Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Freshmen will win a title this year?

Default Re: Which Freshmen will win a title this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I think Mega has a better chance at 33 next year. He can't take down the top two guys at 25 and he never will.
    if he doesn't redshirt. What about Jimmy or Conaway at 125, Mega at 133? Tough to figure out the best option for PSU at these weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I think Mega has a better chance at 33 next year. He can't take down the top two guys at 25 and he never will.
    I don't think Nico is big enough for 133. The big question is whether he is going to RS. He said that he was going to talk with his Dad and think about it in the off-season.

But I disagree that Nico couldn't win it next year at 125. He's lifetime 3-3 with Delgado. He's 1-3 against Garrett and Garrett poses a tougher match-up for him. All 3 losses to Garrett have followed the same pattern: Garrett gets the first 2 TD's and opens a decent lead. Nico takes him down in the 3rd period but it's too little too late. I will say too, that Garrett's first TD at NCAA's was NOT a TD. I don't know how the refs couldn't see it on replay--Garrett never had his other leg. The ESPN announcers thought it was a bad call too. Garrett deserved to win. . .just saying. But, if Nico can keep the score closer going into the 3rd period he can beat Garrett. Delgado is a toss-up.

I like Mega's chances at 133 better than 125. Garret seems to be pulling away and Delgado refuses to lose at NCAAs even when he is outwrestled.

Were Gulibon and Conaway undersized at 133 and better suited for 125?
    People who knew Gulibon from HS can't understand why he is just doing average in college.

Yes, Conaway is a true 125 pounder that was pushed up to 133. He would be very good at 125. I don't think Gulibon can get down to 125. Gulibon is certainly disappointed at how his career has gone so far. I think a combination of needing to be stronger and a loss of confidence have held him back this year. He's very talented and if he can mature more physically and get his confidence going he'll be a tough one. I haven't heard anything about Nico going up to 133 but he just doesn't look big enough to me for 133.

I'm not going to predict the champs for next year, but I will take a stab at the finals Matchups:

125 - Delgado vs Garrett
    133 - Schopp vs Waters
    141 - L. Steiber vs Retherford
    149 - H. Steiber vs Tsirtis
    157 - J. Green vs Realbuto
    165 - Dieringer vs Bo Jordan
    174 - Storley vs Marstellar
    184 - Dean vs Dechow
    197 - Cox vs Snyder
    Hwt - Gwiaz vs Coon

I haven't seen Bo Jordan wrestle, sounds like he'll be in the mix at 65 which is now an exciting weight class with Dieringer moving up.

174 should be deep again, with Storley, Evans, Kokesh and Brown all back (anyone of them could be in the finals, none would be a surprise), and Chance Marstellar in the mix (if he doesn't RS...or if he goes 57 instead of 74...anyone know?)

I see Cox and Kyle Snyder battling it out in the finals for 4 straight years unless one of them decides to move weight classes.

Check my math...Cox vs Snyder in the finals for 3 straight years (unless one of them RS's).

I think Mega should RS. It would give him a better shot at a title since he'd only have to get by Garrett. However, he doesn't seem like the type to hide from anyone, so I doubt he does. But I think it would be smart and PSU has Conaway to go right in there and give them another solid guy that would probably finish in the top 6 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigdmd View Post
    I'm not going to predict the champs for next year, but I will take a stab at the finals Matchups:

125 - Delgado vs Garrett
    133 - Schopp vs Waters
    141 - L. Steiber vs Retherford
    149 - H. Steiber vs Tsirtis
    157 - J. Green vs Realbuto
    165 - Dieringer vs Bo Jordan
    174 - Storley vs Marstellar
    184 - Dean vs Dechow
    197 - Cox vs Snyder
    Hwt - Gwiaz vs Coon

I haven't seen Bo Jordan wrestle, sounds like he'll be in the mix at 65 which is now an exciting weight class with Dieringer moving up.

174 should be deep again, with Storley, Evans, Kokesh and Brown all back (anyone of them could be in the finals, none would be a surprise), and Chance Marstellar in the mix (if he doesn't RS...or if he goes 57 instead of 74...anyone know?)

I see Cox and Kyle Snyder battling it out in the finals for 4 straight years unless one of them decides to move weight classes.
    I like the Dechow call. Never heard of him before the tournament, but he seemed to give Dean all he could handle and had a victory over Steinhaus. I think he was a Feshman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I like the Dechow call. Never heard of him before the tournament, but he seemed to give Dean all he could handle and had a victory over Steinhaus. I think he was a Feshman as well.

Dechow was a real surprise to me too--hadn't heard of him before the NCAA's. I watched several of his matches and he's good! I see that he was ranked 6th in 2012 at 182--behind Brooks and Reyes among others. Looks like he's come along nicely!