Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OW and Gorarrian

Default OW and Gorarrian

Who won these two awards? I was watching at the bar and they had the sound on a basketball game. I'm assuming Taylor won OW and maybe Ness the Gorrarian?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Default Re: OW and Gorarrian

From PSU release last night:
    Taylor was named the 2014 NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Wrestler and won the NCAA's Most Dominant Wrestler Award.

I couldn't find additional confirmation - but I think that is both.

Ness did have 3 pins, but JT Felix put his 3 away in the 1st periods and won the Gorrarian.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Because there is no set definition of what qualifies for an OW for a tournament, I would have liked to seen the award given to someone else as Taylor's is surely (and deservedly) going to win the Hodge.
    Myself and the two other guys I was with, all thought it would have been great to give OW to the NC State heavy. His performance in the finals was truly inspiring. We were all dreading seeing Nelson win another title relying only on his riding skills.
    Two TDs in the third period against him was awesome.

I seem to be the only one who thinks that Nelson caught the dreaded Andrew Alton Syndrome. Nelson has never gassed in his entire career despite many multiple ot matches. Yet he was completely done by the 2nd period. I give Gwiz credit for being an active hvy but not for gassing Nelson. I think the combo of the pressure and anxiety of winning his 3rd title plus having the team title depend upon him was too much. The stress and nerves ate away at his energy reserves until it left him with a mind that was willing but a body that couldn't respond.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    I seem to be the only one who thinks that Nelson caught the dreaded Andrew Alton Syndrome. Nelson has never gassed in his entire career despite many multiple ot matches. Yet he was completely done by the 2nd period. I give Gwiz credit for being an active hvy but not for gassing Nelson. I think the combo of the pressure and anxiety of winning his 3rd title plus having the team title depend upon him was too much. The stress and nerves ate away at his energy reserves until it left him with a mind that was willing but a body that couldn't respond.
    He did crash in a big way right after that first takedown so you may be right. I think Howe also "bonked" big-time in his match, he looked super flat to me and he had a resigned look at the end that I have never seen him have before.

So, I am guessing that his undisclosed injury was an ankle injury - they seemed awfully quick at having an ankle brace ready. He looked entirely uncomfortable on his feet for the rest of the match - and clearly knew he was beat at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    So, I am guessing that his undisclosed injury was an ankle injury - they seemed awfully quick at having an ankle brace ready. He looked entirely uncomfortable on his feet for the rest of the match - and clearly knew he was beat at the end.
    That might explain his performance.
    Up to the finals however he looked really solids and after winning Big Tens he seemed to have put this year's losses behind and appeared to pulling away from the field. After he rode Gwiaz for the 2nd period, we thought the match was over.
    Side question: Did Gwiaz have choice in the 2nd and chose bottom? Not a good choice against Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    That might explain his performance.
    Up to the finals however he looked really solids and after winning Big Tens he seemed to have put this year's losses behind and appeared to pulling away from the field. After he rode Gwiaz for the 2nd period, we thought the match was over.
    Side question: Did Gwiaz have choice in the 2nd and chose bottom? Not a good choice against Nelson
    Nelson chose top in the 2nd. Gwiaz chose neutral in the 3rd.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.