Thread: 1 reason college wrestling doesn't get support

Default 1 reason college wrestling doesn't get support

Pitt will host Missouri this Wednesday and I won't be there.

Why?

Because my high school team has a match at the same time.

There will be about 40 local high school matches taking place at the same time as Pitt vs. Missouri.

That amounts to hundreds of fans who would like to attend, but won't be able.

I bet Pitt's field house will be empty.

Poor planning.

No wonder our homegrown talent goes out of state.

Default Re: 1 reason college wrestling doesn't get support

thanks for reminding me, i forgot that i had gavin for pitt and marable for missouri wrestling on wednesday for my fanstasy team...nice...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Olympic Champ

college wrestling doesn't get support because there is too much "he rode him out for 2 minutes" stuff.

Both points are good, but I think Big's has a bigger impact. Every year potentially about half a million parents are going to watch their kids wrestle in high school. Throw in grandparents, classmates, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters and you have an audience of about a million that is learning about wrestling. But - the vast majority of them are not attending to watch the sport - they're attending to watch their kids. If their kid played the clarinet they would be at the band concert.

However, these parents are a prime market to be cultivated. They already have a basic knowledge of the rules and scoring and have experienced the excitement of a last second takedown that wins the match and the meet.

So let's pretend that the local college ar university actually makes an effort to get these semi-knowledgeable fans into the seats (which is - in most cases - a fantasy in itself) and those potential new college fans encounter the kind of wrestling Big is describing: parallel riding, endless hand fighting, backing to the edge, etc.. Since they have no family ties to any of the competitors they get bored pretty easily - and they never come back.

I am sure that Pitt will still have a pretty good crowd at this match. Unfortuantely when the college is deciding their schedule they cannot plan around the local high schools. They need to worry about planning around finals this time of year.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

NO. 20 PANTHERS TO HOST NATIONALLY RANKED MISSOURI ON WEDNESDAY

Pitt opens home schedule, hosts Toys for Tots Holiday Hoopla

PITTSBURGH —The No. 20 ranked Pitt wrestling team will look to remain undefeated in dual competition this season as they welcome the No. 7 ranked Missouri Tigers (3-0) to Fitzgerald Field House Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Panthers are 5-0 in dual matches this year and are coming off a solid set of performances at last weekend’s Ohio Duals.

The Panthers currently have three wrestlers ranked in the nation’s top 20 in their respective weight classes. Last year’s national runner up and All-American Keith Gavin ( Factoryville , Pa. /Lackawanna Trail), the nation’s top ranked wrestler at 174 pounds, headlines that list. The fifth-year senior is 11-0 on the season; just two wins shy of 100 for his career. He has posted five falls in his 11 victories, giving him 21 for his career and placing him in a tie for ninth on Pitt’s all-time list with Perry Miller and Mike Moore.

Fellow All-American Matt Kocher (State College, Pa./State College) also finds himself in the top 10; as he was ranked sixth at 157-pounds in the Dec. 11 USA Today/NWCA/Intermat Coaches poll. The program’s all-time leader in tournament victories at the start of the season with 93, Kocher has extended that total to 97 early in the season. With his seven total victories this year, he currently stands tied with Rob Loper for second on Pitt’s all-time list at 131 career wins.

Heavyweight Zach Sheaffer (Carlisle, Pa./Cumberland Valley) rounds out the trio of Panthers who have earned national acclaim, as he was ranked 15th in last week’s NWCA poll. He leads the team in victories with 18 and played a momentous role in Pitt’s dramatic conference win at Bloomsburg earlier in the season. With the Panthers trailing the Huskies heading into the match’s final bout, Sheaffer battled then-No. 6 Mike Spaid to a draw in regulation and defeated the All-American in overtime by a count of 2-1, setting the final score at 18-16.

The Panthers will also be hosting the Toys for Tots Holiday Hoopla on Wednesday. Anyone who donates a new, unwrapped toy at the door will receive free admission to the contest. There will also be numerous other holiday activities for everyone in attendance. The event will be taped and broadcast on the EWL conference’s website, www.ewlwrestling.com.

------------------

Pitt matches are usually poorly attended to begin with.

With the student body home on break and high school teams in action, I'm betting they get a few hundred at best.

We'll have to watch the www.ewlwrestling.com broadcast to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    Both points are good, but I think Big's has a bigger impact. Every year potentially about half a million parents are going to watch their kids wrestle in high school. Throw in grandparents, classmates, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters and you have an audience of about a million that is learning about wrestling. But - the vast majority of them are not attending to watch the sport - they're attending to watch their kids. If their kid played the clarinet they would be at the band concert.

However, these parents are a prime market to be cultivated. They already have a basic knowledge of the rules and scoring and have experienced the excitement of a last second takedown that wins the match and the meet.

So let's pretend that the local college ar university actually makes an effort to get these semi-knowledgeable fans into the seats (which is - in most cases - a fantasy in itself) and those potential new college fans encounter the kind of wrestling Big is describing: parallel riding, endless hand fighting, backing to the edge, etc.. Since they have no family ties to any of the competitors they get bored pretty easily - and they never come back.
    I think you nailed it. I watched the Minnesota (#1) -vs- (#2) Iowa State earlier this month. I don't recall seeing any back points, nor any reversals and not a pin to be found. One turn around I did appreciate was the Heavyweights had some action. Boring! I'd much rather watch the CLASH or a H.S. State Tournament. As talented as they are, it's as hard to sit through as watching a high school J.V. match when you don't know any of the competitors.

But those college swim meets really pack 'em in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    But those college swim meets really pack 'em in.
    Is that you, coach?