Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gophers ranked 4th?

Default Gophers ranked 4th?

USA Today/InterMat/NWCA Division I Coaches Poll Has the Gophers ranked 4th now...Anyone agree with that?

World Champ

Default Re: Gophers ranked 4th?

These early season rankings don't mean very much. By the time National Duals are finished we'll know a lot more.

I was surprised, but grapplefan is right. It doesn't meant much.

Biggest buzz kill for me is cp schlatter at #10 when was the last time he was ranked that low? Not exactly a dynamite start.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    Biggest buzz kill for me is cp schlatter at #10 when was the last time he was ranked that low? Not exactly a dynamite start.
    I think based on the results of his last few meets he's lucky to be ranked that high. We all know he has the talent to be top 3 but he lets way to many crappy wrestlers hang close enough that one mistake costs him the win. Hard to wrestle that way unless you're his brother.

As for the Gopher team they haven't exactly been setting the world on fire. We all know come March they will be there but last March they underperformed in a big way with a few exceptions. I think it's still early and when it matters I hope they turn it on.

#10 is about right...his match saturday night was a perfect indicator of the issues that C.P. has always had...he is pretty one dimensional which keeps him in every match when it comes to wrestlers ranked ahead of him...he's also one dimensional which lets most of the wrestlers ranked below him stay in every match...

i am going to cut the gophers a little bit of slack...a thursday match with nebraska then they fly out to california on friday and wrestle two late matches...those matches were the equivalent of 9:00 p.m. and 11 p.m. starts...

i saw some steps forward by reiter and enough out of berhow to feel good about those weights again...every match that glasser gets against top quality opponents just makes him that much better...i am okay with #4 today as long as we don't end up there in march...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    #10 is about right...his match saturday night was a perfect indicator of the issues that C.P. has always had...he is pretty one dimensional which keeps him in every match when it comes to wrestlers ranked ahead of him...he's also one dimensional which lets most of the wrestlers ranked below him stay in every match...

i am going to cut the gophers a little bit of slack...a thursday match with nebraska then they fly out to california on friday and wrestle two late matches...those matches were the equivalent of 9:00 p.m. and 11 p.m. starts...

i saw some steps forward by reiter and enough out of berhow to feel good about those weights again...every match that glasser gets against top quality opponents just makes him that much better...i am okay with #4 today as long as we don't end up there in march...
    I agree completely. Thursday and then the late matches certainly didn't help. We can just get our crappy wrestling out of the way early so we peak at the right time this year...although even not peaking last year we did ok

Yep.

I see improvements in individuals since ISU and not that it has translated to better dual results but I see now that there are five to eight teams in this hunt...don't look past CMU either as they are tough as hell.

Right now, all the issues the Gophers have can certainly be fixed.

125 Ness-looking great, no issues here.
    133 Reiter-looks like his lungs are coming back, he looks ready to move back up the rankings.
    141 Manny-just got cement mixed, he will come back with focus
    149 Dustin-enough said.
    157 C.P.-looking pretty average, now has Safratowich pushing him @ 157
    165 Glasser-looks to be a diamond in the rough, aggressive style, improving.
    174 Dretsch-Jeklly or Hyde, his last two matches has looked "spastic"???
    184 Kish-got the Varner matches out of the way, will be fine til NCAA's.
    197 Bronson-"the leaner", Eidensheink, please hurry back. This weight in the wrestling room must look like monkey's humping when they wrestle off.
    Hwt Berhow-definitely improving, like the aggressiveness.

"We are who we thought we were"

197 and Heavy have been exposed as we knew they would, we just need to shore up 157 and 165 and we will make some noise at National Duals.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

The only real mystery in the Gopher's lineup has been CP. I am disppointed because I was picking for a break through year, which for him means a top three finish in March.

I am wondering how much weight he is cutting. Maybe this is affecting him.