Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Michigan's team at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; For a couple of years now, Michigan has had some good recruiting classes and projected ...
    Olympic Champ

Default Michigan's team

For a couple of years now, Michigan has had some good recruiting classes and projected to be eventually in the title mix. This past year they had 2 key guys out for the season--Dutton and their 174 pounder (can't remember his name). I've never seen a UM fan on this board (even when it was much more active), but does anyone have an idea of what UM's team will be like this coming season? Are they poised to try to bread into the top 5 at least? I'm guessing that Dutton is out of the picture, unless he could get a 6th season grant, which I doubt. I believe they lose only Huntley at 197. Anyone know how their line-up looks for this coming year?

Quinn--I don't expect you to know much about that other team up north!

Default Re: Michigan's team

I'm not really a Michigan fan, but I will throw this line up out there for any thoughts.

125 Youtsey
    133 Bruno
    141 Fisher? (rsFr)
    149 Pantaleo
    157 Murphy
    165 Massa or Sutton
    174 ?
    184 Abounader
    197 ?
    hwt Coon

Tom, was it Davonte Mahomes, maybe? He went 13-3 before injury ended his season. Some decent sounding wins...

Freshman (2014-15)... Redshirted season ... Earned medical redshirt after suffering a season-ending injury at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (Dec. 5-6) ... Claimed sixth place at the CKLV with a 5-3 record ... Defeated North Dakota State's #16 Kurtis Julson, 7-5 SV, and NC State's #17 Pete Renda, 7-4, at CKLV ... Dropped overtime matches vs. Minnesota's #1 Logan Storley (3-1 SV) and Iowa State's #6 Tanner Weatherman (7-5 SV) ... Posted a 2-0 record at the EMU Duals (Nov. 15), including a 5-3 decision against Ohio's #9 Cody Walters in varsity debut ... Captured the 174-pound freshman/sophomore title at the Michigan State Open (Nov. 2) with a 5-0 record ... Earned a 16-5 major decision over Lindsey Wilson's Rhodes Bell in collegiate debut.

Olympic Champ

Thanks BBL. Yes, I was thinking of Mahomes. Since I started this thread I saw something that indicated that Huntley might be granted a 6th year. If so, that would fill in the 197 question. It would seem that either Mahomes or T Massa would have the 174-pound spot. In terms of returning AA's they have:

125--#6 Youtsey
    133--#8 Bruno
    157--#7 Murphy
    197--#8 Huntley (if he gets a 6th year)
    Hwt--#2 Coon

Plus NCAA seeds:
    149--#6 Pantaleo
    184--#8 Abounader

A pretty solid team--especially for duals. They're going to need to get some more guys like Coon that can go deep at the NCAA's to get into top 3-4.

He seemed to be off to a blazing start to a freshman season especially as an upper weight with wins over #6, 16 & 17.
    Is Massa more of a 165 or a 174?

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    He seemed to be off to a blazing start to a freshman season especially as an upper weight with wins over #6, 16 & 17.
    Is Massa more of a 165 or a 174?
    I assume you mean Taylor Massa, as opposed to Logan Massa who is an incoming FR. I was puzzled by T Massa's bump to 174 mid-season after Mahomes go hurt. I can only assume he felt that it was a better weight for him. Massa did get hurt during the season and that may have played into bumping up. It seemed to me that Massa did better at 165. If he does want to move up to 174, then what happens if Mahomes is back to health?

You're right Tom, I know almost nothing about them. I do know that Coon was a disappointment to a lot of people. So that's good. Other than that, I am clueless. We don't don't speak about them in my part of town.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    You're right Tom, I know almost nothing about them. I do know that Coon was a disappointment to a lot of people. So that's good. Other than that, I am clueless. We don't don't speak about them in my part of town.
    I didn't think you followed them too closely. And you're right, Coon only being NCAA runner-up (by 1 point) was a bummer.

Speaking of Hwt--who do you think it will for tOSU this year--Tavanello or Haines?

I hope it is Haines, kind of out of curiosity. My big concern for him coming out of HS was that he was so physically dominant over the HS guys (except for one, I think) that he might not seem as good in college. I don't recall him having fantastic technique. So I'm really interested to see how he progresses in college. I could see him stagnating or turning into an even better version of Tony Nelson.

And Tom, yes. I was talking about Massa Senior specifically because of his weight change. I'm not even thinking about Massa Junior yet. The bump didn't seem highly successful - the close loss to Wilps kind of raised some eyebrows, but then not much to speak of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

user tags

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!