to pick a question mark to qualify, don't worry Vak.

184: The second returning national champion. Dude is a straight goer when he's not wrestling guys named Jake Varner. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the reintroduction of Herbert to the weight class next year. This is going to be a tough weight, but Pucillo is definitely up to it. Assuming Varner moves up, I think he's definitely a finalist, although I'd probably favor Herbert to win it.

197: Weakly has a ton of raw talent, and raw is the key word. It'll be interesting to see how much he progresses in the offseason. I think he qualifies, and probably wins a few matches but doesn't AA.

285: Morrison is a pretty tough guy if I remember correctly, and heavyweight will be just as if not more barren than it was this year. I don't know enough about him to necessarily predict an AA spot, but he can't be much worse than a lot of guys there. Qualifies, and again probably wins a few matches.

So looking at my "predictions". 4 definite AA's in my opinion if Palmer doesn't redshirt, Jaggers, Palmer, Sponseller, and Pucillo. Then two maybes in my opinion in Triggas, and Nemec.