Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project your team going forward based on what you've seen

Hybrid View

Default Project your team going forward based on what you've seen

It's mid-season and I was hoping to get your thoughts on what you have seen and what you expect out of your team going forward

My thoughts on Iowa

125- Gilman and Clark are both fantastic. It appears to be Gilman's job at this point, which I think he has earned. That being said, I think Clark is still the guy with the higher upside and could win it all if he gets his weight under control. Gilman's lack of consistent leg attacks and the fact that I don't see him scoring much bonus at nationals is a little concerning. I think Gilman wrestles the rest of the season as the Hawks starter and has a solid March. 3-6 solid AA

133- Has struggled a little more this season than I was expecting, but I still have confidence that he can get it done in March. He wrestled the type of match last night that he needs to against other top competition. Maintain position and take what is there. 1-4 and possible champ

141- If Josh gets his head on straight he can have an AA season but he needs to straighten things out. If he stops trying to force things on top and competes for the escape instead of constantly trying for the reversal he'll be in much better shape. These are things that can be corrected and I'm sure the Brands brothers are in his ear. 6-R12 or maybe lower if he doesn't tighten things up

149- Brody Grothus has gone from zero to hero in a matter of weeks. I went from thinking we were going to have trouble qualifying this weight at nationals to thinking we are going to have a seeded wrestler. I still think Maple wins this weight and I wouldn't put Grothus in the class of Houdesholt or Dardanes yet but think he has shown that he can beat any wrestler in this weight on any given night. I'm still not sure how good Brody is or can be. 4-R12 but don't hold me to it

157- DSJ is still the man and contrary to popular belief I think James Green is his biggest threat. I'm not as high on Dieringer as most folks and think he is being slightly overrated because he has mainly avoided the awesome talent in the Big 10 at this weight. I think DSJ repeats and I can't see him finishing lower than third even on his worst day. 1-3 finish and he is the favorite

165- I'm beginning to think that Nick Moore might have a chance at crashing the finals in March. He is significantly improved from the guy that we saw last year and has done a great job at getting to the legs of even elite defenders. If I had one complaint it would be that he is still getting ridden too much. 2-5 and is looking like a solid AA

174- Not enough improvement from neutral to beat the top guys. I hope he turns it on but right now I think he is solidly behind the top 5 and significantly ahead of the number 7 ranked guy. 6 on an island by himself

184- Lofthouse is Lofthouse. I am relatively confident he will AA but don't know if he'll finish second or sixth. 2-6 solid AA

197- I'm super happy the pulled his redshirt because he needs to AA if Iowa has any chance to win in March. He needs to make strides to get it done, but it's not impossible. R12 guy from what I've seen so far

285- Bobby has some nice wins, but he is getting nothing going offensively. I expected him to finish top 5 but am a little concerned about him right now. 3-6 solid AA

There is still a lot of season left and these projections are of course subject to change. I think that Iowa has the potential to AA at all 10 weights, but obviously am not predicting that to happen. I'm predicting 7-8 AA with a couple of guys in the finals and hopefully two champs. Lay out the projections for your teams and let me know what you think of these.

Default Re: Project your team going forward based on what you've seen

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    It's mid-season and I was hoping to get your thoughts on what you have seen and what you expect out of your team going forward

My thoughts on Iowa

125- Gilman and Clark are both fantastic. It appears to be Gilman's job at this point, which I think he has earned. That being said, I think Clark is still the guy with the higher upside and could win it all if he gets his weight under control. Gilman's lack of consistent leg attacks and the fact that I don't see him scoring much bonus at nationals is a little concerning. I think Gilman wrestles the rest of the season as the Hawks starter and has a solid March. 3-6 solid AA

133- Has struggled a little more this season than I was expecting, but I still have confidence that he can get it done in March. He wrestled the type of match last night that he needs to against other top competition. Maintain position and take what is there. 1-4 and possible champ

141- If Josh gets his head on straight he can have an AA season but he needs to straighten things out. If he stops trying to force things on top and competes for the escape instead of constantly trying for the reversal he'll be in much better shape. These are things that can be corrected and I'm sure the Brands brothers are in his ear. 6-R12 or maybe lower if he doesn't tighten things up

149- Brody Grothus has gone from zero to hero in a matter of weeks. I went from thinking we were going to have trouble qualifying this weight at nationals to thinking we are going to have a seeded wrestler. I still think Maple wins this weight and I wouldn't put Grothus in the class of Houdesholt or Dardanes yet but think he has shown that he can beat any wrestler in this weight on any given night. I'm still not sure how good Brody is or can be. 4-R12 but don't hold me to it

157- DSJ is still the man and contrary to popular belief I think James Green is his biggest threat. I'm not as high on Dieringer as most folks and think he is being slightly overrated because he has mainly avoided the awesome talent in the Big 10 at this weight. I think DSJ repeats and I can't see him finishing lower than third even on his worst day. 1-3 finish and he is the favorite

165- I'm beginning to think that Nick Moore might have a chance at crashing the finals in March. He is significantly improved from the guy that we saw last year and has done a great job at getting to the legs of even elite defenders. If I had one complaint it would be that he is still getting ridden too much. 2-5 and is looking like a solid AA

174- Not enough improvement from neutral to beat the top guys. I hope he turns it on but right now I think he is solidly behind the top 5 and significantly ahead of the number 7 ranked guy. 6 on an island by himself

184- Lofthouse is Lofthouse. I am relatively confident he will AA but don't know if he'll finish second or sixth. 2-6 solid AA

197- I'm super happy the pulled his redshirt because he needs to AA if Iowa has any chance to win in March. He needs to make strides to get it done, but it's not impossible. R12 guy from what I've seen so far

285- Bobby has some nice wins, but he is getting nothing going offensively. I expected him to finish top 5 but am a little concerned about him right now. 3-6 solid AA

There is still a lot of season left and these projections are of course subject to change. I think that Iowa has the potential to AA at all 10 weights, but obviously am not predicting that to happen. I'm predicting 7-8 AA with a couple of guys in the finals and hopefully two champs. Lay out the projections for your teams and let me know what you think of these.
    Apart from lowering the ceiling on Lofthouse, I think you did a great job here.

NO HOLES is key to winning a title especially against PSU.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Well, I'll give it a shot for PSU:

125--No one is a lock here with anyone of 4 guys capable of winning 1-4
    133--Gulibon is tremendously talented but had weight issues and lost his confidence with a number of close losses. After the Scuffle he's starting to find his way back again, but still admits he's not his normally aggressive style yet. Seems like he has his weight under control now. 133 is a very tough weight 6th to R12
    141--Retherford is the real deal. He's still young and his scores are close against top guys making it hard to run the table (unless you're a Russell, which he may be). Don't think he's going to beat Stieber at NCAA's.2-4
    149--This is really hard to predict. AA is hugely talented, but had a number of issues affecting his performance last year. It's too early to see how it plays out this year. I'm optimistic that he puts it together this year, but we'll see. He's more than a throwing wonder. 4-R12
    157--I think Dylan has been more consistent than Andrew overall. He could win it all, but there are a lot of tough guys here. 1-5
    165--#1 Doesn't need much commentary
    174--A very deep weight. Howe almost certain to win. Perry really handled him at the Scuffle, but I'm not sure that will necessarily work out the same next time, but Perry would be favored. Brown's beaten most everyone else, but could also lose on a give day. 2-5
    184--#1 Doesn't need much commentary--that's what I would have written 2 weeks ago. Now #1--but there will certainly be drama if he meets up with Dean, perhaps in the semis. I don't see Ed losing to him next time, but it will definitely be a much-anticipated re-match! I look for Ed to come back against him kind of like he did against Amuch 2 years ago. #1
    197--This is really hard to pick. MM hasn't looked nearly as aggressive recently as he used to. I'm suspecting confidence issues. Some attribute it to his short height for 197. A lot depends on how effective the coaching staff is in getting him to wrestle his style. 3-8
    Hwt--Lawson is tremendously talented, but he also is struggling in getting his offense going. He has a great double, but tends not to use it against good guys. He has AA potential, but I suspect he will be more like R12

I see tOsu with 5 AAs (1 champ) and a "wait til next season" swagger.

Dijulius, Stieber, Paddock, Courts and Heflin AA. Stieber wins his third title.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I see tOsu with 5 AAs (1 champ) and a "wait til next season" swagger.

Dijulius, Stieber, Paddock, Courts and Heflin AA. Stieber wins his third title.
    How much confidence do you have in Paddock? He has had some head scratching losses so far this year

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    How much confidence do you have in Paddock? He has had some head scratching losses so far this year
    I am over 50% confident but not overwhelmingly so. I just know he has the talent. I want to think he will put it together for an AA finish.

Truthfully though, if I weren't a Buckeye fan I wouldn't predict it.

Nice realistic writeup Tom, but I'm surprised that you say Howe is almost certain to win 74. I think the top 4 are pretty interchangeable - Brown impresses me more every time I see him wrestle. For some reason I thought he was kind of a stiff wrestler when I first saw him but he's actually pretty smooth and powerful at the same time. I don't think Howe has improved since his freshman year, he's at his ceiling now. Brown still has room for growth, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Nice realistic writeup Tom, but I'm surprised that you say Howe is almost certain to win 74. I think the top 4 are pretty interchangeable - Brown impresses me more every time I see him wrestle. For some reason I thought he was kind of a stiff wrestler when I first saw him but he's actually pretty smooth and powerful at the same time. I don't think Howe has improved since his freshman year, he's at his ceiling now. Brown still has room for growth, imo.
    Well, FTN, part of my thinking is watching Brown wrestle Howe at the all-star. Even though the score was only 4-3 (thanks to some stalling calls) it just didn't look like Brown could penetrate Howe's defense--didn't really have any offense (unlike when he wrestles others). Granted, that was the first match of the season. But, I'm also basing it on how Howe (no pun intended) has looked in the past. I hope I'm wrong, but for the time being I'm putting Howe ahead of everyone else. It didn't hurt that Howe beat Perry who put a beating on Brown at the Scuffle.

Since Tom already did PSU, I'll give my OU projections...

125- Patterson is an incredible wrestler, but struggles against the higher ranked guys. His top game and neutral defense keep matches tight, but he'll have to open up his game to make a run. 4-8

133- Another solid wrestler who struggles against the elite. He has the talent to knock off a high seed and crash the semis, but I don't see it happening this year. 6-R12

141- I'm not too optimistic about Lester in March. Granted, he AA'd in 2012 and he is a hammer on top, but he's too inconsistent. He doesn't seem to have improved much in 4 years, but I hope he proves me wrong. 7-R12

149- Tougher weight class than I expected, but I still see Maple navigating through and winning his 2nd NCAA title. 1-2

157- DeAngelis has had quiet, yet solid season (11-3). I have a feeling he'll make a statement at NCAAs and knock off 1-2 higher seeds. 7-R12

165- If Glass qualifies, he'll either go 2 and out or pull 1 win. DNP

174- Brutal weight!! I see Perry and Howe in the finals, meeting for their 4th time this year. Until the next two matches go down, I have no idea who will win in March. I think Brown and Kokesh have the talent to crash the finals, but I don't see it. 1-2

184- Chaid has had a great Freshman season where he's improved a lot. He is a dangerous wrestler with some future potential. He'll win 2/lose 2. DNP

197- So far this season...Rutt has met every expectation. His strength and aggressiveness make him a bad match-up for most, but I see a few guys giving him some problems in the quarters (Cox, McIntosh, Meeks) based on his draw. He could have a great tournament and win it, or struggle and get 6th. 1-6

HWT- Larson has a ton of talent for an undersized heavyweight, but the best I think he'll do is R12.

I have OU getting 5 AAs (possibly 6) with 2 champs (possibly 3). If Maple and Howe win, they will squeeze into the top-5.