Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telford off to dominate start

Default Telford off to dominate start

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...112013aab.html

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The ultimate goal, whether something as big as winning the Dan Hodge Trophy or something as little as keeping a teammate quiet, is insignificant: the fact is, University of Iowa heavyweight wrestler Bobby Telford is on a roll.

A five falls in five matches roll.

On Nov. 16 at the Luther Open in Decorah, Iowa, Telford pinned his first four opponents in 43, 41, 49, and 37 seconds before having to actually break a sweat while pinning Wartburg's Ryan Fank in 4:42.

"That's the whole point of wrestling, it's to pin people," Telford said. "It's not to major people, it's not to tech them, or to win by the seat of your pants, it's to pin them."

Telford is on an eight-match winning streak, second on the team to defending NCAA champion Derek St. John, who has won 12 consecutive matches at 157 pounds. He is one of nine Hawkeyes with five victories, but the only one with five falls. It has sparked a competition in the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex between Telford, 133-pounder Tony Ramos, and 174-pounder Mike Evans, to see who can record the most pins this season.

"That's the whole point of wrestling, it's to pin people. It's not to major people, it's not to tech them, or to win by the seat of your pants, it's to pin them."
    Bobby Telford
    UI heavyweight wrestler

"I don't know if it is just Ramos chit-chatting like always, he always wants to stir up something," Telford said. "I ended up with five pins and Ramos had something to say about how he only had three. It's a fun little competition. It was a tournament where you could get falls."

UI head coach Tom Brands caught wind of the rivalry and smiles.

"You're undefeated and you have a lot of falls, you're winning the Hodge Trophy," Brands said. "That's a good accolade to have on your credential list."

More
    http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...112013aab.html
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Default Re: Telford off to dominate start

If he could wrestle D3's all season he would be dominant.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    If he could wrestle D3's all season he would be dominant.
    And Tony Nelson would score more than three points

Ha, good one.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Yeah, Telford was dominant at Luther but he should have been. I'll be impressed when he beats some DI studs and doesnt lose to fOSU duds. I know he can. I don't think Nelson will be able to stall his way to another title.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Looks like Bobby is going to miss a little time with an undisclosed injury. Doesn't sounds like anything too serious but it still sucks

It's a knee injury but who knows how serious it is?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    Looks like Bobby is going to miss a little time with an undisclosed injury. Doesn't sounds like anything too serious but it still sucks
    He's healthy, yet banged up. Clear as day from Coach Brands!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

But it's his left knee and it's pretty obvious if you watched the duals last night.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.