Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any other teams just conceded whole seasons?

Default Do any other teams just conceded whole seasons?

Or is that just an Ohio State thing? I'm so freaking annoyed watching them give up on whole seasons. This is like the 3rd year that I can remember that they basically wave the white flag from the very beginning.
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

Default Re: Do any other teams just conceded whole seasons?

Now that I think about it, I believe Oklahoma did it last year. Its just so frustrating to watch.
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

Ohio State has been doing this ever since Ryan took over. The thing is that the perfect storm never happens and they always end up "waiting til next year".
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

They did have a couple of good seasons a few years back, around Jaggers' time. But yes it is strange how lately all the bullets never seem to get loaded into the gun at the same time.

I would say this time Ohio State is pretty well stocked to give it a real run next year. In fact, I might have them as my pre-season favorite.

I don't see anything wrong with redshirting kids and going for it next year. Especially incoming Freshmen. Ryan's logic as far as Bo Jordan is solid enough. He wants to be a 4-timer and he was going to be at 165 this year. At 165, he wasn't going to beat Taylor, so redshirting him, and their other stud freshmen so they're better prepared to compete next year makes sense. And if Stieber wants to win a NC in his last year....well, what's wrong with him redshirting as well?
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by louden swain View Post
    Or is that just an Ohio State thing? I'm so freaking annoyed watching them give up on whole seasons. This is like the 3rd year that I can remember that they basically wave the white flag from the very beginning.
    I'm right there with you. Just no fire or enthusiasm. I'd agree that their are some holes in the line up this year, but there are also some big name recruits who just aren't getting it done.

I want to believe its all good next year when Tomasello, Hunter and BoJo are in the line up, but whats to say they don't perform like Roberts, JDJ (recently), Martin, and Courts?? They just seem to come out consistently flat as a team...

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Ohio State has been doing this ever since Ryan took over. The thing is that the perfect storm never happens and they always end up "waiting til next year".
    Was tOSU better before Ryan? Haven't they been second twice since he has been there? I may be wrong on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger84 View Post
    I would say this time Ohio State is pretty well stocked to give it a real run next year. In fact, I might have them as my pre-season favorite.

I don't see anything wrong with redshirting kids and going for it next year. Especially incoming Freshmen. Ryan's logic as far as Bo Jordan is solid enough. He wants to be a 4-timer and he was going to be at 165 this year. At 165, he wasn't going to beat Taylor, so redshirting him, and their other stud freshmen so they're better prepared to compete next year makes sense. And if Stieber wants to win a NC in his last year....well, what's wrong with him redshirting as well?

I'd be ok with all the redshirting if they had any backups that are worth a crap. I mean, even the guys with very little talent seem to not care if they win or lose.

Since seeing this thread this AM I watched the first 5 bouts I taped of last night's tOSU vs Purdue match. I know that tOSU came back to win, but the first 5 bouts were horrible for tOSU. In 3 of the first 4 weights tOSU had the favored guy and he gets the initial TD only to lose the bout in the 3rd period. Even Stieber, despite getting a MD was up 11-1 going into the 3rd period and gives up a TD and gets ridden out the last minute of the match. The tOSU 157 pounder also lost to an unranked guy who wrestled most of his matches this year at 149. The Purdue guys all had more hustle in the 3rd period.

I know that tOSU has a ton of talent coming in next year, but they need to show more fight. Maybe they did in the last 5 bouts, but it sure didn't look good for the first 5 bouts.