Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Round thoughts??

Default First Round thoughts??

I thought Iowa was starting to peak at B1Gs, so I picked them. One bonus point win and three loses in the first round. Not out, but they've made it really tough on themselves. I thought PSU was starting to fade but they get 2 pins, a TF and an MD and only drop one match...

Dardanes losing to the Citadel kid was pretty amazing...

Default Re: First Round thoughts??

When you say PSU was fading, do you mean during the season? I think the first round went about as well as could be expected. Gulibon took the only loss, and that was to the 4 seed.

Iowa had two #5 seeds go down - that's a bad round. Not an epic disaster (Dardanes), but bad.

Iowa now has the chance to pick up some big bonus points in the consi's, could be a blessing in disguise, they're definitely not out of it.

Dardane's loss definitely hurts Minny but again he can make up for it in the wrestle-backs.

OSU had a good first round, can't think of anyone who was upset.

And PSU had about as good a first round as we could've hoped, need to keep it going!

Well, the second round was not nearly so good for PSU. English should have won, Dylan Alton (I know, i know) had a very winnable match, and the true disappointment - Morgan lost. Thanks to DT and ER for continuing with big bonus points for the day. Currently a 5 point lead part way through evening consolations.

The English loss was heartbreaking, he had it won, and the McIntosh loss hurts a lot in the team race. We were counting on his AA points and now to get there he has a very tough road including Perry from Bloomsburg. The day went from great to bleak in a hurry, hopefully we have a good showing in the quarters and consi's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nlion91 View Post
    The English loss was heartbreaking, he had it won, and the McIntosh loss hurts a lot in the team race. We were counting on his AA points and now to get there he has a very tough road including Perry from Bloomsburg. The day went from great to bleak in a hurry, hopefully we have a good showing in the quarters and consi's tomorrow.
    The good news is PSU is favored in almost all their five quarter finals matches with one toss-up (Brown vs. Evans). I would also expect them to score a lot of points in the consolations. Iowa put 6 in the quarters, but will be fortunate to put 3 in the semis. Oklahoma State also put 5 in the quarters and will probably get 3 into the semis. Minny put 6 in the quarters and will probably only get 2 into the semis.

Looking at draws and the way I expect things to go I still think it will be won by either Iowa or Penn State. Saying Iowa will be fortunate to get 3 in the semis is a stretch. They are favored at 133, 157 and 197. 285 and 174 are tossups. 125 is winnable but would definitely be an upset. I think 4-5 into the semis is entirely possible for the Hawks

It's going to be very interesting. I hope Minny and Iowa have very good rounds to keep the championship exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    Looking at draws and the way I expect things to go I still think it will be won by either Iowa or Penn State. Saying Iowa will be fortunate to get 3 in the semis is a stretch. They are favored at 133, 157 and 197. 285 and 174 are tossups. 125 is winnable but would definitely be an upset. I think 4-5 into the semis is entirely possible for the Hawks
    Good assessment. I think Clark will win if the refs don't allow Delgado to do his dance. Ramos appears to be struggling a bit with 2 close matches.