Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern Scuffle Picks

Default Re: Southern Scuffle Picks

Props to Dean! Knocking off Pfarr, Steinhaus and then, of course, Ruth... The dude is for real.

One thing to note about the Scuffle results. It's true that PSU had a few disappointments. But Minnesota had a disastrous tournament in a number of ways--starting with the semis. They are a better team than they showed at the Scuffle. We haven't heard the last of them. They are very balanced and if they get hot, are a real force to be reckoned with. The PSU-Minn dual will be very interesting.

That is hard to believe. I'd love to watch the match to see how he did it. No one has stayed with Ruth for years. Is this the making of another Dake?

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    This kid Dean is for real. Ruth pinned him in November. Pretty good turnaround. It reminds me of the Scuffle 3 years ago. At that time FR Ruth beat #1 Lewnes of Cornell. Now FR Dean beats #1 Ruth. I think Ruth will win in March but it really is a wake-up call. Dean's win was no fluke. He flat out beat Ruth today! The Scuffle is a good place for come-out parties for freshmen!!

So, anything earth-shattering happen in the wrestling world today?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Nothing major. Waiting to see an upset or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Unbelievable that Ruth got beat.
    I have never heard of Dean.
    Was he that big of a recruit out of HS? I don't follow HS wrestling that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Unbelievable that Ruth got beat.
    I have never heard of Dean.
    Was he that big of a recruit out of HS? I don't follow HS wrestling that closely.
    Crazy thing is, no. Read an article about him and while he was a very good high school guy (won states junior year and came in second his senior year), he did it basically with power/athletic ability and he actually got more attention for his football (quarterback). I don't think anyone really recruited him as he was totally raw coming out of h.s. Apparently he got his arse beat up pretty good in his greyshirt year but steadily picked up a bunch working with Cam Simaz through that year. In the article Damion Hahn says that he is miserable to wrestle against and that he is not even close to being done learning college level wrestling which is amazing. This guy may end up being scary good.

Ruth may get another shot at this guy and he better be ready. Seeing the match, Ruth didn't really look to be off his game but Dean just looked bigger and stronger than Ed and unbelievably, he broke him which I never thought I would see anyone do to Ruth. Taco Bell jokes aside, Ruth better get his ass back into gear.

Actually, I think the Taco Bell jokes might have some meaning here. I'm really curious how that match goes with Ed having wrestled in competition as opposed to being suspended.

No offense to Lofhouse, but going into the Scuffle, Ed had wrestled 12 matches: he was challenged in exactly zero (including pinning Dean in 1:24 at Binghamton). I think after having 5 matches in 2 days against starting competition after the long lay off (Mat Town, ahem), he was not ready to be pushed. I bet this will light a fire.

As a separate note, and a bit of a backhanded compliment to Rob Koll, this is exactly what I think of in Cornell wrestling. This match reminded me a lot of Q's match with Bosack; Bosack slowed things down, held good position, defended well, and did enough to win. Ed was sloppier against Dean (Dean's first take down, the stall point for lack of mat return), than Q was, but both seem like similar wins for Cornell. And a win is a win...

I read an article that Dean was recruited by Michigan State, Michigan, and Central Michigan and that he had a 3.8 gpa in high school. His dad was his high school coach and his dad was hired by Cornell to be the Olympic Development Coach and moved the whole family to NY last year.