Thread: Michigan vs Minnesota Results

Default Michigan vs Minnesota Results

Minny came up small from 41 through 57, jesus. Lost the match for them.

125 -- Conor Youtsey (U-M) dec. Sam Brancale, 12-6 U-M, 3-0
    133 -- #9 David Thorn (UMN) dec. Rossi Bruno, 10-7 Tied, 3-3
    141 -- Steve Dutton (U-M) major dec. Josh Shupe, 16-3 U-M, 7-3
    149 -- #12 Eric Grajales (U-M) dec. #2 Nick Dardanes, 6-4 U-M, 10-3
    157 -- #15 Brian Murphy (U-M) dec. #8 Dylan Ness, 5-3 U-M, 13-3
    165 -- #7 Dan Yates (U-M) dec. Brandon Kingsley, 7-5 U-M, 16-3
    174 -- #5 Logan Storley (UMN) major dec. Collin Zeerip, 15-4 U-M, 16-7
    184 -- #9 Kevin Steinhaus (UMN) dec. Domenic Abounader, 12-5 U-M, 16-10
    197 -- #1 Scott Schiller (UMN) major dec. Chris Heald, 13-4 U-M, 16-14
    Hwt -- #1 Adam Coon (U-M) dec. #2 Tony Nelson, 4-2, SV2 U-M, 19-14

Default Re: Michigan vs Minnesota Results

I am somewhat shocked that Nelson would drop this one with the match on the line (assuming they started at 125). As 2-time defending champ, you have got to find a way to beat a true freshman, even one as good as Coon. Maybe it's time for me to stop being surprised with Coon's wins.

I didn't see the Nelson-Coon match, but I heard that Coon had a number of decent shots in regulation but couldn't finish. I believe his TD was a counter of a Nelson shot in OT. Sounds like Nelson tried to take the match in his hands in OT and paid a price. Kudos to Coon. Pretty amazing for a true FR!! Now we'll have to see how he does with McMullan.

I was surprised that nelson couldn't keep him down longer. Coon was up and out in less than ten seconds both times. Nelson got behind Coon at one point, but before he was able to get him to the mat, Coon pulled him out of bounds. Should have been at least a stalling call on that one. Coon is very strong and not only held his ground in neutral.....but looked to be able to push Nelson around. Coon won this match on a Nelson mistake. I expect to see Nelson vs Coon in the NCAA finals this year.

Nelson could have not tried the td and taken it into ot riding time advantage. Hard to say there as both guys escaped in seconds
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

So the one time Nelson takes a shot, it ends up losing him the match? haha
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

Grajales is so inconsistent you never know what you are going to get with him. Crazy in my mind that he beat a solid guy like Dardanes. In previous years Grajales has been strong early but pretty much petered out come the NCAA's. We'll have to see if he has figured out how to beat those demons. The key to this match was the other Dardanes didn't wrestle. Anyone know why? Coon has been on fire. Ness must not be at 100 percent. I think this was his first match back.

Grajales seems to be a very, very mellow dude. After the match he actually gave a pretty good and honest interview to flo and the attitude he seems to have about his career and successes/failures in the sport is interesting. I think he was pretty high after the team got that win but he was very loose, almost giggly, during the interview and it seems that the most important thing to him is having fun and enjoying the college wrestling experience. Almost like a Ray Brinzer sort of vibe there.

Coon has been as impressive as any freshman I can remember. Unbelievable