Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hodge trophy, who ya got?

Default Re: Hodge trophy, who ya got?

That explains why I never won the Hodge.

Looks like the discussion of Taylor Walsh's candidacy is over!

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Vais--I don't think Ed will get it, but I would like to see it. His career is definitely deserving (as noted above, I think he should have won it in 2012). He's a great kid from all I've heard (who did something very stupid!). If he continues his domination this year, I would like to see him get it. But, I think it will be DT.

Stieber would have definitely been in the picture until his recent loss. Howe will likely end up undefeated, but don't see him piling on the bonus as much as others (especially the TF's and Falls).
    Howe's only decisions to this point are over Perry and Kokesh. He's been pretty dominant. And while he may not have the same TF's and Pins as Taylor, isn't the award supposed to go to the best wrestler? Does anyone believe that Taylor would have beaten Howe if he'd gone to 165? Now Ruth vs Howe may be different.

You're really splitting hairs at that level, but I like Howe. He should end up with 2/1/3(injured)/1.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger84 View Post
    Howe's only decisions to this point are over Perry and Kokesh. He's been pretty dominant. And while he may not have the same TF's and Pins as Taylor, isn't the award supposed to go to the best wrestler? Does anyone believe that Taylor would have beaten Howe if he'd gone to 165? Now Ruth vs Howe may be different.

You're really splitting hairs at that level, but I like Howe. He should end up with 2/1/3(injured)/1.
    My understanding is that falls and TF's are quite significant in determining the Hodge winner.

My understanding is that falls and TF's are quite significant in determining the Hodge winner.

Well, it's voted on by more than 40 different Journalists, former Coaches. So...yeah, I'm sure as with anything, the OU at a particular tournament, or other sports like in football, stats are going to play a big part. But at the end, it comes down to people voting for who they think is the best College Wrestler. Right now Howe is 12-0 and has been pretty dominant.

I think Howe's running at least 2nd right now behind Taylor and perhaps Ruth, but again, just my opinion, I'd have Taylor down a few spots.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Howe needs to pin more if he wants to win the Hodge. He's gotten better with his offense, but he's no David Taylor. Criteria is as follows:

1. Record,
    2. number of pins,
    3. dominance on the mat,
    4. past credentials,
    5. quality of competition,
    6. sportsmanship/citizenship,
    7. heart.

David Taylor is the clear leader now. IMO, Ed Ruth would/should have been in the lead except for his "citizenship" slip up.

You got that right. Walsh tried to slop his way through the match and St. John is so technically sound that slop stuff won't work. One mistake though and Walsh can certainly make you pay. I was on the edge of my couch waiting for something big to happen.

Looks like the discussion of Taylor Walsh's candidacy is over!

I don't know how the heck Colon lost to DiJulius, but without that blemish on his record I'd be voting for him. I've never seen anyone just manhandle Ramos like he did. Colon is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger84 View Post
    Does anyone believe that Taylor would have beaten Howe if he'd gone to 165?
    I do.