Thread: "Hybrid Style" wrestling

Default "Hybrid Style" wrestling

I propose that the NCAA adopt the following style of wrestling, which combines the best traits of freestyle and folkstyle. (Yes, I made it up, and no I don't think the NCAA actually cares, but I wonder what you guys think of these hypothetical rules.)

Periods: 3 x 2 minute periods. !st period starts standing, 2nd period starts with one wrestler on top, 3rd period starts with other wrestler on top. No opting to start standing.

Scoring: Standard current freestyle scoring, with the following exceptions:

Any scramble where both wrestlers expose their backs without clear control shown by one wrestler is automatically scored 2-2 or 3-3. Hopefully this eliminates a lot of the controversy.

A pin must be held for 1 second to count, no roll-through pins.

Ground wrestling: top wrestlers gets 20 seconds on top. If he scores, clock resets.

Out of bounds: A wrestler on the out of bounds needs to make 100% effort to stay in bounds. ANY backing out of bounds on purpose = stalling. This goes for ground wrestling as well.

Stalling: Each of the following is considered stalling:
    a) stepping out of bounds for any reason other than being forced out
    b) taking more than 3 steps backward
    c) failing to make a legitimate attack from standing in a 30 second period
    d) blocking with the head or forearm.
    e) avoiding contact with opponent to stand up, shake out arms, etc a la Jordan Leen

Stalling = 1 pt to the opponent.

Overtime = unlimited OT. First athlete to score wins. In the case of a 2-2 or 3-3 scramble the match continues. No clinches, referee's decisions or tiebreakers.

Optional Greco Rule:
    In the "optional Greco" adaption wrestlers compete in Greco on the ground. Once a clear takedown is awarded, the referee informs the athletes that they can no longer use legs. This lasts until both athletes are back in a standing position.

World Champ

Default Re: "Hybrid Style" wrestling

No thanks.

That sounds too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I propose that the NCAA adopt the following style of wrestling, which combines the best traits of freestyle and folkstyle. (Yes, I made it up, and no I don't think the NCAA actually cares, but I wonder what you guys think of these hypothetical rules.)

Periods: 3 x 2 minute periods. !st period starts standing, 2nd period starts with one wrestler on top, 3rd period starts with other wrestler on top. No opting to start standing.

Scoring: Standard current freestyle scoring, with the following exceptions:

Any scramble where both wrestlers expose their backs without clear control shown by one wrestler is automatically scored 2-2 or 3-3. Hopefully this eliminates a lot of the controversy.

A pin must be held for 1 second to count, no roll-through pins.

Ground wrestling: top wrestlers gets 20 seconds on top. If he scores, clock resets.

Out of bounds: A wrestler on the out of bounds needs to make 100% effort to stay in bounds. ANY backing out of bounds on purpose = stalling. This goes for ground wrestling as well.

Stalling: Each of the following is considered stalling:
    a) stepping out of bounds for any reason other than being forced out
    b) taking more than 3 steps backward
    c) failing to make a legitimate attack from standing in a 30 second period
    d) blocking with the head or forearm.
    e) avoiding contact with opponent to stand up, shake out arms, etc a la Jordan Leen

Stalling = 1 pt to the opponent.

Overtime = unlimited OT. First athlete to score wins. In the case of a 2-2 or 3-3 scramble the match continues. No clinches, referee's decisions or tiebreakers.

Optional Greco Rule:
    In the "optional Greco" adaption wrestlers compete in Greco on the ground. Once a clear takedown is awarded, the referee informs the athletes that they can no longer use legs. This lasts until both athletes are back in a standing position.

I like the general concept. 20+ years ago there was a small push to make the folkstyle rules closer to freestyle, with the optional parr-terr start and abililty to choose nuetral for 2nd & 3rd periods. I wished that trend continued.

The two of the major aspects of your proposal that I like are instituting points for back exposure and more importantly out of bound rules. Playing the edge has gotten out of control in the top levels the NCAA. Every year after the finals I am disappionted in how much action occurs near the edge and is stopped as wrestlers use going out of bounds for defense. One thing I like about the pushout rule is that even heavyweight matches the wrestling is non-stop.

I also have never been a fan of the "funk" defense, perhaps because it was not seen when I wrestled 20+ years ago and also maybe because I know that I would not have had the ability to do it well and now I can't imagine trying to coach it.
    I also teaches instincts that have to be unlearned to wrestle Freestyle.

Needless to say, I am a big proponent of making the US better internationally.
    Being the best in the world should be our goal and we are handicapping our best with Folkstyle. I hate seeing our top guys getting creamed internationally (see Metcalf-Farniev or Askren against his Cuban opponent in the Olympics). I think we have the 2nd best wrestling in the world (them's Ruskies are pretty good), but we can't show it, because we learn to wrestle a different style.

locking hands, or no?

No control ? 0 points
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I say give them each 9 points, Americans love high scoring...
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

ODH,

I was talking to Matt Gentry at the Canadian Championships a while back and he mentioned that the "funk" defense is really hurting American wrestling, because wrestlers don't practice the basics of good hips and hands defense (sprawling, etc) as much as they should. As soneone who's done pretty well in both styles, Gentry would know, I guess.

The out-of bounds crap that went on in the NCAA matches I saw on youtube was absolutely ridiculous. The NCAA needs to clean this up even if they won't adopt my rules

I understand that folkstyle values "control" over back exposure (though I would argue that exposing someone's back then they are trying to stop you is control) but as a lifelong freestyler it drives me crazy to watch guys roll onto their own backs, almost pinned, but because they're holding onto a leg or something it's no points. That and getting no points for throwing someone to their back just because they roll through afterwards.
    example of what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVHTdC-Gs8