Thread: CSTV: Is this a harbinger of bad things to come for wrestling?

Default CSTV: Is this a harbinger of bad things to come for wrestling?

Came across a post on the website Awful Announcing denouncing CSTV for not doing a live broadcast from the sold-out Boston U vs. Cornell hockey game. The problem is that CSTV's offices are about a mile from Madison Square Garden where the game took place. The announcers called the game off of monitors while still in the CSTV office.

Was this just a cost savings move? As mentioned in the post, CBS (who bought CSTV two years ago) won't cover the lost advertising that CSTV isn't bringing in.

How will this affect wrestlings coverage? This is considered a fringe sport by them anyhow....what is stopping them from cutting costs at the expense of collegiate wrestling? I hope this isn't the case.

Default Re: CSTV: Is this a harbinger of bad things to come for wrestling?

Actually, a lot of the taped broadcasts already happen this way. Midlands are, though they usually have a matside reporter who interviews the wrestlers as they come off the mat. Since the only live broadcast we usually see is NCAA finals, I don't think it will really change anything.

I take some encouragement from the J Robinson profile posted elsewhere on this forum that CSTV is supposedly going to have a regularly-scheduled college wrestling show. From the article written by Andy Hamilton for ESPN.com (who normally covers the Hawkeyes for the Iowa City paper):

Robinson's ideas and influence have helped the sport land a deal with CSTV, which will launch the first regular national cable wrestling highlight show in January.

I haven't seen a recent CSTV wrestling broadcast, but considering what we've endured in terms of announcers over the years (I'm not naming names, but think of the guy at the NCAA broadcasts that draws the ire of so many wrestling fans), what you've described doesn't sound like "a sign of bad things to come" IMHO.

Mark
    Mark

There are people that belive that the last thing CBS needed was a cable network and another base of operations in Manhattan. What's of great interest, however, is the fact that CSTV distributes a significant number of college web sites.

Given the fact that the ESPN web sites are very profitable, I'm sure that CBS would love to grow all of their web sites as well. They have a great base of sites to expand upon.

Growing a sports network requires an incredibly amount of cash and even more patience (See ESPN 1978-1984). The question is, how much patience does CBS have in a network that has few marque sports properties at this point. I'm sure the mandate is to be as smart as possible with their money.