Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Duos

Default Re: Dynamic Duos

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I cant speak to the ones from the 90s but I disagree with almost all of your recent examples. Andrew Long / Jay borschel were never massive dominating favorites, and long never even won a title. Did Metcalf and McDonough even wrestle on the same team ever?
    Maybe they weren't favorites to begin the season and Long never was the favorite to win against McDonough but he certainly put the bonus points on people and was favored in 95% of his matches. Borschel certainly put the bonus on almost everyone too and was considered a pretty big favorite in almost all of his matches. And yes, Metcalf and McDonough did wrestle on the same team.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

You could also throw in Joe Williams with Lincoln Mac. Joe liked to keep it close but his matches were never in doubt.

Ironside, Williams, McIllravy

Jurgens and TJ Williams

Davis and Zalesky
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Maybe Chuck Yagla and Chris Campbell in 1976
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

How about the entire 97 Hawkeye team?

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Metcalf and McDonough wrestled on IOwa's last championship team, Metcalf's RS Senior year and McDonough's RS Freshman year.
    Ok, but that was the year that Esco and Nickerson were at the same weight, so McD wasn't even favored to make the finals, much less win a title. Hardly fits the description I would say
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    Ok, but that was the year that Esco and Nickerson were at the same weight, so McD wasn't even favored to make the finals, much less win a title. Hardly fits the description I would say
    I knew McDonough was going to win the whole year.

Herkey, I assume you are throwing out some homer humor, but I'm actually looking for some real answers.
    I like McDonough, but he didn't have any undefeated seasons, right?
    McIlravy was great and is a better example, but he scored bonus in a a little over half his matches during one undefeated year. His senior year he had already had a couple tighter matches.

Gable would be very near the top of the list. Putting McDonough on that list is kinda belittles what Gable did

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Herkey, I assume you are throwing out some homer humor, but I'm actually looking for some real answers.
    I like McDonough, but he didn't have any undefeated seasons, right?
    McIlravy was great and is a better example, but he scored bonus in a a little over half his matches during one undefeated year. His senior year he had already had a couple tighter matches.

Gable would be very near the top of the list. Putting McDonough on that list is kinda belittles what Gable did
    What youre probably looking for is for someone to say, "No, this is the first time two guys on the same team have ever been favorites and scored a lot of bonus points." Theyre not and if Lincoln Mac doesn't fit your description, then nobody will.