Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Should Be #1 Team In College Wrestling????

Default Re: Who Should Be #1 Team In College Wrestling????

I have never personally watched Fuentes, however I have seen Mueller before (including yesterday) and I have to say that Dustin SHOULD have majored him, however Iowa State yesterday did what they had to, and they worked the edge of the mat to perfection.

I am not quite old and fat yet, but I am getting there.

Dustin is going to have to realize that in order to get his majors and techs he is going to absolutely have to attack from beginning to end and have the referees the force his opponents to wrestle...

look at Caldwell, he made Churella wrestle and he put Metcalf in a position to pin him...my original theory still holds true with Dustin that I think facing his brother so often has made his style become much more conservative...he needs to trust his stuff and go after opponents...what the hell is the risk in doing it now when his team needs him...when he gets to Big Tens and National Tournament, he can wrestle for himself, in duals he needs to wrestle for his team...that goes for the rest of them as well...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

See, the thing is, if Dustin were to do like that against someone like Cladwell (I have never watched him in person, only a couple videos), he could very well get pinned. I agree that Dustin needs to wrestle like he did as a freshman and open up a bit, but he doesn't need to get wreckless.

Quote Originally Posted by OGGoldy View Post
    See, the thing is, if Dustin were to do like that against someone like Cladwell (I have never watched him in person, only a couple videos), he could very well get pinned. I agree that Dustin needs to wrestle like he did as a freshman and open up a bit, but he doesn't need to get wreckless.
    I didn't say that against a Top 10 opponent, he needs to go out and get the victory but he and his brother need to go out looking for bonus points when they are against weaker opponenets...If I was Ness and Konrad last year I would have been pissed...they are going out and getting 12 points for their team and C.P. and Dustin are going out and getting 6...

One match yesterday with bonus points yesterday and that was Ness.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Well, Dustin's style really isn't to pin everyone. He does too much of the freestyle stuff (I dislike freestyle wrestling) to be a good pinner. CP has the build to to be a pinner, but that isn't part of his game. I see what you are saying about CP, he seems to go out and try to win 5-2. I see dustin going for bonus points more often, but he doesn't open up his game as much as he could against lesser wrestlers, I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by OGGoldy View Post
    Well, Dustin's style really isn't to pin everyone. He does too much of the freestyle stuff (I dislike freestyle wrestling) to be a good pinner. CP has the build to to be a pinner, but that isn't part of his game. I see what you are saying about CP, he seems to go out and try to win 5-2. I see dustin going for bonus points more often, but he doesn't open up his game as much as he could against lesser wrestlers, I agree with that.
    You can teach any wrestler how to become a bit more of a pinner...that's coaching...I am not saying that Dustin needs to become Askren but he needs a move off of a takedown and more than just his tilts...you never see him get an armbar or running half going...I have yet to ever see him out in front of a wrestlers head on top working a pinning move...I am not saying that he has to become this wrestler but it wouldn't hurt to see him expand his repetoire a little in college...what he has certainly can't be argued but when he is against a far inferior opponent, he needs to go for more. Why would you WANT to work seven minutes in every match at a tournament if you didn't have to?

I've watched him get techs under 5 minutes (in the big ten no less), so that isn't working 7 minutes if he doesn't need to.

My thoughts on a variety of topics...

Mueller isn't a push over, he spent major time last year in the top 10 at 141, while I'd have liked to see Dustin major him I'm certainly not tolling the funeral bells that he didn't.

He got three takedowns all off his own offense, and by accounts avoided deep shots on his legs from a pretty tough opponent. I'll have to see the match to truly clarify, but as of right now I'm definitely pleased with Dustin's performance yesterday.

In terms of him against Fuentes, I agree with those that have said, he should major, and I personally think he will. Dustin has always wrestled well against OK State guys through out his career, I don't see that stopping.

Caldwell as the new cause celebre for everyone to knock off Dustin. I've only seen Caldwell once, in the finals from Vegas against JPO thats posted on Flo.

His biggest strength there was the way he dictated the pace of the match. Dustin dictates match pace better than perhaps anyone in college, and he's great in scoring off transitions which is how JPO got his TD. Anything can happen, but I'm pretty confident that Dustin takes Caldwell. Its been over a year since Dustin has had a quality guy really get after him and try and win the match. I'd imagine wrestling guys like Caldwell and Metcalf will be welcome changes for him.

I really don't get where Dustin needs to wrestle like he did as a freshman comes from at least in relation to this year's results. So far this year he's destroyed 7 guys that he outclassed, just missed majoring a tough opponent in Mueller, and had the one pointer with Churella at the All Star match.

I didn't see as many of Dustin's matches his freshman year, as I have the last two, but in his big wins other than his matches against Espo and Tann (and even in the Tann matches) he didn't win those matches by taking a million shots. He won by taking his shots or ducks when they were there, countering the other guy's attempts the second they got out of position, and when he got on top turning hell out of them with his tilts.

If you want to look at the real reason for his "decline" once again in just my opinion its that the good guys have gotten better at defending his tilts.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    My thoughts on a variety of topics...

Mueller isn't a push over, he spent major time last year in the top 10 at 141, while I'd have liked to see Dustin major him I'm certainly not tolling the funeral bells that he didn't.

He got three takedowns all off his own offense, and by accounts avoided deep shots on his legs from a pretty tough opponent. I'll have to see the match to truly clarify, but as of right now I'm definitely pleased with Dustin's performance yesterday.

In terms of him against Fuentes, I agree with those that have said, he should major, and I personally think he will. Dustin has always wrestled well against OK State guys through out his career, I don't see that stopping.

Caldwell as the new cause celebre for everyone to knock off Dustin. I've only seen Caldwell once, in the finals from Vegas against JPO thats posted on Flo.

His biggest strength there was the way he dictated the pace of the match. Dustin dictates match pace better than perhaps anyone in college, and he's great in scoring off transitions which is how JPO got his TD. Anything can happen, but I'm pretty confident that Dustin takes Caldwell. Its been over a year since Dustin has had a quality guy really get after him and try and win the match. I'd imagine wrestling guys like Caldwell and Metcalf will be welcome changes for him.

I really don't get where Dustin needs to wrestle like he did as a freshman comes from at least in relation to this year's results. So far this year he's destroyed 7 guys that he outclassed, just missed majoring a tough opponent in Mueller, and had the one pointer with Churella at the All Star match.

I didn't see as many of Dustin's matches his freshman year, as I have the last two, but in his big wins other than his matches against Espo and Tann (and even in the Tann matches) he didn't win those matches by taking a million shots. He won by taking his shots or ducks when they were there, countering the other guy's attempts the second they got out of position, and when he got on top turning hell out of them with his tilts.

If you want to look at the real reason for his "decline" once again in just my opinion its that the good guys have gotten better at defending his tilts.
    I am sure a certian wrestler from Edinboro would disagree that Dustin hasn't wrestled anyone within the last year.