Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devin Carter back in the mix at 141.

Default Devin Carter back in the mix at 141.

With Devin Carter's return at 141, initially I was thinking the final rankings at this weight might end up:
    #1 - Port
    #2 - Steiber
    #3 - Carter
    #4 - Retherford

Intermat though has Carter 4th and Retherford 3rd. I wonder how the seedlings will shake out for ZR. Personally, I think ZR has a better shot at making the finals as a #4 seed than if he is a #3....as I think he is more likely to beat Port than Steiber (especially seeing the way Steiber took it to him in the B1G finals).

Regardless, it looks like the national title is firmly in the grip of Steiber now.

Default Re: Devin Carter back in the mix at 141.

Meant seedings...not seedlings. Damn autocorrect.

Hard to say, this is going to be a very interesting seeding. If I was going to place them in order of most probable to least probable to take the title, I'd go:

1. Steiber
    2. Carter
    3. Retherford
    4. Port

For seedings:
    1. Port
    2. Steiber
    3. Retherford
    4. Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Hard to say, this is going to be a very interesting seeding. If I was going to place them in order of most probable to least probable to take the title, I'd go:

1. Steiber
    2. Carter
    3. Retherford
    4. Port

For seedings:
    1. Port
    2. Steiber
    3. Retherford
    4. Carter
    i would not put Port below Carter by any means. Returning NCAA finalist, undefeated, nice mullet. But seriously, I think this guy is as good or better than Retherford and Carter. Based on common opponents with Retherford, this seems to be the case and I give him the nod based on experience. I'm hoping he wins it all actually but that will be a tall order.

Carter can be tough to figure. A healthy Carter can go with anybody. Except Steiber.
    I don't see enough of Port to make much of a judgement, but he barely squeaked Hunter last year as I recall. I think Logan beats him by 4-8. I wish Logan had a mullet.
    I'm wary of using common opponents when talking Retherford. His scores look close, but don't reflect how dominant he really was in a match. I'm not sure Carter can get out from underneath on Retherford even on a good day.
    It will be fun to watch.

I don't think Carter should be any higher than the 4th seed. He missed too many matches

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I don't think Carter should be any higher than the 4th seed. He missed too many matches
    Assuming that Port gets #1 seed and Steiber #2, I would think #4 is better seed than #3

Quote Originally Posted by jmpollo View Post
    Carter can be tough to figure. A healthy Carter can go with anybody. Except Steiber.
    I don't see enough of Port to make much of a judgement, but he barely squeaked Hunter last year as I recall. I think Logan beats him by 4-8. I wish Logan had a mullet.
    I'm wary of using common opponents when talking Retherford. His scores look close, but don't reflect how dominant he really was in a match. I'm not sure Carter can get out from underneath on Retherford even on a good day.
    It will be fun to watch.
    I agree that common opponents is generally not a reliable indicator of comparison but in this case it does show differences between the two. Retherford likes to keep it close but controlled, and while I don't consider Port to be an offensive dynamo I have noticed that his style does seem to cause things to open up a bit more, which he is very good at capitalizing on (a la Jeva and Spisak). He's conservatively dangerous if that makes sense. He looks like the biggest out of the four and appears to be as just as strong as any of them. I do think that it will be very tough for Port to beat Logan but of the three I think he has the best shot.
    Last edited by oldfart; 03-12-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Wrong info

Brackets are up. Port and Carter in the top half with Steiber and Retherford on the bottom.