Thread: Hawks add two

to the '07 class.

For those who don't want to click on the link. Remember these kids are getting almost no money if any at all.

Thursday, May 3, 2007
    Brands adds two more to 2007 recruiting class
    By Andy Hamilton
    Iowa City Press-Citizen

Tyler Halvorsen said he hoped for years to get the opportunity to wrestle at Iowa.

Now the senior from Cherokee said he can't wait for the time to come when he is officially a Hawkeye.

Halvorsen, a three-time state place-winner and 2005 champion, said Wednesday that verbally committed to continue his wrestling career at Iowa.

"It's always been one of my dreams to be a Hawkeye," Halvorsen said. "When I was a kid and Dan Gable was still coaching, that's where I wanted to be, I wanted to be coached by him. Now my dream is going to be able to come true, and with Tom Brands as the head coach, there's not much better."

Halvorsen said he likely will be a 133- or 141-pounder in college. He compiled a 166-16 record in high school, winning the Class 2A 103-pound title as a sophomore, placing third at 119 as a junior and finishing fourth this past season at 130.

Halvorsen was undefeated entering the state meet as a senior. He finished 44-2.

"I just feel disappointed in myself," Halvorsen said. "I just know that I didn't push myself hard enough. I can't wait until I get to college, get in the right atmosphere and get pushed as hard as I need to be to be the best. I know I'll be able to reach my potential in college in a room with Tom Brands, Dan Gable, Doug Schwab and all the other guys like Mike Zadick."

Iowa's incoming class will also include Belmond-Klemme state place-winner Ethan Sebert, whose uncle, Roger, was an NCAA finalist and two-time Big 8 champion at Iowa State and his father, Rodney, wrestled on Gable's first team at Iowa.

"Coach Gable was just phenomenal," said Rodney Sebert, who coached his son at Belmond-Klemme. "It was a tremendous amount of fun. I think my experiences talking to Ethan about that maybe made him consider that, too. He sees that there's going to be something special happening there and he wants to be a part of it."

Ethan Sebert, a 4.0 student who was contacted by Ivy League schools and also considered smaller programs in Iowa, placed sixth this season in Class 1A at 140 pounds. He finished with a 38-8 record and tied the Belmond-Klemme record for most falls in a season. His 28 pins matched a figure set by Jordan McLaughlin, an Iowa football player who joined the Hawkeye wrestling team midway through the season and pinned his first opponent at 197 pounds.

Rodney Sebert said his son was certified to wrestle at 130 this year and will likely be a 133-pounder in college.

"(Ethan) took an official visit and the kids on the team are a pretty good family," Rodney Sebert said. "They didn't have to be nice to that little kid, but they took the time to say, 'Hey, how are you?' They seemed genuinely interested that he was going to be on the squad with them."

Halvorsen and Sebert join a recruiting class that seems to be helping the Hawkeyes replenish their depth at the lightest and heaviest weights. Iowa signed Bettendorf heavyweight Jordan Johnson and North Scott 189-pounder Brodie Ambrose in the fall. The Hawkeyes have added New Hampton heavyweight Blake Rasing, Osage 189-pounder Vinnie Wagner and Waterloo Columbus 125-pounder J.J. Krutsinger this spring.

Halvorsen said he also considered Iowa State, Wartburg, Buena Vista and Augustana before selecting the Hawkeyes.

"They really didn't talk to me a whole lot until a few weeks ago," Halvorsen said. "Then we started talking and I went up on a visit and it seemed like a really good place. I liked it when I was up there and it was a great visit."

http://hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll...337/1053/HAWKS
    Last edited by Schlottke; 05-03-2007 at 11:57 AM.