Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Duos

Default Re: Dynamic Duos

That is not what I am looking for.
    I thought of him immediately, but I didn't have much access to Iowa wrestling information while he was wrestling. So I only found out about his real performance after the fact. In the best year they had together, Ironside had bonus points in about 2/3 of his matches but the next year bonused in 28/33 matches. So those two are right up there. Williams I knew the least about of the three.
    Metcalf is an interesting one - (if my internet homework is right....) sophomore year he won the Hodge, but he lost a match that year, so how massive a favorite was he coming in? The next year he lost in the final, but everyone has to see that might happen given he had lost to Caldwell before. His senior year he came in with a loss, (and had a tight final match) so again, how big a favorite was he to bonus his way through.

Borschel is another interesting one - solid Junior year, great senior year. But was he even the 1 seed with Lewnes in the same weight class?

So part of this is being an all-time level wrestler, the other is making sure you don't have another all-time wrestler in your weight class (Dake/Taylor kind of thing)

J Jaggers and Mike Pucillo

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I cant speak to the ones from the 90s but I disagree with almost all of your recent examples. Andrew Long / Jay borschel were never massive dominating favorites, and long never even won a title. Did Metcalf and McDonough even wrestle on the same team ever?
    I don't know how much Herkey read the original question.

I think he just saw the number 2 and began to list good wrestlers on the same team.

Most of the current examples were pretty bad Herk. I'm disappointed.

McD wasn't a dominating favorite. He didn't win his conference(actually, Metcalf didn't either).
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I don't know how much Herkey read the original question.

I think he just saw the number 2 and began to list good wrestlers on the same team.

Most of the current examples were pretty bad Herk. I'm disappointed.

McD wasn't a dominating favorite. He didn't win his conference(actually, Metcalf didn't either).

blah blah blah. maybe they werent favorites but they were pretty dominant and won a lot of matches by bonus points. Who were your examples?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

BBL is looking for a team that had two hammers that were overwhelming favorites going into the year and ran roughshod over everyone on their way to a NCAA title. Walked the talk.

Pendleton & Mocco in 2005 might apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    BBL is looking for a team that had two hammers that were overwhelming favorites going into the year and ran roughshod over everyone on their way to a NCAA title. Walked the talk.
    Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Troy Steiner 91-92
    Lincoln McIlravy, Terry Steiner 92-93
    Joe Williams, Bill Zadick 95-96
    Lee Fullhart, Mark Ironside, Lincoln McIlravy, Joe Williams 96-97
    Mark Ironside, Jeff McGinness, Joe Williams 97-98
    Eric Juergens, TJ Williams 00-01
    Brent Metcalf, Mark Perry 07-08

All were favorites and all won titles. All may not have been massive favorites or won every match by bonus point victories but there wasnt much doubt about any of them. Some may have had good matches with rivals such as Fullhart and Hartung but all came out on top in the end. None may have had the types of seasons that Taylor an Ruth will have this year. I can't remember any of them being suspended for breaking team rules either.

I'm sure there were more examples from Iowa in the 80's but I was too young and my Iowa fanaticism starts in the 90's.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

There have certainly been a few "murderer's row" kind of doubles, triples, etc, and yes, I'm certain Iowa has the most. I was just kind of thinking, crap, what if there had been two Gables on that team?

Jaggers and Pucillo are really interesting examples. Jaggers had a habit of losing during the year, then drinking his own blood and winning the tournament. Pucillo would have been smoked if Herbert had wrestled that year (IMO), but with Herbert out, things were different. I had forgotten that Pucillo beat Varner in the finals, not a bad win on a career resume.

Metcalf and Perry is an interesting one

I know Okie State had 5 champs one year during their run in the mid 2000s, but I think Hendricks and Rosholt were the only ones to repeat
    Gold is an idiot.