Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Iowa, what happened to you? at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds of the Hawks, nor am I ...
    Blog Entries

Default Iowa, what happened to you?

I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds of the Hawks, nor am I taking anything away from the Bucks but what happened to the team formerly known as Iowa? Here's what I'm getting at: I remember Iowa as a team that was in your face and always attacking, give up a takedown in the firs? Who gives a rip, they're going to score 3 or four more anyway. This year they've lost a lot of close ones and their studs (Evans, Gilman, Telford) don't do anything to make the other guy make a mistake, there's no pressure anymore.

Am I remembering Iowa wrong or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Default Re: Iowa, what happened to you?

I really think that it isn't Iowa that has changed. The other teams seem to have the mindset to take it to them instead. I think the quality of coaching and competition has turned the tide a bit. No one seems to be timid anymore. I think that's what makes Iowa not "seem" as aggressive.

But, I'm no expert so I could just be lying to myself.

I don't mean this an an insult, but their "3 studs" just aren't that good. There's no McD (healthy McD, that is) or Metcalf, or Perry. - those guys were real studs. This year's group is good, but just not that good.

16 different schools have finalists. I think that's a great thing for college wrestling.

Blog Entries

I want to clarify that I did not in any way mean that I'm not thrilled to see a new team win the title with a bunch of schools represented. I'm pumped to see all the upsets this year, in my opinion it was the best first two days of a tournament I've seen. My only wish is that somehow the team title would come down to some combination of Iowa and Ohio State finals matches.

As to Iowa I think that you're right, their strength this year was in having a team that all had a shot of AAing, instead of 3 or 4 guys that were supposed to win titles. That being said my point remains, their guys are holding things close shortening matches hoping to be able to get an OT ride out or takedown. Look back at the Evans vs. Brown semi match. Evans chose neutral, instead of down because he liked his chances on his feet yet he spent most of the round not really doing much in the way of attacking. Brown is a phenomenal wrestler and I'm not saying that Evans is better but you'd think that if you are going to choose neutral that he'd be on the attack for 2 minutes.
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Brown is a phenomenal wrestler and I'm not saying that Evans is better but you'd think that if you are going to choose neutral that he'd be on the attack for 2 minutes.
    Brown is good and has improved very nicely over the last 3 years or so. But you're absolutely right, Evans needed to light things up for the last two minutes and he simply didn't. I respect the kid, but he just doesn't have that kind of offense..

Blog Entries

That's exactly my point. The Iowa wrestlers don't seem to be taking the risks that I'm used to seeing Iowa guys take. Maybe it's a strategy with this group: keep things close, shorten the match, wait for the other guy to give you something or make a mistake. It'll be interesting to see if this changes in the next few seasons.

Blog Entries

Here's a short article saying just what I was trying to say:

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports...style-20150321

The current group of seniors (Kelly, Moore, Evans, Dzewia, and Telford) showed no lack of urgency. No willingness to "let the fur fly". Telford was not as bad as some of the others.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Olympic Champ

I'm copying below something that was posted on another board. I haven't verified these myself, but I suspect it's pretty accurate. If so, Iowa just isn't getting as many of the top level recruits as they used to. Were Clark or Sorenson top 20 recruits? They're obviously getting some VERY good wrestlers, but not as many as some other schools.

Top 20 recruits on next years rosters:

PSU:

2015 #5 Vincenzo Joseph Pittsburgh PA
    2014 #4 Jason Nolf Rural Valley PA
    #5 Nick Nevills Clovis CA
    #7 Bo Nickal Allen TX
    2013 #3 Zain Retherford Benton PA
    2012 #3 Jimmy Gulibon Derry PA
    2011 #1 Morgan McIntosh Santa Ana CA
    #3. Nico Megaludis Murrysville PA
    tOSU:
    2015 #3 Myles Martin Penn's Grove NJ
    # 8 Ke-Shawn Hayes Kansas City MO
    2014 #1 Kyle Snyder Woodbine MD
    # 6 Micah Jordan St. Paris OH
    #9 Thomas Haines Solanco PA
    2013 #1 Bo Jordan St. Paris OH
    #10 Nathan Tomasello Parma OH
    2011 #7. Hunter Stieber Monroeville OH
    #12 Kenny Courts Harrisburg PA
    OSU:2015 #4 Nick Piccinnini East Seatuket NY
    #13 Joseph Smith Stillwater OK

2014 #2 Chance Marsteller Fawn Grove PA
    #13 Chandler Rogers Stillwater OK
    #16 Ryan Blees Bismarck ND
    2013 #13 Dean Heil Strongsville OH
    2012 #4 Jordan Rogers Mead WA
    #14 Kyle Crutchmer Tulsa OK
    2011 #8 Austin Ormsbee Andover NJ
    #15 Alex Dieringer Pt. Washington WI
    Iowa:
    2015 #10. Michael Kemerer Murrysville PA 2014 #14 Sam Stoll Mantorville MN
    2012 #16 Thomas Gilman Council Bluffs IA
    # 20 Sam Brooks Oak Park IL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

user tags

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!