Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota wrestling fans, this must really be blowing your mind away

Default Re: Minnesota fans, this must really be blowing your mind away

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I mean the emergence of Iowa, Iowa State and Penn State this year as challengers to Minnesota supremacy must have been totally unforseen to your ego. Am I right?
    I think you are forgetting about a good several others...Central Michigan, Michigan, Nebraska (should they get around to fielding a full lineup come NCAA-time), Northwestern just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I have been shocked by Minny's "fall" from the top. I though with only losing one wrestler from last year they would run over everyone this year. They won NCAA's last year even though they basically had a horrible tournament. ISU wrestled a great tournament to come in 2nd and then lost three seniors. I did not think they would be close to Minny.

The big surprises for me are that Reiter has not fully recovered and CP seems to have regressed.

BTW, good topic Big.
    I guess I would be concerned if I thought all of our horses were wrestling at their best and we still weren't winning...that being said, Reiter, Saf/C.P. and Glasser are sure to take steps forward this year...I just can't figure out Dretsch...he seems to be possessed by a really weird wrestler this year and has this style that is almost unbearable to watch...you know the kind...the kid who joined your wrestling team as a sophomore and had never wrestled before but had the build for it and won against average competition...he has no technique and no plan going into a match...that being said...i think he could win or lose against any wrestlers in the Top 15 at any given time...

I WILL be surprised if I don't see some of these guys pick their game up a little bit as the season goes on...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Berhow I thought made a nice little statement after he was interviewed after the Nebraska match about the dual with Iowa State...he said that he congratulated Iowa State on the win and that they have a great team...he then threw it out there that it was obvious what Iowa State was doing in the match and that the next time out, given a chance, Minnesota would be sure to wrestle their match and that he believes that the results would be different...

I liked the quote because it was complimentary of the ISU program while also insightful about the fact that Minnesota realized after it was over that they had allowed ISU to wrestle their match...

Should that match be wreslted tomorrow I truly believe that the Reiter/Fanthorpe match would go the other way.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Penn State, Iowa, ISU, Okie State AND CMU all are great teams although I think that Penn State may have exposed Okie State a little bit. The great thing about wrestling are the match-ups and realizing that some teams really do and DON'T match up well with other teams.

I think ISU, CMU, Nebraska AND Iowa match up well against Minny in a dual meet.

Either way it is not the end of the season just yet. A lot can happen between now and March. The Gophers could still end up on top, or maybe we will see someone else there.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Penn State, Iowa, ISU, Okie State AND CMU all are great teams although I think that Penn State may have exposed Okie State a little bit. The great thing about wrestling are the match-ups and realizing that some teams really do and DON'T match up well with other teams.

I think ISU, CMU, Nebraska AND Iowa match up well against Minny in a dual meet.
    I dont know if penn state "exposed" anything, I think they were just the better team of two amazing teams that night.

I agree, every match the favored guy won, Penn State won because Jenkins and Davis got falls. Those two get held to say majors, Oklahoma State wins the dual 19-17.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Back to the original topic, (as a rodent booster) I'm optimistic:
    Ness is an animal
    Mack shows signs of returning to form
    Manny is looking good (Mendes notwithstanding)
    DS will be just fine
    CP - could be the champ, could fail to AA.
    Glasser - tough kid, just a freshman, he's not a problem
    Gabe - goofy as always, he'll score point in St. Loius
    Roger - high AA
    197 - gaping hole
    Berhow - is aggressive. depending on where he's seeded, could score some points in St. Louis

I see points coming from 9 of the 10, and realistically 6 AAs.

World Champ

Hey, the Gophers are still tough. The Clones are tough. The Hawkeyes are tougher than folks expected. The Cowboys are tough. Penn State is really tough. No one of these teams has yet emerged at the top, and even that is subject to change at Nationals. The Minnesnootyans still have the greatest number of very highly-ranked wrestlers with folks like Ness, Kish, and and the Schlatter brothers. It's far too early for Big to taunt them, but I guess he will anyway.