Thread: Penn State Open: Results and Discussion

Default Penn State Open: Results and Discussion

Last edited by Schlottke; 12-02-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: Penn State Open: Results and Discussion

Garrett Scott wins 141, beating his teammate #2 Strayer (who also goes down to Bencivenga) in the semi's, and Kyler in the finals. Be really interesting to see how Sunderland handles this situation.

Erwin wins over Mark Friend, maybe this gives him a closer look to lock down that 174 spot.

165 looks like a zoo, Quentin Wright wins it, and Rella finishes all the way down in 6th
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Garrett Scott wins 141, beating his teammate #2 Strayer (who also goes down to Bencivenga) in the semi's, and Kyler in the finals. Be really interesting to see how Sunderland handles this situation.
    Jake forfeited in the consolation final match. I overheard a few people saying that Jake re-injured his neck a little during his 2nd match of the day. The match between he and Garrett was a good one- everyone in Rec Hall was watching- including refs on other mats! Will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

Olympic Champ

Rutgers placed only one wrestler top three I think. Boooooo.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Stupid Bencivenga shoulda been at vegas
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

any guess what Penn States line up will be when they wrestle Cornell? predictions?

Everyone is talking about Scott and Strayer....but to me, the most exciting story is Kyler & Scott. Matt and Garrett grew up together here in Central PA - so having two local boys take it to OT in the finals is amazing.

Matt Kyler was Clearfield's last state champ at 103 in 2005 and has done an terrific job after having a major growth spurt to 141 after high school. Viewed one way, Matt seems to be the polar opposite of Garrett - always a superb student, hard worker, never a slacker, never in trouble.

Garrett spent a lot of time with Clearfield wrestlers during Jr Hi/HS years - often in town for tournaments and hanging around in the off-season. It was a major disappointment when he didn't get to wrestle at states his Sr. year but it was not a complete surprise as he was viewed even then as living somewhat on the edge. The following year was not any better. But it seems he is getting his act together now - I hope so for wrestling fan's sake as he is a phenomenal wrestling talent.

141 is loaded with talent, how it will all play out is anyone's guess.

Here's an article from the CDT published today about Sunderland's dilemma -

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/story/278107.html